Variance of satellite tournaments

glaucos

glaucos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
How to explain the absurd variance of satellite tournaments? Bad is often about worse hands, everyone believes in All in lol, how to play better in a satellite tournament?

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Easy peasy. Its random.
But can you beat them?
I love beating them...you just have to know when to play and when to fold.
Also...just last long enough and most of the bingo players will be gone.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How to explain the absurd variance of satellite tournaments? Bad is often about worse hands, everyone believes in All in lol, how to play better in a satellite tournament?
Pick better satellite tournaments.

There is variation in the format of satellite tournaments just like with regular tournaments. The rules for push/fold, ranges, etc. will vary depending on the buy-in, the speed, and the prize structure amongst other things.

If you play crappy penny or freeroll satellites that have a single ticket as the prize, for example, then don't expect anything less than a crappy slot machine poker experience.

If there's nothing else to take away from the modern online poker experience, then at least keep in mind that it's your time that you are putting into this game so you may as well pick worthwhile things to spend it on.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In general, don't play satellites. It takes time and mental energy away from "real" poker games. Start with lower buy-ins and work yourself up in levels.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If it's a freeroll satellite, I recommend you wait for a pair or an Ace and go all-in. If you manage to double, start tightening your range, as you now have a stack that can be worked with. If you lose, you won't spend hours playing to die on the edge of the bubble.

I particularly like playing 888Poker's $0.10 step. By playing solidly it is possible to get the ticket more than 70% of the time. Then I use the ticket in a $1 buyin tournament.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've never won all these satellite steps before, I watch me play there regularly, I see that their strategy is every push ace, someone is fluffy, and you cover it, come in with any hand)

Poker Tells