Should i fold AK preflop?

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your read of the other player. What range do you put him on? if AK beats their range, go ahead and throw that money in.

C

concoman710

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need more information..

What has villain been up to? How active? What position are you and villain in and what are the effective chip stacks. What was the preflop action in the last 20 hands.

etc.

T

threebitches

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For the most part i see alot of people raise preflop with AK... I started raising preflop also to find tons of disappointment losing to smaller hands or pocket pairs... Its just another hand... But a good one!

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the initial stage of the tournament, according to mathematical calculations, chips do not stand much and risk the whole stack. I would throw off AK

oneloy

oneloy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omg! Here is an obvious fold! You have 30bb.You in the initial stage of the tournament should fold such hands on all-in ...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have folded that hand. AK is good but still a drawing hand. Unless this player has been pushing repeatedly, I tend to think that they have some kind of pocket pair or AK themselves. In that case I am likely a small dog. Being he is on the button that could open his range some but at level 3 you may not have enough of a read on him. I would lay this one down and take my chances with future hands. Just my preference.

H

honeywabbitt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i only go all in pre flop with high pairs

D

dober8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
eh

This hand should be folded depending on the betting pattern. I would say 85% of the time should be played. There are times when it just is not a profitable play.

S

Slabfoot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think so

i always hold AK especialy suited.but your likely to hit the A or K or even a possible royal flush with them suited.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 30BB I think you raised too much preflop. I know you were trying to stay above standard, but personally I want callers in this situations, or maybe a min 3bet. So I can shove over the top in hopes they are 3bet bluffing. Regaurdless in this situation he was calling you no matter what. Now 165 gave him a reason to isolate you figuring you had even stacks, with 2 large stacks in the blinds. With that said, based off what he had, he was gonna isolate regaurdless. The diffrence is, Isolating on 2.5bb compared to 3.3bb is a game changer in this situation. It's a lot easier to get away when you have less then 10% already invested, compared to over 10% invested under this situation.

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is very dangerous hand for calling. Push looks good. In this situation, depending on what the player rearranges. There was a situation with me-the maniac was all in every hand in the freeroll well, and I called with AK without fear. got into the flip against 10 10 and lost, but I think that the decision took the right one)

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your call here is ok though folding would also be an option because you still have the stack to do well in the tourney if you just fold.

I think it is more interesting to discuss if you could have avoided the all in reraise with a different bet size...

You just bet 2.5 BB in a freeroll. You often see a bunch of calls after such a bet. The player with KK doesn’t want many people in the hand so he pushes.

Maybe he would just have called a 4 BB bet because he would have considered that 2 bets of that size would keep players with mediocre hands out...

AK is strong enough to make the call in that hand but it is always nicer to get to see a flop with AK and then decide if You are willing to risk your whole stack with it

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is and will always be a monster. I never fold AK, even jason mercier said that once. You may end up getting blinded away while looking for a better spot. Sometimes you have you opponent crushed, other times its a flip. But AK in a tournament should always be played, and played aggressively.

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No! short answer

It really depends where you are in the game the type of game etc button cash...

Generally AK off is not to be overplayed so going all in pre-flop is not the best action.

More like AA KK or QQ Even then you can be overplaying depending where you are at and the importance of the game you are playing. If you are in for the long hall then its a bad move. If your down to 10 BB then go for it.

Just my opinion!

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on a lot of things, but when you its a good question, depending on dituation I might be all in with KQ.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In a tournament of course there are maby situatios where you'll fold AK preflop in early stages for example is just not worth it the duplicate so early in the tournament with an AK, also if you're close to a nice price and ging ALL IN with AK means that you could be out of the mtt is also a situation where fold it might be right...since is not a made hand is always the underdo agains a pocket pair like 44+ or 55+

GL on the Tables!

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are so good at using that statistics then why not fold AK? Is not that strong comparing with KK or AA. The best rule in poker is to fold in any unknown situations especially when you dont know what to do or if you are not sure in strongness of you hand

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a controversial hand to be played in this kind of situations because some players would pay with their eyed closed on the other hand others would think a lot and throw away their cards.There are many factor which would influence in this kind of hand such as:
Type of tournament specially freerolls some players want to build a great stack early in tournaments and they push all in with hands A10+.
Your position in the table.
Type of your opponent.
The effective stack.
And remember It is not the same push all your chips in than call an all in.

Last edited:
Folding in Poker