Slow playing your premium pairs

M

maykmar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
uff need to know several things about your table first, I was wrong with me always slow playing but not increase my bet, included in letters hand low or disposable and almost always bound me something, then came to know well the table where game and raise the bet to remove hands that can link something and just leave you want to risk

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m pretty unbalanced in this area as I almost always play premiums aggressively. There are just so many people willing to call wife why not get the most value you can. Plus passive is the best way to get a premium pair cracked allowing free/cheap streets to your opponents.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In general you don't slow play your monsters. The only situation I slow play my monster hands is if I am in late position , a player before me went all in and I have an aggressive player after me. So the player after me wants to isolate the all in opponent but essentially I already have set him a trap!

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only slow play when I have unbeatable nuts, or at least 95% equity.

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what many people write in this thread. Ask yourself, how many weak hands will pay you for the slow play of your AA, KK?You will not get a big profit, therefore early aggression and evaluation of reaction on the flop and the following streets is the most profitable game.

Last edited:
J

jfitzg414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hardly ever slow play monsters online. But I seldom push all in online though unless I got a read on a trailing player. Online it seems to get cracked too often so I want to make the players pay say 3/4 of pot. The one exception to pushing a monster is if I am short stacked and want to force 1-2 plyrs to pay for the right to get cards. Granted this could push them out but better to have some than cracked nothing. At the table I seem to get a better read so I may slow play but with say 1/4 of the pot. In a freeroll then you have way too many callers so I tend to be very aggressive there.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now slow play is no an option ... many callers with trashes hands .... I prefer bet with some agressive move ...maybe 4 or 5 BB as a minimun. Good luck with you high pairs.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing is always risky especially if you're just holding a pair. It's best to price the potential drawing hands out early, before they hit. I've never understood the players who limp in with AA and then whine that their aces are always getting cracked, well, you went up against 5 other players, the odds are no longer with you.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Big Pairs

I feel like it is becoming more and more common for players to slow play their AA and KK from what I've seen from some streamers and other places online, especially with a short stack, and wait for somebody to bet/push into you.

You got to mix up your play sometimes and slow play to avoid predictability I think, but I wouldn't want to do it too often to let those god damn draw chasers burn your aces.

I try to remember that more often than not your AA/KK will win you a smaller pot, and loose a monster pot if you get too attached and can't lay it down when you know you should. Play them hard and fast, but also play some smaller cards (suited connectors) the same way if you think you can burn a nit, avoid predictability, and slow down when you have deck the crippled.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you guys play your AA KK QQ? ? I slow played my KK from the small blind today and the BB flopped a straight. I slow played a QQ 2 days ago from the button and some1 flopped a flush. The only reason I doneed this is because every1 else folded and I wanted to get some action on it but it obviously back fired. If I'm late to act and there are already a few ppl in the pot then I will always raise them up but even if every1 folds gaining some chips is better than loosing some. What do u think and how do you play your big pairs from late position wen every 1 has folded.

I have learned to always play aggressively with those hands.

I still get bad beats even though I play aggressively.

Most importantly its better to win a little than to lose a lot.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like it is becoming more and more common for players to slow play their AA and KK from what I've seen from some streamers and other places online, especially with a short stack, and wait for somebody to bet/push into you.
When you're the short stack, there is never a need to slow-play AA/KK.

Most of the players will be putting you on a wide range because you're the SS.

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you got the goods pre-flop, you would hate to go all-in and not get a caller, so you'd want to do whatever you need to do to get action for your double up. If you have shown some tendency to limp with aggressive players at the table there's a good chance for them to go over the top, or some dumb ass could even look at a 1/4-1/3 stack raise, and not expect the trap, especially if your have the image of a nit at your table.

But you are right, more often than not if you are the short stack, shoving is a good play, especially if the dead money on the table is a significant percentage of your stack.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If players are coming, raise so less hands are in, better odds that way

B

boonvech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guys play your AA KK QQ? ? I slow played my KK from the small blind today and the BB flopped a straight. I slow played a QQ 2 days ago from the button and some1 flopped a flush. The only reason I doneed this is because every1 else folded and I wanted to get some action on it but it obviously back fired. If I'm late to act and there are already a few ppl in the pot then I will always raise them up but even if every1 folds gaining some chips is better than loosing some. What do u think and how do you play your big pairs from late position wen every 1 has folded.
i ever always slow play with very premium hands because i want much more money but several times i lost big amount at the end of games.