Stalling

Z

Zync

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is permitted so yes, it is ok. Like others said, I also do it when short stacked. Any permitted strategy that can be used that can help you getting in the money, I don't see why it should not be ok to use.

FLyby

FLyby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as people stick to the rules and abilities allowed there is no reason to not do it.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stalling or sitting out is interesting in the Rush Tournaments. The rules state that the blinds are paid by the person at the table who has gone the longest without paying a blind. If you sit out, you would likely pay blinds more than once every nine hands. Just the same, if you fold quickly, in theory, you should be able to see more than nine hands per blind.

I'm curious if anyone has done the math on this...

I read several accounts of guys using the QFold button to increase their M slightly.

Perhaps more importantly you play more hands per hour. So if you can play 200 hands in an hour by being supertight and a loose player manages 100. You should be getting KK and AA twice as often as him in the same amount of time.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys "stall" in Rush tournaments (i.e. only fold when the action comes round to you) when the antes kick in?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
The clock is there for you to use, you can do whatever you want with it, and if you don't stall when you are short stacked you are only robing yourself of the opportunity to cash in the tourney, even if it is only the buy in that you get back.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes, having shortstacks to my left, and I see blinds are going to increase soon, I stall, just to make sure they will have to pay the higher blinds.
Sometimes that makes the difference between forcing them to shove/call ATC ,instead of being able to wait for another orbit, thus getting a few more chances to get a real hand.

Further, in MTT on the bubble, with a very agressive high stacked bubbleplayer, bullying the table and picking up almost every blind and me not being able to do something about it, I stall to make sure we play less hands so he will get less opportunities to pick up blinds.
Meanwhile hoping the bubble will burst soon at another table.

If I'm the one being able to pick up a lot of blinds, because of the others being afraid to play, obv I play as fast as I can, sometimes even folding to a shortstack (of which I know I'm far ahead in the hand) just to get the bubbleplay last longer.

Being shortstacked at the bubble myself it depends.
If I don't see opportunities to win some scared money I stall.
Unless I see I have almost no chance of making it, even by stalling.
In that case I play it agressive (shove ATC and pray).

Also, often there are players who are afraid to play any pot at all, even against a shortstack, and in that case I will try to pick up some blinds.

In short however, you have a timebank, so use it if the situation requires so.

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In STT SnG's, I've used it when I have a decent or large stack. Usually it's because I want the blinds to go up to put more pressure on the short stack.

D

Dick Tuck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not only a short stack strategy. Big stacks will stall as well, to increase the blind/ante size on short stacks.

bryan24

bryan24

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stalling (clock management) is perfectly OK. I use it when needed. Everyone else is too so if you are not then you are falling behind....

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally i THINK ITS FINE. i HAVE MADE THE MONEY IN TOURNYS BY DOING IT BEFORE.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate it when the games on FTP are playing hand for hand, peeps still stall, at that point it's only costing you more in blinds, ante's.

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a play that has it's place, but time can be your enemy in some of these satellite tournaments where the blinds get huge and almost everyone is at risk. I can't say how many times in the Ferguson sat that I've seen a UTG or UTG +1 player stall just long enough to allow the blinds go up right before they post, putting him/her all in.

If they had just folded quickly as the blinds approached, they could have let the lower level blinds roll through and stalled on the other side, with a few chips left to limp across the finish line.