Sitting Out on Freeroll Tournaments

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only find it embarrassing when I overlooked the fact that the one after me is a sit outer and that I folded to him. Sometimes I'm a bit distracted and then something like that happens and I'm deeply ashamed when I notice it, but otherwise I have no problem getting chips for free.
No need to feel ashamed, but this is one of the things, that can happen, if we are not paying full attention. Another example is folding a junky hand in the big blind, because we failed to notice, that the effective stack is so short, we were priced in to call with any two. Or thinking, we are open jamming a marginal hand blind vs. blind, but then much to our surprice we get called by someone, who had limped into the pot :)

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I am happy about the free chips and try to steal the blinds from them :)

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's all a matter of strategy. In freeroll tournaments players tend to play loosely at the beginning to build up their stack or get out early and not lose 2~3 hours of play to earn 20 cents. So it's often best to stay out of the first 15~20 minutes and avoid unnecessary all-ins. After a while the game adjusts and becomes more balanced. So you've preserved your stack for this time. There are also situations where the player is involved in another tournament and wants to prioritize, especially if he has a buy in. In the end, Poker is adaptation. adapt

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is one of my pet peeves, i see it often on the CC freerolls, we only have 30 minute sign-up & these players are signing-up and sitting out and blind out all their chips, i don't get it.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
It is one of my pet peeves, i see it often on the CC freerolls, we only have 30 minute sign-up & these players are signing-up and sitting out and blind out all their chips, i don't get it.
And if you'd get it then poker wouldn't be as intresting right :unsure:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loyalers get the passwords for a whole month at a time, so maybe its a loyaler, who registered early, and then something else came up, and they forgot to unregister. Or someone dont have time to play the freeroll, but they still like to go for the small chance, they might be able to fold their way to a min-cash. Thats not exactly in the spirit of the game, but its not against any rules either.

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Is it me or is it annoying to play a tournament and have 3 or 4 "sitters" at the table. It seems that it is happening more often with more players. If you are at a table with sitters, it gives a positional advantage to who is sitting to the right to claim the blinds and disrupts the flow and strategy of the game. It would be nice if you had to "take your seat" at the start of a game and not be sitting there posting antes and blinds as free chips for the person to your right. I Say I Say I Say please do away with sitters going to the table at the start of a tournament.
The "take your seat" suggestion is very good. Should be tried as an experiment.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be happy to take the blinds and antes with a number of players sitting out. I am only annoyed in this scenario when a player has a better position than me to take advantage of the players sitting out.

treblek1

treblek1

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there are a lot of them but it is very good free chips :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The "take your seat" suggestion is very good. Should be tried as an experiment.
In freerolls this would be fine, since nobody are entitled to a freeroll. But in other tournaments this would not work. If people have paid to participate, they can of course not just be removed from the tournament, as long as they still have chips. Then the poker site would need to refund their money, and poker sites have no interest in doing this. On most sites deregistration is only allowed until a minute or so, before the tournament begin, and this is of course for a reason. Some people might even use it as a sort of table selection and not take their seat, if they see only "sharks" and no "fish".

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's actually preferred, I rather play 4 people than 8

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It doesn't matter,the point is to win. Fewer opponents means you are more likely to win .

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the bad thing about having a lot of players out and that the cards are distributed to everyone at the table but you only play against 4 or 5, the good side is that the range is more open so there is more space to 3-bet by bluff or by value

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it me or is it annoying to play a tournament and have 3 or 4 "sitters" at the table. It seems that it is happening more often with more players. If you are at a table with sitters, it gives a positional advantage to who is sitting to the right to claim the blinds and disrupts the flow and strategy of the game. It would be nice if you had to "take your seat" at the start of a game and not be sitting there posting antes and blinds as free chips for the person to your right. I Say I Say I Say please do away with sitters going to the table at the start of a tournament.
I don't care if there are some sitters at the table but ideally would be that all my opponents are sitters :LOL:, in this way I can increase my stack rapidly. They can be sitters from a lot of reasons, maybe they started the game but something more important appeared and they hope that will rejoin latter, or bad connection, or... you can't do anything to ban this. But it's a good thing that they fold every hand. I remember that in the past (more than 10 years), the sitters were not folded when they were all in and it was frustrating to lose that blind or less against a sitter

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I sign up and something comes up and I cant stray so I'm sitting out.

Majaloja

Majaloja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I see a lot of players sitting out in Cardschat freeroll tournaments on GGpoker, I think registrations for these tournaments start very early.
A few days ago I was playing the tournament and I was the only one present at the table, the other players were all sitting out.
Of course I'm not complaining about this, but I prefer with all the players present the game becomes more interesting.;)(y)

You're right, they should apply like pokerstars tournaments, open the keys, half an hour before. 12 hours is a long time and sometimes it becomes a bit awkward when there are several people present and you are not the chip leader at the table and someone else is attacking you and taking the blinds of those who are not there. I've also seen someone defend against the aggressor, but the variance works against them and you end up eliminated by the aggressor.

Majaloja

Majaloja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't care if there are some sitters at the table but ideally would be that all my opponents are sitters :LOL:, in this way I can increase my stack rapidly. They can be sitters from a lot of reasons, maybe they started the game but something more important appeared and they hope that will rejoin latter, or bad connection, or... you can't do anything to ban this. But it's a good thing that they fold every hand. I remember that in the past (more than 10 years), the sitters were not folded when they were all in and it was frustrating to lose that blind or less against a sitter
I do remember him at PokerStars. :D:D

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know it's boring to play with anyone, that is, with the absentees, sometimes even I'm absent, especially when I'm on the 888, when you play in a lot of tournaments, it crashes and I have to close the site and open it again so I can play, stay calm and enjoy

C

Cromel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I just finished a tourney on 888 and at the first table all besides me and 2 others were sitting out, ended taking them and a few of their rebuys out. Got a nice stack that helped me a lot later on.

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freerolls this would be nice, since no one has the right to a freeroll. But in other tournaments this wouldn't work. If people have paid to participate, of course they can't just be eliminated from the tournament, as long as they still have chips. Then the poker site would have to refund your money, and the poker sites have no interest in doing so. On most sites, deregistration is only allowed until about a minute, before the tournament starts, and this is of course for a reason. Some people could even use it as a kind of table pick and not take a seat, if they only see “sharks” and not “fish”.

I agree with you in free maybe, and to give an example of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the replay platform previously eliminated players after some time has elapsed, I haven't noticed if they're still doing it, personally it doesn't bother me, in the free ones everyone does what they want however they want and I quote you too “as long as it doesn't go against the rules”, now in real money games I think it would be a bad strategy for a poker room, many factors against it.