thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The freeroll tonight, a pre-flop raise by a clown who had previously raised with 7-5. I flop bottom set with a straight on the board. One player bets, I whack it all-in hoping he doesn't have the straight or if he does that the board will pair, and he is slow playing queens. Sigh.

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Looks like you werent the only one in that game who crashed out with :8h4::8d4: lol ...

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play, the more such situations will be, this is inevitable. From my experience, I can only say one thing, the pain from such situations becomes less.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The freeroll tonight, a pre-flop raise by a clown who had previously raised with 7-5. I flop bottom set with a straight on the board. One player bets, I whack it all-in hoping he doesn't have the straight or if he does that the board will pair, and he is slow playing queens. Sigh.
Try to understand that in freerolls all players can change playing style randomly by various cause, so can you also, than avoid to use such words as "clown', "fish", etc.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time I ever score a set is when I'm about to be beat by a better set or a str8 or a flush or a FH or quads.

BTW - raising w/ 75 isn't necessarily a "clown" play. 72 - yes.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well just because he raised 7-5 off 1 time doesnt make him a clown?
and its a freeroll you will see this happen more often than not

yes also in CC freerolls!

the slow playing part sure maybe? but he could also be playing more tables than just this one

sucks he also flopped a set but thats poker nothing you can do about it
we all get them and vice versa.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Try to understand that in freerolls all players can change playing style randomly by various cause, so can you also, than avoid to use such words as "clown', "fish", etc.

It isn't only freerolls, I can give you chapter and verse of people being outdrawn by people calling wildly against pot odds with garbage. If you doubt this, look at some of the play on higher limit tables, not only hold 'em, and you will see the same thing. These people are clowns and fish.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The only time I ever score a set is when I'm about to be beat by a better set or a str8 or a flush or a FH or quads.

BTW - raising w/ 75 isn't necessarily a "clown" play. 72 - yes.

The 7-5 raise wasn't that hand, it was this one. I re-raised and won the pot.

Attachments

• raised-with.jpg
    raised-with.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 25
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It isn't only freerolls, I can give you chapter and verse of people being outdrawn by people calling wildly against pot odds with garbage. If you doubt this, look at some of the play on higher limit tables, not only hold 'em, and you will see the same thing. These people are clowns and fish.

If you are going to call someone "clown" or "fish" after playing a CC freeroll, may I suggest, you have to courtesy to not post a screenshot showing player names? The person is actually a member of this forum. In my opinion you are the real "clown" here, because you tilt over the outcome of a freeroll. It cost you nothing to enter, so just chill out and enjoy the fun :)

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I agree! Players cannot be insulted, and this is prohibited by the rules !!!

A

Arbas33

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your bad luck that you had a lower set :(

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you are going to call someone "clown" or "fish" after playing a CC freeroll, may I suggest, you have to courtesy to not post a screenshot showing player names? The person is actually a member of this forum. In my opinion you are the real "clown" here, because you tilt over the outcome of a freeroll. It cost you nothing to enter, so just chill out and enjoy the fun :)

I didn't tilt, but point taken. Playing some Omaha later today.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes that the worst feeling, playing mid pair hoping for a set, hitting it and thinking you’re trapping the other guy who turns out flopped a higher set. Depending on board texture, there’s a high chance you will lose all your chips in these situations. Hard to fold a flopped set.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think this is not the only his post named like this. And probably he thinks that you need to play only with pocket pairs and premium hands to win. In my opinion CC freerolls are different from others due to a lot of good players over here, except of Friday and Saturday ones of course. Titled other players like a "clown" or "fish" in CC freeroll especially with posted names on the screenshot is really bad idea I believe.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its rake generation I see it all the time, you are playing on a website that is out to make money, end of story. These types of players who raise with trash hands and bet constantly from behind get fed because it makes the site money. Then they are often rewarded with these hands because players like yourself tag them as not being worth a crap and play more hands against them with hands like you have here. Once again though creating more rake generation. Here is something else a lot of people here aren't going to like that are actually with me on this, its never going to change. As long as people keep playing in massive numbers and they keep depositing, there is no reason to change.

If you are smart enough to say it's a freeroll/tournament and there is no rake generation I really do feel bad for you. You think they somehow thought out that they needed two different NG programs, one for tournaments, and one for ring games? What sense does that make? Not very cost effective. No matter what people tell you on this site online poker is rigged to an extent. If I was looking to just play online poker I would quit in a heartbeat but I play freerolls to support my sports betting.

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The way you worded your OP made me think you were talking about the same player having QQ & 75.

Which didn't make much sense to me at all.

As others have mentioned, best not to make derogatory posts with pictures attached containing usernames.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think this is not the only his post named like this. And probably he thinks that you need to play only with pocket pairs and premium hands to win. In my opinion CC freerolls are different from others due to a lot of good players over here, except of Friday and Saturday ones of course. Titled other players like a "clown" or "fish" in CC freeroll especially with posted names on the screenshot is really bad idea I believe.

The way you worded your OP made me think you were talking about the same player having QQ & 75.

Which didn't make much sense to me at all.

As others have mentioned, best not to make derogatory posts with pictures attached containing usernames.
I'd said already that named "clown" and "fish" people playing freeroll with any hands not correct, regardless you post their screenshots (nicks) or not.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'd said already that named "clown" and "fish" people playing freeroll with any hands not correct, regardless you post their screenshots (nicks) or not.
Valid point! :icon_thum

Constructive criticism is good, name calling and the suchlike is not.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whining about a cooler is just a waste of time. Nothing you can do and nothing you can learn from it.

I am curious however about the effective stack sizes in this hand -- if you are ripping it all in on a stack size of about 40bb or less its going to be totally fine assuming villan bet the flop properly and isn't over betting themselves. The issue here would be if you were both fairly deep stacked - say 60bb+

If you just rip in 60bb into a pot of 9bb then you are grossly overbet jamming into a situation where you are mostly ONLY going to get called by better. Sure freerolls are spazzy - but they also build bad habits - and good solid winning poker works on all levels and should be your goal overall. Ripping in 60bb+ into a flop cbet is just insanity.

Domt just blindly bet, think about the hand...there are alot of combos you can get value from on this board but there are also alot of bad cards you don't want rolling off as well - still no need to go broke here unless it's unavoidable - and that will happen sometimes - those are coolers and we don't care about them because there is nothing to learn! In this particular scenario if you are deep stacked and you just jam over a villans cbet -- why are you doing this? I assume it's certainly for value, so what value hands are you targeting here?

Think about it - there aren't many worse hands here that will call your overbet...but there are a few better ones that will. As you move up in buy in levels you won't find villans stacking off in massive pots with just a Q. Some villans will even fold top two pair here in that scenario - and if you are chasing out two pair, you are losing tons of value.

Poker is all about making the correct decisions in the moment - you need to understand what you are doing if you are looking to do well on this game. Hope this helps.