Right or wrong? I think right

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like you'll never know the answer to your question as some are saying call every time, some are saying fold and play another hand. It sounds like opinions, and not based on the gajillion factors one has to calculate to get the supposed answer from sound mathematical equations. I see it this way, if you feel good about your hand, then go with it. If you aren't certain then fold the mofo. When you have nothing concrete to go on, all ways heed your gut feeling, that's one of the tools that isn't available on any sites or in any programs.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It looks like you'll never know the answer to your question as some are saying call every time, some are saying fold and play another hand. It sounds like opinions, and not based on the gajillion factors one has to calculate to get the supposed answer from sound mathematical equations. I see it this way, if you feel good about your hand, then go with it. If you aren't certain then fold the mofo. When you have nothing concrete to go on, all ways heed your gut feeling, that's one of the tools that isn't available on any sites or in any programs.

This is decent advice.

However, in this scenario, there are many different hands that hero is crushing here, and only 2 he has to worry about. It is a no brainer - get it in. On top of all of this, it's a freeroll. Why anyone would suggest folding is questionable.

I think hero made the right play here calling. He got his money in great. Villain had 1 live card, and sucks out FTW. Tough break. But poker is about making the correct decisions, regardless of the outcome. Hero did just that.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Startstack or shortstack? Important, but startstack is 75bb..

Generally, yeah, snapcall, but if you really don't want to deal with the short term variance, you can wait a little bit and try to chip up as the play gears more towards post flop, which you presumably have an edge at (if you don't have an edge, then you shouldn't consider folding here.

But if you're short then none of this matters. Get it in.

I thought it said short stack.

L

luckyhearts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only lay down qq on the bubble.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everyone have already pointed out. Snap call. What do you have to lose? 0$ , right.

If it were a microstakes, even then SNAP!

But when the buyins high, you have to think through and get a good read on that player before taking the decision.

B

Bomysp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 to 4 favourite... early in tournament, freeroll- easy decision

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call, Just unlucky you were a 3/4 fav

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also do the same. 75% of the odds were in his favor. It was only the variance of the game, which takes place in any time and place, especially with all-in pre flop.

B

Boriska797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are moments when it is necessary to risk that money was.And the best of all to wait it good map!

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never QQ all in preF during FREEROLL

I was playing a freeroll on pokerstars with a 3k pricepool and 650 participants. 15 minutes in was I with startstack and an aggressive player went all-in with a 4BB shorter stack than me. I call pre-flop with QQ he has A9 and he hits the Ace on the river.

I checked the hand-analysis afterwards and saw that I will win 3 of 4 times. But is it worth the risk in a such a good tournament??

Hi there !

I have few similar experience during freerolls...and on thing you have to take into account is that those freerolls are AI BINGO players festival !

I have seen some many crazy AI calls with A2os or A5s to KK or QQ and somehow for most of the times the Ace came on the flop and the Ace masters won and eliminated the other player.

SO in my opinion I would only make standard raise preF and then see what happens ...wont go AI preF unless you are Short Stack .

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
an aggressive player went all-in with a 4BB shorter stack than me

We're talking a freeroll.
If you note a player aggressive in a freeroll he must be like a maniac.
Snap call because you're so much ahead of his range it's almost insane.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well.. it's a freeroll ;)

Anything goes :eek:

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just how poker goes. If you are on the bubble...sometimes folding to insure that you get to ITM is a safe play...but its very hard to lay down QQ. I would say call is a good play, but poker can be any given hand with a preflop call.

G

gianni

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

I was playing a freeroll on pokerstars with a 3k pricepool and 650 participants. 15 minutes in was I with startstack and an aggressive player went all-in with a 4BB shorter stack than me. I call pre-flop with QQ he has A9 and he hits the Ace on the river.

I checked the hand-analysis afterwards and saw that I will win 3 of 4 times. But is it worth the risk in a such a good tournament??

good move I think, I will never lay dowm QQ i guess :)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a live deep stack tourney I would fold QQ if I had close to a starting stack 15 mins in.

In an online freeroll I would insta-call.

