Using the time clock near the bubble

pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if only a couple players need to bust to put you in the money. seems rude. but that time may allow a couple to bust out with several tables going. and you have short stack. if the flop is paired, should you fold to a big raise with 2 pair?

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if only a couple players need to bust to put you in the money. seems rude. but that time may allow a couple to bust out with several tables going. and you have short stack. if the flop is paired, should you fold to a big raise with 2 pair?

I think the answer to your question would depend on how big the raise is, how loose/tight the raiser has been playing and how much of your stack you would stand to lose if you lose the hand.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some good advice I heard this week is don't be afraid of the bubble. :) Most players are afraid and fold often. This is an opportunity for you to take the blinds and other bets. If you're not worried about a draw knocking out your two pair, play it like you would any other time in the game.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your stack is smaller than your opponent and your goal is to jump the bubble, then don't play. If you aspire to the first place, then play and pretend to be a maniac.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's one of the worst things to have on a table: someone that, when it's his time to play, just keeps looking, and looking, and looking...man, that player will never get to the top, it's useless playing afraid.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Yes. A lot of factors come into play, here. 1: do you have the top 2 pair; 2: do u have the raiser out-chipped; 3: How much time is left until the next blind; 4: are you willing to sacrifice your tourney life on a 'maybe'?, 5,and most importantly: is the last paying spot worth a shove or fold? :eek:

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can bend if your decision is not dictated by fear but by reason and an overall strategy of the game. If you think you can reach your goal without taking more risk it is normal to throw some hands.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Near the bubble if I'm shorted stacked I run my time down to I just need to use my time bank and fold. Then just before hand to hand play I will empty my time bank if needed.

To many unknowns with you question about a paired flop. Position, Relative Stack Sizes, Player Tenancies.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The simple answer about using the clock if you are anywhere near the bubble is yes, use it.
Its not at all rude to use every second , every hand the entire game. Its yours, use it or don't. But at the bubble run it out. Bust the bubble, do your normal. Whatever that may be.

pokercuttlefish

pokercuttlefish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if only a couple players need to bust to put you in the money. seems rude. but that time may allow a couple to bust out with several tables going. and you have a short stack. if the flop is paired, should you fold to a big raise with 2 pair?
two separate. first is using the clock if close to cash with other players close to blinding out. assuming not hand per hand all tables.. if the board is paired. it could spell disaster to many hands. why does an ace flop every time I have KK?? as Harrington said." everyone plays an ace"

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's annoying when you don't want to wait but its a legitimate strategy. You should use it your self when the time is right to maximize your EV.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Heck yeah. I burn time and muck. That bubble bursts and it means $ no matter what the stakes. Players with bigger chip stakes will take advantage during these time and grab up chips, play weak hands and bust players. Don't be the one to get busted.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't think stalling is unethical behavior or something. And I really can't get it. Because the only thing you do there is using one of in-game fuctions available for others as well. Everyone at the table has their right to use a timeout whenever they want. Why in the world this should be rude? Well, then tapping the sitout button or call someone else's raise by clicking the mouse are rude too! I can't get it, really. If my 'rude' move can save my tourney life and cost me a few additional bucks then yes I would say I'm rude. But I don't give a duck anyway.
Depending to your question about folding: the answer is in post #3.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to use this strategy, although it is valid, I think it all depends on the situation, your bank, your position, there are many ranges to study, the type of tournament if an expensive bullfight, I usually do not do this type of strategy, I like to be aggressive in the bubble, to steal blinds.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there are few places left before the prizes, the game in the tournament changes dramatically. Opponents with short stacks are starting to play too tight, trying to "live" for the prizes. Against this background, players with high stacks are activated, especially in the fight against opponents who cannot significantly destroy their stack. These conditions must be taken into account and, when evaluating the size of your stack and opponents, you should choose the tactics of the game that will be optimal for you.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold my cards and wait for a prize ...

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Proper etiquette would be to fold. Winning should be about using your poker skills, not waiting the clock out.

D

DavPerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I will run my turn down to the last second. Especially if I've saved my timebank up to that point. It's kind of dick move, but I feel like everyone understands.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea we all done it before so we cant hate. I dont mind too bad as long as they dont do it everytime. Alot of people do it during gameplay and dont realize there seeing less hands. Good luck.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see the time bank as one of the weapons in your arsenal, to use as you see fit. If you're close to the money and have less than a 10BB stack left, then the best strategy is to use time to your advantage. (unless you have a premium hand to go all-in with)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To avoid such a situation or relegation for a couple of players before the money, you should not enter the game without having a pair of aces. Everything else in this situation is better to throw away and calmly wait for the money, when you have a very short stack, of course. You have to go all in on the preflop or be sure of the best possible hand on the table, BUT you can't rule out turn and river when you might be shocked and very disappointed by the situation at the table. Of course, you can say that there is a chance to increase the bank and go higher, of course! But you have to do it earlier, the middle stage of the tournament is perfect for this, but not when you are on the verge of relegation or getting money.

B

Bigslow11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The simple answer about using the clock if you are anywhere near the bubble is yes, use it.
Its not at all rude to use every second , every hand the entire game. Its yours, use it or don't. But at the bubble run it out. Bust the bubble, do your normal. Whatever that may be.

The statement above is spot on, the clock is yours, so use. As for folding at the bubble, you should always play to win the tournament. Taking your chances when the odds favor you will eventually lead to higher finishes.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes when I'm short stacked near the bubble, I most definitely will use all my time bank just before hand for hand. In that way I know that other tables where players also short stacked will be dealt hopefully more than my table.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends lets say i have 7bbs and 10 people need to bust before i reach ITM im bb and i get to see the flop for free, and i hit 2 pair i'm just going for it not letting them get the turn for free either.

now if lets say 3 people need to bust i'm gonna go almost all-in but use my time bank so if i do bust i might still get in the money.

but it can also depend on how much the itm is did i sat into a big tournament etc. lets say i satted into a 109 tournament i'm defintely gonna use my time bank so i get itm.

And its not rude at all each player wants to get itm, you play to win not to lose money, everyone does it at all stakes. so i say go for it at all times :)