Should I open shove AJss with 10bb?

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no ICM considerations and antes, it's a shove.

Just bc you ran into AQ/AK a couple times, doesn't mean it isn't a shove.

I shoved A7ss in EP to MP(8 handed) with ~9BBs, a really nitty image and a BB who was similarly stacked and who had and VPIP of 8% last night in an MTT well before the money. There were big antes and given my image I still like the shove, but it's definitely worth discussion.

AJss with 10BBs is a shove.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
With 10BB, in such a tourney, it could easily seam like an automatic shove. The many variables, especially the dynamic of the table could however dictate otherwise. Your decision should be based on whatever info you'd have accumulated at that table...

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ on 10 bb utg 9 handed is little to weak AK-AQ +77

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I genuinely dont get why people don't think this is a good hand to shove? You have TEN big blinds, you're short stacked. Saying you need AQ+ or any pair over 77 is silly, you'll be blinded out of the tournament most of the time, and you don't want to get to the point where oyu're so short stacked you want to see just 1 King or Ace in your hand to shove with.... AJ is certainly alot better then any 2 cards, and you're not going to wait forever... Hes suited , he has a decent kicker if he hits his ace, and top kicker if he hits his jack...

I get everyone's all about table image and position and blah blah, but you're short, so this stuff shouldn't come into account when making your decision.

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the pot consists of equal or greater chips to your stack, then a shove would be optimal.

pokerdemon11

pokerdemon11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me there is no definitive right or wrong answer here. It depends on the situation, the table, how you have been running. You got to ultimately decide that if you shove with the AJ and bust will you feel good about the play. If you answer no then its an obvious fold. Sometimes listening to your gut works as well.

Martin Birulia

Martin Birulia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Better yea than no

AJss Utg 10 bbs stack mid stages not near the money is this profitable I've ran into AK a few times and bust ?
It depends on the position you have.
In early position - fold.
In middle position - fold.
In other positions (blinds and late) - better to bet all-in.

H

Hajniiii

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if we get one back UTG raise it prefers a strong hand. AJ but not bad either.
Weaker players than the recall may also JQ.
If you know a player can tell you more but I failed many times with AK against AJ J I came up and there was so much.

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove mostly. But I don't think, that folding is totally incorrect.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with 10bbs in a standard sng you can shove AJs in the hijack...so shove happily

Y

YtM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all really depends. If you have the big stack beside you, I probably wouldn't shove it. As someone stated before, you are about to be 1.5bbs down real soon as you are UTG. I know a lot of people are not a fan of this play but you could even limp, see how the hand develops and then make your decision from there.

Z

zcorrell0326

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I genuinely dont get why people don't think this is a good hand to shove? You have TEN big blinds, you're short stacked. Saying you need AQ+ or any pair over 77 is silly, you'll be blinded out of the tournament most of the time, and you don't want to get to the point where oyu're so short stacked you want to see just 1 King or Ace in your hand to shove with.... AJ is certainly alot better then any 2 cards, and you're not going to wait forever... Hes suited , he has a decent kicker if he hits his ace, and top kicker if he hits his jack...

I get everyone's all about table image and position and blah blah, but you're short, so this stuff shouldn't come into account when making your decision.

What this guy said, you can't count on a much better hand than that. The only thing that would matter slightly to me is if there's someone at the table who has a shorter stack than me. If there was I would probably think a little harder about it and weigh some other variables.

D

Dudon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im against shoving in tournys that stage. i would only go for it if it was late stages\appx near the bubble as usually you would find players get tighter at that spot

ViresIntus

ViresIntus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mainly it depends on your position at the table. IF your in late position then you can play it, though I wouldnt shove alot of chips, but tripling the BB would make it so you can win a big pot.
However, if your sitting in early and mid, I would just try and limp in with that kind of hand, AQ AK AA KK QQ JJ 1010 are your big threats, so too little outs for you to be aggressive so early in the game.

P

PokerRex

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO. Not mostly unless you want to make a gut call.

I would shove only when I have suited AJ in either middle or late position.

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10BB i probably would shove here for sure but it depends on the stage of the tourney and antes

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember watching the wsop on TV several years ago. Howard Lederer gave this advice to the player next to him who was short stacked, "Once you are down to 10x BB, shove all in with any A, any suited connectors, or any pair." The announcers then said on air, "He is giving good advice." I have followed it ever since. Why wait for the perfect hand when your chip stack is low. As you lose more to antes and blinds, you lose fold equity. Be aggressive when your stack is still big enough to induce others to fold.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJss Utg 10 bbs stack mid stages not near the money is this profitable I've ran into AK a few times and bust ?

I would simply call the blind and wait for a raise. then you go over the top. That would be the most profitable way. The best part about this call is that if any 3 bets or chip leader attacking the 2nd largest stack, then i say get the hell out!! So yes, i say call first

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is obv a fistpump jam AINEC. Can you link the RIO video where someone says this should be a fold please OP? I'm intrigued.

L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just go all in, 10bb short stack

B

bassnbrad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In any tourney if you are down to 10 BB's you will need to chip up or blind out, A/J UTG is not the best of hands but not the worst either. A little luck goes a long way...

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd shove with AJ suited in from any position, 10 bb's it is very small stack, cause the main before bubble is to grow your stack.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FR or 6max tourney? how many players dealt in regardless of format?

Are ante's in play?

Any huge stacks at the table? what's your position relative to the big stacks? has it been an agressive table or a passive table?

Turbo blinds or reg speed?

All very good and legit questions