Had almost same situation happen to me first hand of a $1.10 MTT and I tanked, almost folded then called and he had TT and I doubled up and went on to get 4th in a 600+ player tourney. Probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't take this risk early on.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
May you please mention what position you were in? UTG+1 for me would be a snap fold. Reason being: In Freerolls/Microstakes the opposition is likely to call with suited connectors with 2 allins simply because of value and they feel they have more than a 33% favorite with them (which isn't the case btw, but this is how they analyze their hands). However through the duration of the tourney one will make maximum value in later positions (cuttoff/BTN). I would almost always fold because I know an early double up won't take me very far as I usually need 7.5x the starting stack, I'd be 70% Favourite to make a call giving me 30% chance to make it ITM. Why take these odds if I can have an 85% to win on a turn post flop on another hand. This early in a tourney I have no read on my opponent. For me it's not worth the risk.

I am short on time if anyone would like me to further explain myself I wouldn't mind doing so.

RCtheDabbler

RCtheDabbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you made the right call but just got unlucky.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing to consider is that in freerolls, people will play with nothing to lose (because literally, they have nothing to lose). This can be a good or a bad thing but it does encourage people to play foolishly. One strategy is to avoid doing that in the first 30-45 minutes, or until all the knuckleheads have weeded themselves out of the tourney. Then you can start playing a little more seriously and not be worried some jackwagon going all-in with a 10-3 off and hitting 3-3-10 on the flop and ruining your KK.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing to consider is that in freerolls, people will play with nothing to lose (because literally, they have nothing to lose). This can be a good or a bad thing but it does encourage people to play foolishly. One strategy is to avoid doing that in the first 30-45 minutes, or until all the knuckleheads have weeded themselves out of the tourney. Then you can start playing a little more seriously and not be worried some jackwagon going all-in with a 10-3 off and hitting 3-3-10 on the flop and ruining your KK.

while I do understand what you are saying... I really do....shouldn't the fact that their range is wide open ENCOURAGE us to play our monsters? of course there is no guarantee of winning...but if we are in a heads up situation with the opportunity to double up and have good reason to think we are crushing their range WHY would we pass?

What "better spots" are we looking for? In fact, by "waiting till the donkeys are weeded out" we deny ourselves a chance at their stacks....and they will just stack off to somebody else and now. And when we finally do find our "better spot" it will be against tougher players who are less likely to pay us off.

Yes, I can understand passing with a hand like 99 that still rates to be ahead but is also really vulnerable and a lot more likely to be flipping...but hands like QQ,KK,AA heck...in freerolls even as low as JJ I think you need A LOT of evidence that you are beat preflop to fold these hands...

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you must be realistic when calling an all-in. chances are someone will have AA, or KK; do you really want to run into a brickwall with your QQ? More likely though, the person that is raising you would be on a draw (like AK or AJ). But in reality, you just don't know. So I try to stay away from calling someone else's raise all-in with any pocket pair less than KK. I'll also call, sometimes, with AK, or AQ, but in general i'm not the type of player who likes getting all my chips in before the flop. Even calling with KK preflop has gotten me into a lot of trouble.

Now please note that there is a difference between CALLING and all-in and INITIATING an ALL-IN from late position. I think it is more acceptable to go all in with QQ from late position if YOU are the one intiating the raise (i.e. everyone else has folded or called and you are last or near last to make a betting decision). In that case, people have already made a public comment about their cards: that their cards were not good enough to go all-in with preflop. Of course, there are those who slow play their high pocket pairs when there is an aggressive player at the table so you must be careful with this.

In general, I don't like putting all my chips in before the flop. However, if I am deepstacked and calling an all-in with QQ woudl not take me out of the tournament should it not go my way, then I would probably call the all-in. Those are risks I like taking because they can increase my stack size significantly if I do prevail in the hand and if I don't, well then I will just have taken a hard hit chipwise but NOT be taken out of the tournament altogether.

Your number one goal should be to survive the tournament. calling an all-in and risking your tournament survival doesn't make sense for QQ, and barely makes sense for KK. In fact, there are so many hands that can beat AA that I'm not so sure itw ould be a wise move to regularly do with AA.

If cashing in the tournament is what you are after, then you should find better places that QQ preflop to go all in; for me it is too risky in most cases...