neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Tilt to MTT

How do you deal with tilt in tournaments? I have a PROBLEM, when I am a chip leader or top ten after losing some chips, I go on tilt and want to quickly recoup. Although the stack is working and promising, but often I don’t even get into prizes. How do you deal with tilt?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If losing just a few hands sets you off on tilt, thats clearly bad, and its something, you need to work on. Many people recommend reading Jared Tendler "the mental game of poker". Personally I dont tilt that easy, but if I begin to feel annoyed, my main action against that is to simply end my session. Of course I need to finish the tournaments, that already begin, but I will stop registrering for more events. For example yesterday I played a total of 18 SnGs and only cashed in 2 of them. At that point I decided, that enough is enough, and called it a day.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt to MTT

How do you deal with tilt in tournaments? I have a PROBLEM, when I am a chip leader or top ten after losing some chips, I go on tilt and want to quickly recoup. Although the stack is working and promising, but often I don’t even get into prizes. How do you deal with tilt?
Your instinct to win back is absolutely normal, it's worth keeping in mind that any hand can be the last one, and whoever flew in is the loser.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a PROBLEM, when I am a chip leader or top ten after losing some chips, I go on tilt and want to quickly recoup
There is a saying "a chip and a chair", though there is also a saying "this one bad hand" (created by humble myself). Read about pot control.
How do you deal with tilt?
I think you'll get used to it after some practice.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, neptunas888! By my opinion, when You can to win one time any tournament, You will get more confidence in your forces
for the next tournaments, and tilt will less... Because You won a tournament one time already: this means You may to win and one time yet, and etc...
Cheked out!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
working with psychology is also part of working on oneself and part of the game, I myself have been in such a situation and I understand that at the beginning it’s just an up streak

thebigjhow

thebigjhow

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Complicated. You should pay close attention to your mood. Get into games you've planned to play with your bankroll, so you don't have all the tension. If it's recurring, if you're tilting in life, get help, or you're going to lose a lot.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You can play your game and be stable with your strategy and I think with patient and will the results will be better.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Tilt to MTT

It's a great question and it has more to it that then two lines might let on.
Tilt tendencies is tied up with expectation and disappointment. If you ever want to get both enjoyment and profitability from poker, you need to be able to work on your mental game. When it comes down to it, tilt is the equivalent to a toddler's temper tandtrum. Boohoo, you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it. Life is so unfair, etc.
I'm not trying to belittle you. I was once in your position...more than once!
But once you get a few hundred thousand money hands under your belt, one hand is just one hand -- even if you had a huge stack and your Aces got cracked out by a clown shoving 72o. Getting control of your head is essential. THIS is where your wins come from. Your head tells you what your range is. Your head tells you when your pot odds are in your favour. Your head tells you when someone is trapping you becuas eyou've been paying attention to the game.
When you tilt, you're just focussed on one moment and you forget all thoser that came before and aren't really focussed on those which follow.
So how do you get tilt free?
Here are some ideas:
1. Reduce your excitement when playing. Do something else at the same time. Take notes. Watch the play of the hands you've folded. Watch the table the chip lead is playing on. Or play additional games...but not so many that it raises anxiety/nerves/tension.
2. Meditate. Breathing exercises.
3. Take anger management training/counselling
4. Play LOTS of poker...getting used to the fact that poker is about executing your strategy. The outcome of individual hands is not relevant when you are properly bet sizing (NOT OVERVALUING) and playing a strong range relatively aggressively, making sure not to bluff call stations and rocks. If you are consistently playing strong poker, the wins will exceed the losses, even when these outliers hit us and we lose a pot that *should* have been ours.
5. Play online with friends and have a discord running.
a) This is useful both for playing against them -- e.g. in a home game -- because if you tilt you lose friends...so you're motivated to keep your cool.
b) Also useful when you aren't playing against each other directly, but simply playing poker and watching each others games whilst you play your own. Now, you must not give advice on a hand in progress, but discussing plays after the fact and learning from each other is great for improving your game, but also helps to keep you acting like a child.
6. Get some perspective. Unless the tilt you're talking about cost you more than you can afford, why does it matter? Go spend a few hours a week donating your time to a charity, or join th board of directors for a charity, work in a soup kitchen/food bank, etc. getting some perspective can make unpleasant hands seem more trivial and less serious.
7. get more exercise. poker is a pretty sedentary pastime. Getting fit will help your mind and body.
8. Eat better. Eating healthier makes your mind and body healthier. When you have balanced diet you have fewer spikes in sugar, insulin, adrenaline, cortisone, testosterone, etc. levels in your blood.
9. Find time for another hobby which makes you happy. Finding enjoyment outside of poker has helped my mental state and hence my mental game immensley. My poker buddies have also become my golf buddies. Getting out once or twice a week has improved our fitness, patience, and general levels of wellbeing.
10. Discipline. There should be consequences for losing your temper. If you do this at work, you lose your job. If you do this at home, you lose your spouse and family. if you lose your temper at poker, that should be it for the day. You are simply not allowed to continue. if you do it two days on the trot, you are done for two days.

