• Total voters
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without knowing anything about the villans, i might be a little cautious after seeing a utg min raise get 3b, the utg could have nothing, but the early 3 bet he should have something pretty good ie AK, JJ

so i think a fold is good play there

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was 45 minutes into the tourney, so I obviously had no read on anybody. The guy who 3-bet had folded almost every hand up to that point, except for a couple that he C-bet the flop on both times, so I knew it was hit a 10 on the flop or fold. I don't know what he had, but I am 90 percent confident he had either JJ, QQ, KK or AA. After the flop came, he tossed a 5000 chip into the pot and said "five." A player asked if he meant to bet 500 or 5000, and he said 5000. The dealer called the floor over, and the floor ruled that since he only said "five" and not "five thousand" that the bet was 500.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he was going to bet 5000 chips on a 2025 pot? Lol thats just a bad play, because he commited a big part of his stack for winning just 1800 chips and thats a donk move. Maybe this player was kind of a nit but calling still was the best option here. In worst scensrio you were going to have 54 bb left which is still a lot to play.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no he wasn't there were still 3 more behind him left to act

Only 2 players sb and bb are behind him. Both players were in a bad position to make a call because they will have to act first on the flop. Also if the 3 bet was 10 or 12 bb or utg made a higher bet folding can be a good option. Utg just min raise and another player 3 bets. This doesnt mean his hand is dominated because hands like ak,aq even aj and qk are on the range of a 3 bet for many players. Also i think im going to start polarizing my ranges on utg because it seems that for most players utg is only allowed to raise with monster hands.... And thats not how it always works on the tables. Some players can raise utg with 22 and they might take advantage of players who thinks they had a great hand because they just raise from utg or early positions.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So easy fold - 10 10 is nothing because 3 players are still to act , and allready action with raise and reraise and two calls. FOLD

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy fold here,

hero has to pay 600/9k to see what happened with the next 3 players left to speak,

one of them could shove which would make hero to fold anyway, and if they only fold/call, then there is no much sense to play TT in a multiway unless hero gets the set which is very unlikely to see in the flop ,

and worse than that if one of them 4bets, say, to something between 1.2 to 2k hero would be tempted to pay again to see a very expensive flop with little to nothing expectations,

actually pockets jacks in this scenario should be fold too,

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
hard for me but its a fold
raise from utg and 3bet from utg+1 tells me that you win only with a 10 in the flop
i dont even think that they have hands like aj and ak.i think they have a better pair from you
4bet commites you and its a bad option there
you should fold hands like qq there, imo
cry and fold is the best move there

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you either have to fold or setmine. IMO shoving is not a real good option this early into the tournament because at best were looking at a flip against a hand like AQ, AK if someone calls. Also, we could be looking at two calls if UTG has AK or JJ+ and UTG+1 QQ+. I'd probably call though hoping for a set. I mean if we call and UTG has a higher pocket pair he's probably going to shove and then it's an easy fold. Yes, you lost 900 chips, but you're still in an okay position this early in the tournament. Plus, if you hit a set you're looking at a really good pay off more than likely with the action that has already happened in front of you.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
hard for me but its a fold
raise from utg and 3bet from utg+1 tells me that you win only with a 10 in the flop
i dont even think that they have hands like aj and ak.i think they have a better pair from you
4bet commites you and its a bad option there
you should fold hands like qq there, imo
cry and fold is the best move there

fold queens? Come on..! Its only a 6bb raise with queens i might even 4 bet here.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he was going to bet 5000 chips on a 2025 pot? Lol thats just a bad play, because he commited a big part of his stack for winning just 1800 chips and thats a donk move. Maybe this player was kind of a nit but calling still was the best option here. In worst scensrio you were going to have 54 bb left which is still a lot to play.

There were four people in the pot, plus the small and big blinds. So the pot before the flop was up to 3,825. If he had JJ, QQ, KK or AA, which I think he did, I don't think a 5K bet was a bad idea. As it is, 2 of the other 3 people called his 500, and the fourth guy folded. I can't remember what the action was after the turn and river. I think they actually all checked the turn, and then when the river came up a 3rd spade, another guy bet big and the original 3-better called. He mucked his cards after the guy showed his flush.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There were four people in the pot, plus the small and big blinds. So the pot before the flop was up to 3,825. If he had JJ, QQ, KK or AA, which I think he did, I don't think a 5K bet was a bad idea. As it is, 2 of the other 3 people called his 500, and the fourth guy folded. I can't remember what the action was after the turn and river. I think they actually all checked the turn, and then when the river came up a 3rd spade, another guy bet big and the original 3-better called. He mucked his cards after the guy showed his flush.

