Stalling, could something be done about it?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am sorry, I stall every hand I play. Every hand I wait till 1 second with the exception of the bubble and the final table.

It is my way to coup with being on tilt.

It is my way to limit the amount of info given base on my bet speed.

It can help me get a pay jump if I am near one.

It makes sure I take my time and think each step before taking an action.

And honestly, if it irritates another player, that is their problem. They can play how they wish to, and I will play how I wish, within the given rule set.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am sorry, I stall every hand I play. Every hand I wait till 1 second with the exception of the bubble and the final table.

It is my way to coup with being on tilt.

It is my way to limit the amount of info given base on my bet speed.

It can help me get a pay jump if I am near one.

It makes sure I take my time and think each step before taking an action.

And honestly, if it irritates another player, that is their problem. They can play how they wish to, and I will play how I wish, within the given rule set.

Big like!

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play faster than anyone I know. That being said I am glad fellow players dont cry because I play fast!

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play faster than anyone I play against. That being said I would hate to have fellow players cry because I play fast!!!!

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it isn't stalling, it is a slow internet connection, like satellite internet on a cloudy or stormy day. I will stall occasionally but not all the time.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play faster than anyone I know. That being said I am glad fellow players dont cry because I play fast!

You nailed it, my friend. Excellent observation. In all the poker hands I have ever played, not once I witnessed a staler asking another player at his table to play any slower. It's always the other way around.

Your thinking not only constitutes a display of logic and common sense, it also protects you from the worst potential effect of stalling: getting rattled by it.

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about people clocking on heads-up SnGs instead?
Isn´t that awful?

Playing a turbo tournament will make it feel like an hyper turbo instead.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about people clocking on heads-up SnGs instead?
Isn´t that awful?

Playing a turbo tournament will make it feel like an hyper turbo instead.

It's only awful if you feel that way. The only reason your opponent does it is to annoy you so you make more mistakes.
And clocking will not make a turbo tournament feel like a hyper turbo, it's the other way around.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every online game has a timer and everyone has a right to use it as they see fit. I understand when people use it close to a bubble or money jump. Drives me nuts when I come across people that seem to do it every hand across an entire tourney. Still, I think site have found a good balance of acceptable time to think and being able to keep the game moving from people stalling on purpose.

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will always be stalling before the payday. That is why they go hand to hand at the end. Guess they could cut response time as they approach the payout

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see opinions are really polarised...some really hate it....why??? you in a hurry?? going somewhere? train to catch??? Relax my friends, take it easy. Getting all worked up and irritated will just play right into the stallers hands...YOU WILL tilt and make mistakes. Rather, while they are stalling, slip off to the kitchen and put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea. Remember the 3 C's.....Cool, Calm, and Collected. Give yourself a better chance of winning !!!!

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If they want faster gameplay especially online just make it a shorter clock so each players move on every table is lesser speeding it up overall

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to wonder, why do you want to play faster? Some people say so I can see more hands and have a bigger advantage.

Then why would someone want to give you a bigger advantage?

And you might reply, so they can see more hand so they can have a bigger advantage!

But in a zero sum game, there can not be a net advantage to everyone. If that was true then there would be no advantages. So by default if someone is getting an advantage someone is at a disadvantage.

So for the same reason you want to play faster, someone would want to play slower.

L

lusquinha2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite complicated stalling i know, but it happens, sometimes the best way is folding

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it really is like stopping and using your time bank in different situations, but it is part of each one's strategy.
the best way to get out of the situation is to keep your head in place

P

Pestice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys i neeed win poker i need to pay

S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A player running down the clock every hand can be annoying to other players, no doubt about that. But in the later stages of a tournament, stalling can be beneficial to a certain extent to a player trying to preserve his stack, for the simple reason that stalling will slow down his particular table in comparison to the others, and he will post less blinds than average.

Asking such player to not stall would be equivalent to asking him to act against his best interest in order not to irritate his adversaries, which is a little nonsensical, because at the end of the day, a poker tournament is a competition, and irritating one's adversaries could be a good strategy in itself.

In my opinion, a way to address stalling would be to simply make the hand by hand play universal, instead of using it only on the bubble. That would remove any incentive for stalling, so people taking more time would be actually thinking about the hand or simply not paying attention. The game overall would not be faster, probably the exact opposite would happen since now all tables would play at the pace of the slowest table.

Please let me know your thoughts about universal hand by hand play. Would you rather play a potentially slower game in exchange for de-weaponizing stalling, or not?

OH dear god, making every tourney a hand for hand play would be an absolute nightmare. Mtts would last for centuries. If the main event were that way, we would still be playing tourneys from the 90s

M

markmu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know where the big problem is here, because everyone has the same conditions. In online poker the clock is running out and everyone is free to use their time as they wish. In real life someone calls the clock after a certain amount of time and then the player has to make a decision. There is a set of rules for every game and in this set of rules every player should be free to make their own decisions.

tagog

tagog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
each player is given time and if he comes to the top places he has the right to use whatever he wants, although this is unpleasant

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's only awful if you feel that way. The only reason your opponent does it is to annoy you so you make more mistakes.
And clocking will not make a turbo tournament feel like a hyper turbo, it's the other way around.
Maybe I did not express correctly using "feel", but if for any blind level you play half the hands you normally would, then the sitn go turns from turbo to hyper, or from normal to turbo from the perspective of the game.

So higher variance basically.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It makes me mad, but such are rules. every1 is give time to act as he wishes and use given time. I believe some players use it to make u mad and get advantage of u.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see some players near the bubble do this, some do it all the time.
It is part of the rules, so ... good idea to not stress about it. Some players will use all of their time, all of the time. I like to take my time, and keep it consistent. I won't take too much time to make people so upset they try to put me out just because.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One other point, if a player is going all in every hand. I will slow the action down A LOT. This will either cause him to stop doing that, or she will sit out.
I have had tourneys where all of us at the table took all of our time because of an all in player. That is when to turn off chat, lol

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time I intentionally stall game is when some douche nozzle puts up zzzzz
As I consider that crap disrespectful and then I only do it when I'm heads up with said douche nozzle

You can use the time as you wish if you want to make money as stated. It does not break any rules so we just have to grin and bear it ..

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A player running down the clock every hand can be annoying to other players, no doubt about that. But in the later stages of a tournament, stalling can be beneficial to a certain extent to a player trying to preserve his stack, for the simple reason that stalling will slow down his particular table in comparison to the others, and he will post less blinds than average.

Asking such player to not stall would be equivalent to asking him to act against his best interest in order not to irritate his adversaries, which is a little nonsensical, because at the end of the day, a poker tournament is a competition, and irritating one's adversaries could be a good strategy in itself.

In my opinion, a way to address stalling would be to simply make the hand by hand play universal, instead of using it only on the bubble. That would remove any incentive for stalling, so people taking more time would be actually thinking about the hand or simply not paying attention. The game overall would not be faster, probably the exact opposite would happen since now all tables would play at the pace of the slowest table.

Please let me know your thoughts about universal hand by hand play. Would you rather play a potentially slower game in exchange for de-weaponizing stalling, or not?

I could not disagree more with you . . . Stalling is a twinge under cheating in my book. If you need to use gimmicks to win perhaps you are not skillful enough to playing in the tournament.