Sitting Out on Freeroll Tournaments

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it me or is it annoying to play a tournament and have 3 or 4 "sitters" at the table. It seems that it is happening more often with more players. If you are at a table with sitters, it gives a positional advantage to who is sitting to the right to claim the blinds and disrupts the flow and strategy of the game. It would be nice if you had to "take your seat" at the start of a game and not be sitting there posting antes and blinds as free chips for the person to your right. I Say I Say I Say please do away with sitters going to the table at the start of a tournament.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to steal the sitters blinds myself even with garbage hands. Poker is a game of adjustments, adjust and exploit.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not much that can be done about this though. When people have paid to enter a tournament, they are allowed to play in whichever way, they want, including sitting out for shorter or longer periods of time. And its hardly reasonable to expect poker sites to make special rules for freerolls, when freerolls are literally not, where they make their money ;)

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I only find it embarrassing when I overlooked the fact that the one after me is a sit outer and that I folded to him. Sometimes I'm a bit distracted and then something like that happens and I'm deeply ashamed when I notice it, but otherwise I have no problem getting chips for free.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t find it annoying at all, in fact I prefer having 3 or 4 sitters at my table. The fewer players the greater my advantage when playing less than premium hands that kind of whiff.

Last edited:
Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is it me or is it annoying to play a tournament and have 3 or 4 "sitters" at the table. It seems that it is happening more often with more players. If you are at a table with sitters, it gives a positional advantage to who is sitting to the right to claim the blinds and disrupts the flow and strategy of the game. It would be nice if you had to "take your seat" at the start of a game and not be sitting there posting antes and blinds as free chips for the person to your right. I Say I Say I Say please do away with sitters going to the table at the start of a tournament.
I see a lot of players sitting out in Cardschat freeroll tournaments on GGpoker, I think registrations for these tournaments start very early.
A few days ago I was playing the tournament and I was the only one present at the table, the other players were all sitting out.
Of course I'm not complaining about this, but I prefer with all the players present the game becomes more interesting.;)(y)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see a lot of players sitting out in Cardschat freeroll tournaments on GGpoker, I think registrations for these tournaments start very early.
A few days ago I was playing the tournament and I was the only one present at the table, the other players were all sitting out.
Of course I'm not complaining about this, but I prefer with all the players present the game becomes more interesting.;)(y)
I know, it does get boring quickly when you’re all alone at the table.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In the spirit of the game, sure it's not great. But if I get lucky enough to be at a table with 3 or 4 sitouts and a couple tight players, I can literally increase my stack blind by blind with little push back with any 2 cards I'm dealt.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not happy with the situation you are always free to enter tournaments with real buy-ins at any given time at any site. noone forces you to play in freerolls where players do whatever they want.

I am sure there will be a lot less "sitters" 😄

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not be angry at all, but be happy to have the opportunity to steal blinds in between. If someone does it all the time and plays very loose, just wait for a premium hand and call ;)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not happy with the situation you are always free to enter tournaments with real buy-ins at any given time at any site. noone forces you to play in freerolls where players do whatever they want.
Exactly. Nobody will complain, if people register for a 5$ SnG or a 3,3$ MTT instead of a freeroll. In fact sites would much prefer that, because then they earn rake. Fun fact: In the last CC freeroll, I played (USA and friends on pokerstars) I accidentally ended up sitting out after around one hour, because I feel asleep. I would never have entered a normal MTT, if I was this tired, but as you say, in freerolls people can and will do, whatever they want, as long as its not against the rules :)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm even more happy with this position at the table. I can take away without paying chips with a bad hand and play with the worst card.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don’t find it annoying at all, in fact I prefer having 3 or 4 sitters at my table. The fewer players the greater my advantage when playing less than premium hands that kind of whiff.
same I prefer this and also stealing their blinds. I sometimes do sit out early either because I'm making food or I'm running late and will join in later

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I don't mater and I play with active players on my table.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It doesn't bother me, they are free chips

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was alone at the table many times, everyone else slept, or happened together - the rest of the sleep. in an expensive tournament it is unlikely that at least one will meet, in freerolls it has always been

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Yes, this has happened to me a number of times over the years. It's hard to say how many, but my guess 30-40 times. The only problem I have with it, is I sometimes get RSI of the "mouse finger".

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly. Nobody will complain, if people register for a 5$ SnG or a 3,3$ MTT instead of a freeroll. In fact sites would much prefer that, because then they earn rake. Fun fact: In the last CC freeroll, I played (USA and friends on PokerStars) I accidentally ended up sitting out after around one hour, because I feel asleep. I would never have entered a normal MTT, if I was this tired, but as you say, in freerolls people can and will do, whatever they want, as long as its not against the rules :)
Yes my friend and funny story. People who complain about people sitting out are basically complaining about the possibility to win free chips. They probably would not complain when people would sitout in higher buy-ins, which makes it even more ridiculous 🙂

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It doesn't bother me at all , sometimes I am one of these '' sitters '' , I do not believe it's bad . Sometimes players sit out in buy in games as well , of course ok freerolls they are many . But why should anyone complain , it's free chips , it s my right to sit out and continue after a while or not continue at all . I believe most players on CC freerolls sit in after a while , maybe at the start of the tourney there are many sit outs , then many of them do sit in , very few are the non show at all players .

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is the best think that could happen.
That giving you positional advantage to resteal and get more chip in with your valuable hand

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
always the same history, and the same members "mocking" freerolls.

T

Tuoppi76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FI
Chips
Yes, this has happened to me a number of times over the years. It's hard to say how many, but my guess 30-40 times. The only problem I have with it, is I sometimes get RSI of the "mouse finger".
Happened to me too, but just once.. Made a good stack in about 10min as it lasted.. even made it to the final then.. :)

Reail

Reail

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't understand why you are complaining. They practically give you chips. Yes, it's boring. But profitable.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips

I think it's a good idea, if there are sitters at the start of the game, the platform (any) should give them at most 5 waiting hands and then eliminate the players.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing to complain about is when players limp with the sitters -burning the equity of all the active players at the table.