WCOOP Main Event Strategy

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Job!!! 260th for $9K - that is absolutely fantastic!!!!! (I'm going to bed now - lol ) Enjoy your cash and don't spend it all in one place!!!

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES INDEED!!!! $9k Sound OK by me!!!

Congrats on this man. GREAT JOB. your ROI has to be through the roof on this.

Good Job!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A big congrats to you Jag. Very well done sir.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats Jagsti

Very well done and enjoy your win! :D

Snow :cool:

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats, Jagsti! Very nice cash.
Bet you're glad you didn't cash it out now. :)

What a long game though.
Enjoy your Zzzzz's.

ace2daface

ace2daface

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nice cash sir. WTG. Good advice throughout also Stormraven.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I went to bed on you at ~1AM. It was nice to live everything I missed through Storm Ravens updates. VN cash Jag. Well deserved.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - I should have stayed up all night lol. Great job Jay!!!!!

I told you to just play this event and be done with it. Very nice cash.

And thanks for the updates Storm - I didn't miss too much after all - it was all here in the thread.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll post a little summary of how I thought the night went.

My 1st table, which I was at for a few hours was made up with a couple of loose aggro players, quite a few calling stations and one or 2 TAGS, including myself :). This was a deepstacked, slow structured tourny with 20k stacks, blinds starting at 25/50 and 30 min levels. Now I checked one or two of the players out and some of them had made over $100k in tourny winnings, but to be honest I was quite surprised at how bad they were. They were very loose, playing pots oop and calling 3bets a lot, but I suppose with the stacks so deep this probably allowed for that. Not sure about calling so many 3bets oop though. They were opening up with all sorts of crap from ep, it was quite an eye opener tbh.

It wasn't like I was a total nit though, I think my stats were something like 15/12/inf for the majority of the tourny until the last hour were I just had to fold to the money. Anyways I really was card dead for a lot of hours, and it was really difficult to get to open raise any pots as by the time it got to me, I was probably facing at least a 2bet if not 3bet.

SO for the 1st 3-4 hours my stack was just hovering around the original starting stack of 20k give or take 5k. There was a hand that came up that really knocked me back when I was at around 22k in chips. I'd previously just had 2 raises, with trash, re-raised so I was getting a little frustrated. I was in mp and it was folded to me, I was looking at 67s, which after so long being card dead looked like AA. Anyways I raised it up and got the BB to call, he was a bit of a calling station btw. So flop comes down 845, 2 to the flush giving me the nut straight. I bet approx 3/4 pot and he calls, turn hits a 7 and gives 3 to the flush. He chks again and I bet around 1/2 pot to which he min r/r, for some reason I insta called. Probably coz I was frustrated that I'd had nothing for almost the entire tourny and didn't want to let this monster go. The river came and made 4 to a flush my hand was pretty much dead, I considered bluffing but he really was bad so it went chk/chk he shows 96o to make a 9 high flush. I was pretty disgusted with my turn play and I'd lost over 1/2 my stack.

Got it back up within the hour to around starting stack again when I had some amazing luck. Stack had dwindled to around 20bb's and I was given KQo in mp. again this looked like AA and I pushed as by this time I was getting pushed around. Well the btn flats and the SB pushes with the btn pushing as well and I was fearing the worse when they turned over JJ and QQ. I was crushed hoping for a 3 outer and low and behold Stars delivers with a K on the flop. So a nice little treble up gets me back to just over starting stack again.

It was becoming increasingly difficult to steal any blinds coz the table was so loose and to some extent I was getting blinded away. I was just trying to remain patient given the circumstances and was waiting for my chance. The next hand of note was pretty frustrating, I was in late position with an increasingly dwindling stack and a nit/tag raised it up from utg, it's folded to me otb with AA. Now literally 2 hands previously I'd just called an all in with KJ in a btn v BB confrontation v a big chip stack LAG on the button, so I was hoping for some action with my AA in this hand. I was tempted to just flat but tbh, I thought the fishier play was to just shove given my image from the previous all in. Sohe tanks and eventually folds when he was getting like 3/1 on his money all most.

After that hand I was getting moved around a little and my stack was just hovering around the 20k again. We'd been playing for about 10-11 hours now and I was absolutely knackered as it was like 8am or something. I was now pretty much confined to push or fold mode and the closer it got to the money I was literally gonna fold any hand. I've been in situations like this before and the question crops up a number of times, if you get AA/KK would you fold as you approach the bubble. Well it's obv tourny dependant and involves a lot of factors, but in this case, I'd made my mind up that cashing was my number 1 priority given the stack I had to work with. I was basically hamstrung. If it was a lower buy in event, then I'd probably have approached it differently, but in summary, I folded hands like TT, AQ when in normal circs I probably would have pushed. After 12 hour so of play the bubble came and went and I managed to get 2 levels past the min payout just by strategically stalling earning me another $1100. It wasn't like I could have pushed coz again I was very card dead. Got to double up with 97s v 96o, then I get 87s which lokked ever so nice and shoved from LP, only to go out to 77.

So after 12 hours of tortuous play, were for the last 5 hours or so I was hovering around 20-30bb's, I achieved my goal. Yeah it would have been so much more enjoyable getting a nice double up early on and trying to play some poker to get deep, but it wasn't to be. I'm not moaning about that coz that's how these things play out. I'm quite proud I lasted so long with a low stack... I just wonder what would have been if I'd pushed with the TT/AQ hmmmm.......

Thanks again guys for the rail and support.

Attachments

• WCOOP.jpg
    WCOOP.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think given the circumstances of this tournie just going for the cash was a smart move. The difference in cashing and not cashing was just too much money.

You were right to not be trying to steal so many blinds from position with crap cards against players who were calling a lot. You probably wouldn't have lasted if you had done that. Sometimes you will get blinded out like that - but other times the opportunity you are waiting for comes along and you can get back in it like you did.

At any rate - you surpassed your goal of at least making the minimum cash.

Great job!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice report Jay. Why are you still up???

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TY all! I tried to give good advice based on many years of playing mtt's but by golly a $5200 buy in? The largest buy in I've ever done is $550 - so HUGE difference! I've played the Sunday Million a few times but only when I was able to win a set via sat. Was afraid of given bad advice but one thing I've noticed, and I'm sure most of you have as well, that it is so much easier to get reads when you aren't the one in the hand! LOL!

I seriously was on pins and needles throughout this! Jag was so card dead for so long and that first table he was there forever and getting beat up on pretty bad. There were a lot of LAG's & calling stations - was a really bad table to be at when card dead. Him getting moved is what saved his arse. The other tables had a few nits and he did a good job of picking them out and putting the right amount of pressure on them at the right times to steal some chips.

Anyways, Jag did good and it was fun to watch! Now off to the doctors with me, think my cold has turned into bronchitis - yuck!

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
O, wtg Jay. Big Congrats, watched for a little while last night when you were a bit lowstacked with a long way to go. Great job hanging in there and cashing in a tough field.

Last edited:
tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Job! It was fun to watch last night for awhile.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats Jagsti, must have been a scary-ass bubble.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on a big win and a well played tourney Jagsti!

Just looking at the final 10 people in the tourney and there are two that I noticed from your tables when I was watching so that makes it an even better win for ya ;)

Edit: just looking into one of them who is chip leader atm, he also won the 10k buyin horse tourney that started yesterday :O

Last edited:
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good job on the cash, Jagsti! Plus an awesome thread to read as well.

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you jsut need to get all the chips at the table and your done, not?

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good read!! before my Sunday Storm 200k Guaranteed. GL to me :)