Finally, I would ask you whether getting control of your tilt really is of interest for you. You see, I hear a lot of people say "I wish...X...". But as with most things, wishing doesn't work. Hard work is what works. There are rarely any magic solutions that make everything perfect. Instead, change tends to be small, incremental and persistent. If you want to learn a new skill...this approach is required. If you want to perfect and existing talent...it takes work. You want to be the best at something? GRIND!

All the best on your poker journey!
Regards,
JT

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Tilt to MTT

PS remember that the stack you have is more important than the chips on the table to be won. They are already yours. You worked hard to get them. Don't be so quick to call a shove. Be more prepared to let hands go when you are big stack. Sure you can widen your range to see more flops, but that shouldn't mean that you make calls with poor odds. You also need to take cvare not to overvalue your hand. Stop shoving and calling shoves with just top pair. You will get anhilated in higher stakes playing fast and loose.

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's a great question and it has more to it that then two lines might let on.
Tilt tendencies is tied up with expectation and disappointment. If you ever want to get both enjoyment and profitability from poker, you need to be able to work on your mental game. When it comes down to it, tilt is the equivalent to a toddler's temper tandtrum. Boohoo, you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it. Life is so unfair, etc.
I'm not trying to belittle you. I was once in your position...more than once!
But once you get a few hundred thousand money hands under your belt, one hand is just one hand -- even if you had a huge stack and your Aces got cracked out by a clown shoving 72o. Getting control of your head is essential. THIS is where your wins come from. Your head tells you what your range is. Your head tells you when your pot odds are in your favour. Your head tells you when someone is trapping you becuas eyou've been paying attention to the game.
When you tilt, you're just focussed on one moment and you forget all thoser that came before and aren't really focussed on those which follow.
Here are some ideas:
1. Reduce your excitement when playing. Do something else at the same time. Take notes. Watch the play of the hands you've folded. Watch the table the chip lead is playing on. Or play additional games...but not so many that it raises anxiety/nerves/tension.
2. Meditate. Breathing exercises.
3. Take anger management training/counselling
4. Play LOTS of poker...getting used to the fact that poker is about executing your strategy. The outcome of individual hands is not relevant when you are properly bet sizing (NOT OVERVALUING) and playing a strong range relatively aggressively, making sure not to bluff call stations and rocks. If you are consistently playing strong poker, the wins will exceed the losses, even when these outliers hit us and we lose a pot that *should* have been ours.
5. Play online with friends and have a discord running.
a) This is useful both for playing against them -- e.g. in a home game -- because if you tilt you lose friends...so you're motivated to keep your cool.
b) Also useful when you aren't playing against each other directly, but simply playing poker and watching each others games whilst you play your own. Now, you must not give advice on a hand in progress, but discussing plays after the fact and learning from each other is great for improving your game, but also helps to keep you acting like a child.
6. Get some perspective. Unless the tilt you're talking about cost you more than you can afford, why does it matter? Go spend a few hours a week donating your time to a charity, or join th board of directors for a charity, work in a soup kitchen/food bank, etc. getting some perspective can make unpleasant hands seem more trivial and less serious.
7. get more exercise. poker is a pretty sedentary pastime. Getting fit will help your mind and body.
8. Eat better. Eating healthier makes your mind and body healthier. When you have balanced diet you have fewer spikes in sugar, insulin, adrenaline, cortisone, testosterone, etc. levels in your blood.
9. Find time for another hobby which makes you happy. Finding enjoyment outside of poker has helped my mental state and hence my mental game immensley. My poker buddies have also become my golf buddies. Getting out once or twice a week has improved our fitness, patience, and general levels of wellbeing.
10. Discipline. There should be consequences for losing your temper. If you do this at work, you lose your job. If you do this at home, you lose your spouse and family. if you lose your temper at poker, that should be it for the day. You are simply not allowed to continue. if you do it two days on the trot, you are done for two days.

Finally, I would ask you whether getting control of your tilt really is of interest for you. You see, I hear a lot of people say "I wish...X...". But as with most things, wishing doesn't work. Hard work is what works. There are rarely any magic solutions that make everything perfect. Instead, change tends to be small, incremental and persistent. If you want to learn a new skill...this approach is required. If you want to perfect and existing talent...it takes work. You want to be the best at something? GRIND!

All the best on your poker journey!
Regards,
JT
wow what a detailed answer, thanks!

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Tilt to MTT

The easiest way is to not play with junk regardless of the size of your stack.
Try it, I'm sure it will help you too :)

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
try to work on your breathing. take a deep breath, fill your whole lungs with air up to your diaphragm and slowly let it out, do this 10 times it will be much better.
go out on the balcony, get some air. think positive.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi, friend!
It's great that you know when you're on tilt. Most players cannot determine this.
I think you should just take a break from poker for a while, do something else. After the break, you will return to the tables with renewed vigor)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt to MTT

For MTTs, just try to keep your focus on the big picture. Understand what you need to do to get ITM, and keep a constant idea of what your perceived ITM% looks like. You can be a huge chip leader, lose a huge pot, and still have an 80%+ chance of cashing. This is important to understand so you don't feel like you need to win back lost chips. Just keep your mind set on the goal (accumulating chips while not decreasing your ITM%) and tilt will vanish! :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt to MTT

Also, books on meditation/Zen/philosophy have significantly helped me.

Tilt is just another emotion that can arise from playing poker. If you learn to simply identify it, then you can become aware of it while it is visiting you. This will give you power over the emotion, so you can transform it. :)

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But once you get a few hundred thousand money hands under your belt, one hand is just one hand -- even if you had a huge stack and your Aces got cracked out by a clown shoving 72o.
Oh, you are stupid. Move on, nothing to see here.

Here are some ideas:
Good piece of advice. Signing up.

You are full of contradictions.(y)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be easier to deal with bad beats when you start to accept that bad beats will happen all the time. Just forget and move on to the next hand like nothing happened. Of course I know this is easier said than done.

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
If one tournament tilts me I just focus on the other 14 so I dont time-out.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use to be that way, it's the feeling of being secure or most secure in the tournament but this is a false narative that some beginners have, in the long run this mindset is not going to help you at all in fact the opposite, dont compare just play your game and the more chips you have the more passive agressive you should play, be extremely patient and agressive when you have it and not underplay your big hands or overplay your weak hands, and just forget about chasing some chips you lost, in the end most of the time the chip leaders in early stages wont make it to final coz they probably doubles up by luck. I hope this helps though and im not a pro lol

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you decide to grind mtts you'll have to work on your poker mental game and like I've seen in the replies- The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler is a good way to start(2 books actually and both are great)... About having a big stack, suffering a bad beat and affecting your game dramatically, my advice is to keep in mind that poker is a gambling game and luck will always be a factor in it... just make sure you understand that with your decisions on each street you can maximize your chances of winning and/or minimize your losses...

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Tilt to MTT

Try reading the book - The mental game of poker. It will help

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
u can´t control the outcome of cards why bother tilting????

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
  • In addition to the financial component, the game should also bring positive emotions, and once you start to tilt, the right decision is to stop opening new tables

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Take a break or don't play when on tilt. This involves recognising straight away so be concious about it.

Practice mindfulness. This means being present in the moment and focusing on your breath, rather than getting caught up in your emotions.

t's a good idea to set limits for yourself before you start playing poker. This can include things like how much money you're willing to lose, how long you're willing to play, and what stakes you're comfortable playing at. By setting these limits in advance, you can help prevent yourself from getting too caught up in the game and losing control.

Focus on the long term. It's important to remember that poker is a long-term game. One bad session or one bad beat doesn't mean you're a bad player.

Other FullTilt Reviews: English | Deutsch | Nederlands | Español | Português | Full Tilt Casino - Full Tilt Mobile