Is there any argument for folding AA preflop on the first hand of a MTT?

Delafere

Delafere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
In my humble opinion, you should not discard AA, especially when you are playing at small limits and players can throw any 2 cards. I won't throw out AA, even if all players go to the pot from the first hand. If you are afraid to play in the strongest hands, then why join the game, where much depends on luck.

bermejoga

bermejoga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The answer is: you never know!
Here's why: https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousCloudyLionPeoplesChamp-83TgHj1Nsga2zqr-

The action happened when there were 49 players left alive in the tournament (Super MILLION$ High Roller Buy-in $10,300). The Russian Nikita Kuznetsov raised to 2 BBs and saw Canadian Matthew Stumpf go all-in from 4.4 bbs. In the small blind, Jonathan had AA and was preparing a 3-bet when he forgot to call his time bank, and his cards ended up in the muck. With the big blind folding, the Russian made the call showing 33 against the opponent's JJ.
The flop came Q43 with two cards of clubs, giving Nikita trips and leaving Matthew in a tough spot, something he might have expected with the American had it not been for his mistake. Less desperate to have escaped, Jon saw a 9 on the turn and a K on the river complete the board, keeping himself with a healthy stack for the rest of the competition. (Source: https://superpoker.com.br/noticias/...d-aa-depois-comemora-20230212-SPK-208484.html)

Last edited:
dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Going all-in with AA early in the tournament isn't a question, but if you're on the bubble, it's worth considering.
In a long tournament, after several hours of play, right before the ITM, one has to consider whether to proudly go all-in with AA and even lose against a lesser hand, or play it safe and fold in hopes of the sure money.
Of course, it depends on the individual, there are those who don't care about the minimum winnings even after several hours of playing, because "I have AA, I go all-in, it will be what it will be."
Personally, I would go for the safe money and not risk it. Of course, only if I can almost certainly pull it out till ITM with my chips.
But in early stages, playing with AA is not a question: going all-in if somebody called all-in before.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The answer is: you never know!
Here's why: https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousCloudyLionPeoplesChamp-83TgHj1Nsga2zqr-

The action happened when there were 49 players left alive in the tournament (Super MILLION$ High Roller Buy-in $10,300). The Russian Nikita Kuznetsov raised to 2 BBs and saw Canadian Matthew Stumpf go all-in from 4.4 bbs. In the small blind, Jonathan had AA and was preparing a 3-bet when he forgot to call his time bank, and his cards ended up in the muck. With the big blind folding, the Russian made the call showing 33 against the opponent's JJ.
The flop came Q43 with two cards of clubs, giving Nikita trips and leaving Matthew in a tough spot, something he might have expected with the American had it not been for his mistake. Less desperate to have escaped, Jon saw a 9 on the turn and a K on the river complete the board, keeping himself with a healthy stack for the rest of the competition. (Source: https://superpoker.com.br/noticias/...d-aa-depois-comemora-20230212-SPK-208484.html)

This is not a reason for folding AA (because what could've happened.. or might happen).

The answer remains... 'No'

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when it's worth a lot of money and on a heavily loaded board for a straight.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
As you have seen in different tournaments, there is no hand that preflop can guarantee your victory, not passing an AA will depend on your number, the number of players left and also the positions that are awarded. If the tournament has just started and you have AA, it's hard to say no, but if many are going all-in, it would only be missing one hand.

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've had aces cracked multiple times in the first couple of hands of a MTT by lunatics that shove with pretty much any two cards. I wonder if there's some sort of ICM argument for folding. The best odds of a single hand cracking your aces is a little less than 25% preflop, but if multiple shoves happen, the odds of one of the shovers cracking your aces goes up. If it were a cash game there's no question because the pot size increases proportionately (or greater than... not sure of the math) to the chances of getting cracked does, so your equity is always good. I think that if it is a deep stack tourney that's not turbo/hyper the case is a little stronger.

Thoughts? Honestly, I don't think I'd fold AA preflop ever (even on the bubble), but it's something I've thought about from time to time, and wonder if anyone has any interesting thoughts.
I think it's a nice thought, but realistically you're never going to fold Aces pre-flop!! ;)

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
if theres a super high prize fund then i may hesitate, otherwise all in

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello
I never fold AA pre-flop, why should I? everything that calls me is worse and involves a much greater risk! that's where gambling begins for me and strategy ends! when it comes to the bubble or icm in a big tournament, it's something completely different and has to be evaluated depending on the situation, at least that's what I think!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker