The right move in this situation? (online tourney)

S

slickback97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in late position with 9c 10c. Blinds are 75/150. A guy in mid position raises to 450 with 6d 7d (has about 2100 left in chips) another guy calls in mid position and I call in bb with 9c 10c (I have about 1650 in chips left). Flop is 8c 7c 7s. With about 1400 chips in the pot I shoved my last 1650. He shoves as well and the last guy to act folds. Turn is Kh and river is 4h. Was this the right move for me? We were both relativly short-stacked so I put him on some sort of over cards (maybe AQ). With an open ended str8 flush draw, I don't see what else I could have done. Thoughts?

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your so low like 9bb you should have something better then 9tc I know the other two players didn't have anything much either when your so low any pocket pair, ak, aq, aj seem better. Its also better to shove pre when your so low then take a flop unless your getting it on the flop regardless.

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. This should have been posted in tourney section not general poker.

2. You start your first sentence saying you were in late position, then end it with saying you were the BB.

3. I think the shove here is fine. You have lots of outs from what you put the guy on, you just didn't hit.

S

slickback97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses thus far.

1. I apologize for posting this in the wrong section but this is my first post on this site so I ask you to cut me a little slack.

2. A typo (should have deleted that first sentence)..I'm sure you get the gist..again, cut me some slack.

3. I was getting a lil more than 2 to 1 on a call..9 10c is not a bad hand and is also a hand that I can get some equity with. I think it would be a bad move to shove pre-flop because odds are the original raiser has me crushed. With the blinds rapidly increasing, I was looking for a way to increase my chip stack. But I just got unlucky.

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses thus far.

1. I apologize for posting this in the wrong section but this is my first post on this site so I ask you to cut me a little slack.

2. A typo (should have deleted that first sentence)..I'm sure you get the gist..again, cut me some slack.

3. I was getting a lil more than 2 to 1 on a call..9 10c is not a bad hand and is also a hand that I can get some equity with. I think it would be a bad move to shove pre-flop because odds are the original raiser has me crushed. With the blinds rapidly increasing, I was looking for a way to increase my chip stack. But I just got unlucky.

I didn't notice till after I posted that it was your first post, so that was my mistake. Welcome to CC, it's a great site to learn and get feedback on.
There are worse hands to make a move on and if the guy didn't have a 7 then it most likely would have worked out for you. Just didn't go your way.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More info is really needed, like what stage of the tourney this is. Where is the bubble? ect.

The pot is 1125 when the action gets to you. How you worded it I'm not sure if you have 1650 when you called or if you have 1650 left after the call. I'll assume 1650 after the call, meaning after you posted the blinds you had 1950 in your stack.

The pot as it stands is about 58% of your stack. Your M is right around 9 which doesn't give us any room to play post flop. We know the first caller is probably some what weak due to the fact that he just called the raise, you would expect if he had a hand he would iso raise himself. I would go for a shove here and add the 1k to your stack with the squeeze. You are forcing the opening raiser to have to have a huge hand to call you, due to the fact it's going to cost him almost all of his stack to call you. If he happens to have a huge hand you are more than likely only a 2 to 1 dog with your 9Ts.

------------equity--- win----- tie
Hand 0: 66.934% 66.69% 00.24% { JJ+, AQs+, KQs, AQo+, KQo }
Hand 1: 33.066% 32.82% 00.24% { Tc9c }

-----------equity-----win----- tie
Hand 0: 68.552% 68.34% 00.21% { JJ+, AQs+, AQo+ }
Hand 1: 31.448% 31.23% 00.21% { Tc9c }

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally i'm definately folding pre-flop and waiting for the right cards or at least timing to push or raise.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally i'm definately folding pre-flop and waiting for the right cards or at least timing to push or raise.

This is the perfect spot to shove. What better spot is there going to be where you can add 58% more chips to your stack?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is the perfect spot to shove. What better spot is there going to be where you can add 58% more chips to your stack?

Do you figure he has any fold equity? I mean if a guy is raising that big of % of his stack on a stack size of ~16bb's... if he's raise/folding there he is the shits.
Also, the players flatcall of the raise (if he's an advanced player) would have me worried seeing that he's only flatting in this spot (if stacks were deeper, then yah.. you could shove). What type of hand should be flatting in that spot on stacks this shallow?
BUT.. if the caller is a rook/newb whatever... then his call could look like a weaker hand (he'd have to be pretty bad though imo).

Personally I'd just fold pre & look for another spot to get it in.

OP, you stack is too shallow to consider any postflop play. In most cases you'd just be spewing off chips, which would be dumping any fold equity you might still have (again.. imo).

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one said the guy flatting had a shallow stack. The OP never told us what the buyin was, so I assume no advanced players and a $5 donkament.

You are going to get a fold here at least 30% of the time, if not more. And with the villain showing up with 67 suited raising from MP, I'm guessing he is pretty loose and more likely to fold to a shove due to his range being so wide.

Again, we are forcing the villain to actually have a hand and like I said before if he does call we are only a 2 to 1 dog.

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Maybe it is the perfect position but with the caller i'd be easily swayed towards thinking he was calling me with that size stack, he would have a wide choice of hands he could put me on and in my mind in that position he would call.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop is 8c 7c 7s. With about 1400 chips in the pot I shoved my last 1650.

How you worded it I'm not sure if you have 1650 when you called or if you have 1650 left after the call. I'll assume 1650 after the call, meaning after you posted the blinds you had 1950 in your stack.

TPC, I think you assumed correctly.

