Are suited connectors overrated?

masterminsk

masterminsk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have 100bb+ i usually raise suited connectors and call 3bets to crush aces or kings. But having 30bb usually fold connectors

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Wonderful starting hand for me , when I am deep I like to open raise or to 3bet light with that combination.

Apparently, many times you will not hit hard but in order to mix up your game you have to make such moves, And mid suited connectors are great for that purpose , 78s, 89s , 9Ts are my personal favorite!

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play mid suited connectors when the flop is cheap and a a lot of players limp in. I dont know if its the bes strategy but the chance of winning with a pair is rather small so you need your flush or straight.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a fan of the connectors but I like to play them in the final stages or out of position so we can hit a good flop.

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a stack, I love a suited 46.

V

Verfox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It rarely gets me something but when it does, the build is substantial

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better in cash games it seems like, playing in tournaments ill stick to my normal premium hands, loosen up if im in a chip lead situation

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah they are overrated, per plenty of examples on this thread.
They are indeed though playable in situations but not in hopes of hitting them good or hitting them great when my opponent may not see it coming.

They are good when your opponent(s) don't figure out it is coming. You pre-flop raise for instance and hit the straight or flush on the flop. If you miss you still have to try to represent a hand as well. Fit or fold the flop with connectors is a good idea but not the best idea in every hope to hit em situation

J

jaso_orni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
}hoping to get the best hand to go and play sometimes is not the best practice, some hands are just a hunch

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me ask you this:

What is the equity of:
1. :8c4::7c4: v/s :3d4::3h4:?
2. :as4::ac4: v/s :8d4::7d4:?
3. :as4::ac4: v/s :3d4::3h4:?

So while constructing your range which hands should you prefer to add first?

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
You got to play them but in good spots. They can crack big hands but they can be problems if you catch a small piece and can't let go.

You got to raise and 3bet them sometimes, flatting with them in ep I don't recommend you most likely will miss flop or get raised off them when someone behind you brings heat.

Playing them in heads up pot in position is optimal. I tend to isolate loose players with them in position. Cbet or double barrel usually gets it done sometimes even if you wiff the flop completely.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like suited cards because they can collect flash and more variations at the table

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm valuing and earning a lot from them.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great advice here, thanks everyone. I think I'm occasionally going to treat them like a big hand (to balance out my range) and raise with them when well stacked and try and bluff when I miss depending on the situation. If I don't have a big stack I think I have to still let them go in most situations, otherwise I'm not going to make enough if I hit and I'm going to waste too many chips calling to see a flop that's probably not going to help me. I'll see how that goes.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
equity is a good point but you loose equity the further away you are from the button. 7-8 suited at CO compared to 7-8 suited UTG. Money flows from left to right, that is the nature of the beast. Even aces loses equity the further it gets away from the button. Some negative equity hands actually get positive at CO and the button. So my range also is based apon the power of position. If I have any suited connectors and I am UTG, how is that position going to handle raises compared to the Button?

What happens when everyone folds to me and I have 2-3 suited on the button?
What are my chances to bluff UTG compared to the Button while holding 9-10 suited? Are my pocket 22's viable for a limp or raise in CO when everything folds to me.

So repeatable and excuse me for saying again that money flows from left to right. My range is dependable on my position as well as equity

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are good to play in position.

K

Kingcooper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with that completely. Everybody is almost at a disadvantage because they're all waiting for and playing the same hands but how often does the flop come A,A,K when you think you've got the nuts? Its crazy how easy you can get caught off guard with high cards!

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only good players can play them well but can be dangerous if they connect

Q

Quads2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors are very rare, but when I get them I play them unless somebody goes all in.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them.
ofc I don't call a big raise with them.

P

PepeTurtle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often find the same kind of struggle mid-late stage. The struggle is that there's a huge difference of open folding when you have close to 30 big blinds and when you have 40 to 45 bigs.

So I kind tend to adopt a rule of my own that is more or less like that:

If the post flop playing can affect my stack, in case I end up folding/loosing at showdown, letting me too close of the push/fold zone, so I elect to not play them.

But I keep studying, there's a lot of 'singular' spots that may happen and may escape from general rules.

Like other day I had 29 bigs mid stage pre-bubble, I got a 75s in the LowJ and I had some interesting insight because of my tight image and because of the other stack sizes after me. The process of thinking was: there's is just 1 player in the cutoff with more than 50 bb''s that is not getting out of the line. The others will jam their 20ish bbs with any super hand or fold exception made for the BigBling player that could defend a minraise with a big range. So, DESPITE of what result I could have, it looked to me as a good spot to steal the dead money without risking much or if you prefer risking on a less risky spot and in case I got called well... I had two cards.

But the result was: everybody folded and BigBlind flatted, I flopped monster, a str8 on the flop + the flush draw, villain called 2 value bets and folded the river little value. This pot made my stack to almost 38 big blinds!

Spots like that are not 'in the charts' and are based on table observation and prediction of the players actions, something that I would ever seen if I had two tables or more.

Best regards and keep studying the struggles! They make you better!

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any gas can be over rated but they certainly can kick your butt on the river sometimes lol man it’s been a hard day of that for me

F

fernandoprrt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors are good, but it depends of position, stacks and actions before the hand and during the hand.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on position and opponent hand ranges, really. I like them in mp to lp especially if the pot hasn't been raised. If I'm short stacked and I see a 10 j suited in an un opened pot, I'm shoving every time

MadMurkin

MadMurkin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without all the multitude of varying factors in relation to the hand you are playing with suited connectors, the question is very wide.
But in general, I would say yes.