Special late registration to get into ITM. Does this strategy often work for you?

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
last minute satellite registrations

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This post should be a part of the resources section. I first read it in 2018:

(this is me responding in a thread about Sniping.):

When I read this thread:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/

I noticed that one poster (@eanishimimi) was responding that he had been banned from ACR for having a >80% cash rate in MTT’s. His post explains his “Sniping” Strategy. I have reproduced the merged, edited (grammar/spelling) version here:

I’m one of the players recently banned from WPN for having 80%+ ITM in MTTs
I did not cheat nor do anything illegal. I just late reg for MTTs where I think I have 80% chance ITM.

For example a $11 MTT is in late reg with 1 minute left

280 entries/ 55 players left/ 45 players paid

If 10+ players join last minute, we will have

291+ entries/~65 players left/ 63 players paid

In this simple example it's more than 99% chance of ITM, but in reality numbers are different and you don’t know exactly the final numbers thus the estimate of 80% ITM chance is still reasonable.

* you can get a 100% ITM if you are the 291st registered and only 63 players left/ 63 players paid

* you can get ~ 75% chance when you are 60 players left /45 players paid; i.e not enough players late join to jump to 63 paid

* sometimes during weekend more than expected players late reg and you have 90 left / 63 paid (<75% theoretical chance of ITM)

So the 80% figure is an approximate combination of the above scenarios.

80% ITM is not really a big deal when most of these ITMs are mincash. You need mincash to be higher than 1.2x the buy-in + MTT fee to be profitable.

Using the previous example, if mincash is $14, you are barely breakeven ($14X80%-$11 = $0.20). So your profit will eventually come from those times when you get lucky and do more than mincash.

I hope this helps put some perspective on the subject.

The original posts:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/post-4156773.html

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/cheating-acr-suspected-363167/post-4157263.html

I was intrigued by this method and attempted to employ it in the recent ACR MOSS Series. It was difficult to find suitable situations (as described above), and the ACR registration clock turns over to “less than 1 minute remaining” when in fact there were about 5 seconds remaining. So I attempted to register for about three or four tourneys, but only succeeded in getting into one - a PLO 9 Max which I cashed. I think getting dealt AA 99 double suited in my seventh hand may have had something to do with that! So I can honestly say that this technique is “Can’t Miss” because my success rate is 100%! :cool:

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you manage to specifically use late registration in tournaments to get into ITM ("in the money") more often and move on?
If this is such a strategy, then it is quite strange :)
I do not think that late registration can be the element that will significantly improve the player's results. I think skill and patience will always be more important :)

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I often do this. It's not very comfortable for me to sit and wait until late registration ends, at least I have a higher chance of getting into ITM than when I'm playing at the beginning of the tournament.