Starting strategy

A

alexandro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You start slow all in only with AA and is still risky.... i prefer sometimes to see the flop.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today I had AA towards the beginning of a tournament. Instead of my usual all-in, I bet 5x the big blind. The other person had one K and the flop had 2 kings. it's strange but I thought I was beat so i just called every bet. I was able to stay in the tournament because I did not go all in.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to find a premium hand I can double up with, then ive got room to start playing poker

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why even pose the question? Go all in if you want. It's an I could care less move. I do it if I don't care if I play or not, never where there is real money to be made.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the beginning I play almost all middle hands, and then only caution

A

alexandro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nooooooo all in if you have AA one on 1 -----72 if you against 5 people.... good luck....

Z

zVitaliKz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm waiting for my hand and do not open the rubbish

S

sierra reed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
not with all in, that's for sure. I tend to watch players for a few rounds to see how they play, if they fold a lot or bet a lot or bluff a lot. then i take it from there. I only ever go all in if i get a straight on the flop

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Never all in at the beggining of a tournament , except if sb is already all in and I have AA KK . Play normally by the rules of most tournaments and wish yourself good luck :)
But if we're talking about the splash kind of tournaments , the 1-2-5FPP/starcoins at Stars or the 1 or 0.10 cent step tours at 888poker , then the answer is different , more hands to go all in at the beginning at more cases :)

V

veruska A1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that starting a tournament my only advice is:
*Do not rush:

Try not to look at the total number of players in the tournament, and focus only on what happens at your table. It's the only place you can influence. You can not do anything to change the course of events at the other tables. In a tournament with hundreds or thousands of players, you will be playing poker for a long time before reaching the prizes.
It is vital to remember that you can not win the tournament in these early stages. Resist the temptation to look at how many chips the chip leader has in the early stages: it's irrelevant. The only thing you should concentrate on is your number of chips compared to the blind. If you are in a comfortable position (for example, over 25 large blinds), there is no need to worry even if you have the short stack on your table. Just continue to unfold your game. If you make correct decisions consistently, the chips will eventually come to you. Only in the last stages of the tournament, when you get to the bubble or the last two tables, it may be important for your strategy to know how many chips your opponents have.

SeregaBear

SeregaBear

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing freerolls mostly, I'm playing TT + up to 12 bb. After that I'm increasing my range.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think that starting a tournament my only advice is:
*Do not rush:

Try not to look at the total number of players in the tournament, and focus only on what happens at your table. It's the only place you can influence. You can not do anything to change the course of events at the other tables. In a tournament with hundreds or thousands of players, you will be playing poker for a long time before reaching the prizes.
It is vital to remember that you can not win the tournament in these early stages. Resist the temptation to look at how many chips the chip leader has in the early stages: it's irrelevant. The only thing you should concentrate on is your number of chips compared to the blind. If you are in a comfortable position (for example, over 25 large blinds), there is no need to worry even if you have the short stack on your table. Just continue to unfold your game. If you make correct decisions consistently, the chips will eventually come to you. Only in the last stages of the tournament, when you get to the bubble or the last two tables, it may be important for your strategy to know how many chips your opponents have.

What a nice comment , many inexperience players overlook that factor and try to stack up early on.They play every hand in the early stages like it is the last one.

I would like also to add that a tournament is not a 100m sprint it is a mini marathon. Don't worry what your opponents do you have to go with your own pace in the middle stages and just try to fully exploit the spots which can make you run deeper!! :)

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i never go all-in unless i have like the top three hands. I do however, like to start tournaments playing as many hands as possible. Typically the binds aren't too bad and I feel like its worth it to play something like 7 10 suited and just fold if I don't hit on the flop. Might not be the best strategy, but if I'm playing many tournaments online, I'd rather start with a big stack by winning with a hand people wouldn't expect and then it's easier to play with more chips. I really don't like waiting for hands early.

orsino12

orsino12

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with most things in poker "it depends".
At the beginning I like to see as many flops as possible with "interesting" hands while the blinds are still low, a single good flop can lead to a double or triple up early.
I'm not afraid to do the ridiculous shove with KK or AA with little or no action in front of me when it's early and the bingo players are still in it and am constantly amazed how often people will call, and what they will call you with.
I played a $0.50 tourney on 888 last night and about 4 hands in with the blinds just 10/20 I got KK with 2 limpers in front of me and I decided to just push it in. It folded around and one of the limpers called with KQ. An easy double up and I ended up going deep and falling just short of the final table.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regularly never match an all in early stages of the tournament, always go with a decisive game, play with determination

L

Lilbrown92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never start tournaments with all-in. It's too much risk for very little gain.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always all in, since I play free rolls. Double the stack or bust, and wait for the next free roll to start. If I payed an entrance fee, well, that's another story...

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait for a decent hand in position and go from there.

G

Griiffon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5-10 begining minutes

I have newer play AA, AK, KK as all in in the begining of the tournament. Espesially if it is freeroll i really don't know how to play for 5-10 begining minutes. It is hard to control and i prefer not to play all the cards befor the first brake.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am starting with all in.

How do you start the tournament?

I take my time and adjust my style to suite the levels I'm at, observe the patterns of my opponents to get a read on them and try to play from there. Play tighter in the beginning and loosen up as i go deeper. As I come closer the money and final table I tighten up again

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't see the point , waste of money !!!!