Sorry i dont realize that four players were involved in the pot. I still think that you should have called and wait to hit a 10 on the flop and fold any 4 bet.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have about a 12 percent chance of hitting a set, and it was going to cost me about 10 percent of my remaining chips, so I just wasn't sure it was worth it. Plus, the fact the blinds and the original raiser were still to act just convinced me it was a bad gamble. Hindight is always 20/20, and if I had a bigger stack or it had been a little later in the tourney, I might have felt differently.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When hero has to act there is 3225 in the pot and needs 900 to call so getting 3.6:1 or thereabouts. As noted only 8:1 to hit set on flop which we are pretty sure we need. Not sure about implied odds because there are so many people in the hand and so many flops that include a T where hero could still be behind. All that and hero could commit 10% of stack to a pot where he may not even see the flop if, disregarding the blinds, UTG 4-bets or shoves. Based on the simple maths this is a straightforward fold.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When hero has to act there is 3225 in the pot and needs 900 to call so getting 3.6:1 or thereabouts. As noted only 8:1 to hit set on flop which we are pretty sure we need. Not sure about implied odds because there are so many people in the hand and so many flops that include a T where hero could still be behind. All that and hero could commit 10% of stack to a pot where he may not even see the flop if, disregarding the blinds, UTG 4-bets or shoves. Based on the simple maths this is a straightforward fold.

You brought up two important considerations for me: that 3 people, including the original raiser, still had to act, and that my 10-10 was probably behind from the get-go. As I said, I am relatively certain the 3-better had at least JJ, so I was worried that I could hit a 10 and get trumped set over set.

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pot odds are good, but fold to the squeeze play because you are probably getting squeezed if you flat and more than likely getting pushed on if you 4-bet....So, FOLD! Set mining not reasonable against the possible squeeze plays. So...take advantage of your position, collect the information received from that position and use that information to fold. Those who are taking the initiative in the earlier positions are setting up a squeeze move and your hand is not strong enough to sustain the squeeze. That's what you did, right? Do tell! Please.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I folded. Would have hit a 10 on the flop and a full house on the turn and won a huge pot, but I still think it was a good decision. I also think calling would have also been a good decision. This is one of those instances that either option would have been okay. A call would have been a much more risky move, but one that could have been sustained.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 60 bb's approximately, you're still deep enough that you don't have to force the issue by doing anything other than folding. Yes, it's probably a bit on the tight side, but the action ahead of me just tells me that we're likely behind.

I'd rather save my stack to apply pressure in a situation that's more optimal. With the action behind you, 10's likely play bad in this spot in a multi-way pot. I'd rather save my chips for better spots.

J

jimmy62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to fold that one,putting at least one if not two of the other players on a better pair.Even if you hit your set on flop,if there is also an overcard it would be hard to bet your set with confidence or even call all in.But thats just me.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have to fold uniquely. One raised and another re-raise. You flop had to get another 10. And vykidat 10% of the stack is not necessary.

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only thing you should do if you call is set mine as most said. I would even step away even if i hit my set and there is a K or A on the board. I dont believe for a second that the person would reraise w QQ early in position like that, but w KK or AA they definitely would so i would definitely first put them on what i thought they had. Then i would probably call the flop to see if i could hit them and trap them into overplaying their AA or KK. Other than that i am trashing the hand post flop. Its only 1/10 your stack so its not devistating you especially early in the tournament like that and your potential for implied is 10,000 plus... So i would call 900 to see if i could hit my hand knowing full and well that i am behind. I often play tournements and early in stages i use implied odds because my reads are usually spot on. If i can put someone on a hand that i am almost 95% sure they have then i can play against them. Even if i am behind and know it in this situation then i am going to call to see what happens on the flop, losing 900 chips isnt going to kill me and im only down 2000 total chips early in a tournament w nearly 50BBs still left. Plenty of room to do work and find other spots to pick, but the potential for set mining in my opinion is too big to pass up esepcially if the person is capable of overplaying their overpair. Now if all the players are really really good i may just let it go preflop becasue i know they will spot that i hit my set and i wont get paid anyways, but more than likely a person may overplay his/her overpair and it be a good call preflop at 1/10 my stack leaving me over 50BBs. thats my analysis, if its a seasoned veteran reraising w the big pair preflop, let it go preflop, if its an unknown person and you think they are capable of overplaing the overpair call to set mine.

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha... i just read what happened after i posted. IMO i think calling is the best option there just becasue of the implied odds early in a tournament, although i can see why you would fold becasue of all the action behind you, but chances are you arent going to get anyone shoving over top becasue your best hands came before and the min raise to open UTG couldnt be too strong so chances are he was just going to call the reraise. Thas the reasons i would have called to see the flop, you had wayyy wayy too many blinds left to be scared of losing 10% this early in the tournament. especially, when the blinds were so low. when you have over 50BBS left and you are only risking 10% of your stack i think its a good reason to call to try and set mine to see if you can get someone to overplay or in this case... i guess hit an A high flush. But again like i said before it has to be noted how loose and how tight and how good the players in the hand are, and the players behind you. The only reason i could see a fold in that position is becasue you are high hat basically and you have so many to act behind you. Maybe next time call early for those implied odds. I understand you are rookie of the year, so you arent making many bad plays, but with the blinds this low and that early in the tournament i think you should consider a call next time you are in that situation.

27DaNutz

27DaNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me its a really easy fold .. even if UTG and UTG+1 have been playing really loose i still find it hard to even call or shove here..

UTG - JJ+,AJs+,AJo+

UTG+1 - JJ+,AKs

you pretty much always going to be behind so the best/safer option would be to fold.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands