ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Let's say you were coaching someone who is new to poker tournaments...
Further, assume you weren't their only teacher, you were one of many.
Suppose you wanted your voice to be heard above all the other coaches and you're given the opportunity to tell this student up to three top tips for large MTT's.

What would be your top tips for them be?

I'll get us started:

1. Get a HUD, if only to track VPIP, PFR and AGG.
2. Play a much tighter range out of position (and probably in position, too!).
3. Play against your opponents' positional range.

I'd be grateful to hear from other CC boffins!
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Get a HUD, if only to track VPIP, PFR and AGG.
2. Play a much tighter range out of position (and probably in position, too!).
3. Play against your opponents' positional range.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

1. Be patient, wait for the right hands, some MTT run very deep stacks.
2. Be aware of when you are near the money (bubble).
3. Play within your bankroll MTT have large variants.

Wizz99

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
1. Be patient, wait for the right hands, some MTT run very deep stacks.
Wizz99

Hi Wizz,

Thanks for the tips. Given that we know each other very well, I get the feeling that top tip number one was directed more at me than the hypothetical student I was setting up for tutelage. Touche!

I gotta say though, I try not to think too much about the bubble. But I guess it depends on whether you're playing to win or to cash.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Free yourself from all thoughts.
2. Enter the stream.
3. Do what you must.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Be adaptable (you're going to be facing a lot of different opponents with a lot of different play styles so you got to be able to figure out how to exploit all of them as tables change)
2. have a short memory (especially in the early stage you are gonna have bad beats but throughout you are going to lose hands with bad reads, missed streets or whatever, but you can't dwell in them for too long because the game keeps moving. If using a HUD just mark the hand for review and move on)
3. Understand ICM (Probably most people are already an expert on this but personally I didn't really understand this/didn't think it was super important when I first started playing MTTs but it actually is and now that I understand it a bit better I'd say its helped my game a bit more)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill will put you in position to have the odds tilted in your favor, but ultimately it's still about luck. Online especially, you need magic.

I've never won anything without sucking out on someone at least once during that tournament. I've had plenty of MTTs where I never once got my chips all in when behind, but I have won exactly 0 tourneys when playing perfectly like that.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They don't normally bluff for lots of chips and almost never on the river so make obvious folds.
They have static folding ranges so bluff small and increase nominally for hand value and play-ability.
3 bet or x/R = I almost always have it to I always have it

Poker Tips