To the OP, I figure you have two options. Either you fold pre-flop, or you push all-in and hope that having a caller between you convinces the original bettor to fold (as well as the caller, who probably had AJ - lol). Your stack is a tad small to have this work reliably, even against modest hands (depending on your opponents), many of which will have you dominated (all of which would be favored).

I've made this play many times, even with a higher stack percentage left than you, only to get called by marginal hands, including small pairs, A9-AJ, or KQ. Unfortunately you can't make others fold, just because you'd do so if the roles were reversed. Probably the safest move is to fold preflop and wait for a better spot, unless you have a good read on your opponents and can expect they'll call with only premium hands.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it is the perfect position but with the caller i'd be easily swayed towards thinking he was calling me with that size stack, he would have a wide choice of hands he could put me on and in my mind in that position he would call.

This makes no sense what so ever.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was a terrible call preflop.

Also, if you wanted to play the hand - just 3 bet all in preflop.

At least that way you might get them to fold.

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH, and some might be surprised by this, I think it would be useful to the OP and to others if before you comment on a situation you read all the relevent responses in the thread. This is nothing other than me speaking fact here. TPC has given you facts, numbers, percentages and logic. I think the question has been answered thoroughly by him. Also if your gonna disagree with someone you might wanna back it up with some facts. And if your gonna agree with someone you should say that and not try to repeat exactly what they said a couple posts above yours.

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH, and some might be surprised by this, I think it would be useful to the OP and to others if before you comment on a situation you read all the relevent responses in the thread. This is nothing other than me speaking fact here. TPC has given you facts, numbers, percentages and logic. I think the question has been answered thoroughly by him. Also if your gonna disagree with someone you might wanna back it up with some facts. And if your gonna agree with someone you should say that and not try to repeat exactly what they said a couple posts above yours.

Also aiming at TPC

I joined up to CC believing it was a friendly forum, TPC, that was just not friendly, im really sorry if your opinion is different to mine but you made it that way not me!
Yes, PC69, TPC did and has given us the facts, numbers and %. What does that mean? absolutely nothing if your phil ivey! He does not ever use odds or mathematics or even logic in his game (ask him if you dont believe me!) in fact half the pro's dont, they go on skill, reads and gut alone. Admittedly some pro's only bet/fold due to the odds e.g Phil Gordon. What im trying to say is that people put their Qs on CC for answers, not 1 answer from 1 person which they can find out anyway (facts you see- everyone can find them), the whole point of a forum is for everybodys opinions to be shared. If you don't like my opinion ok thats fair, dont use it!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also aiming at TPC

Why? Read what you said and tell me how it makes any sense. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or was too blunt for you.

Maybe it is the perfect position,
but with the caller...

The caller, just called. He's calling in that spot with a wide range of hands, He has shown no aggression what so ever. The stack we should be concerned about is the first raiser. The OP didn't give us a lot of info to go on, so we had to assume a lot. So you have to assume that in the hand with the opening raiser showing up with 67 suited in MP he is probably pretty loose. Going of that when we decide to squeeze all we have to really worry about it the opening raiser. We just have to hope he isn't at the top of his range and if he is, like I said before we are only a two to one dog in most cases.

...i'd be easily swayed towards thinking he was calling me with that size stack, he would have a wide choice of hands he could put me on and in my mind in that position he would call.

Pretty vague second part of your post. When I first read that I thought you meant the caller would call the shove. But now I think you mean the opening raiser would call. Either way we can't play poker scared. We have just about 10bb left, we need to make a move. In the blinds is a good place to make a move because villains are often raising into you with weaker hands trying to steal the blinds. By shoving, you are forcing them to have a good hand to call you with. So you can win two ways. You shove, everyone folds and you add 58% more chips to your stack or one or both calls and you win the race. I hope you understand in this situation we don't have the chips to really sit and wait around.

I joined up to CC believing it was a friendly forum, TPC, that was just not friendly, im really sorry if your opinion is different to mine but you made it that way not me!

CC is a friendly forum. Sorry if me being so blunt offended you. But you do need to learn not to take things so personal.

Yes, PC69, TPC did and has given us the facts, numbers and %. What does that mean? absolutely nothing if your phil ivey! He does not ever use odds or mathematics or even logic in his game (ask him if you dont believe me!) in fact half the pro's dont, they go on skill, reads and gut alone.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. Heck, isn't there a commercial for full tilt that proves that wrong?

YouTube- The best Phil Ivey Full Tilt Poker commercial

That "skill" you are talking about is knowing the odds and the math and using that to your advantage. It's also knowing your opponent and the situation and knowing if you can get him to fold or if your opponent is trying to make you fold. You can't play every hand with guns blazing trying to make everyone fold or you will be broke in a hurry. But to say that Phil Ivey doesn't use any logic or math is just ridiculous.

Admittedly some pro's only bet/fold due to the odds e.g Phil Gordon. What im trying to say is that people put their Qs on CC for answers, not 1 answer from 1 person which they can find out anyway (facts you see- everyone can find them), the whole point of a forum is for everybodys opinions to be shared. If you don't like my opinion ok thats fair, dont use it!

As PC69 said, (and if you know this forum at all, PC and I don't get along that often), show us why the other side is better. Ok, you think the guy is going to call, that is great. But why is he going to call? Do you think he is going to call because the pot will be 3075 and it's going to cost him 1500 which is almost all of his stack, giving him 2 to 1. Not to mention if he does call He's now giving the original caller 3 to 1 to call, basically pricing him into call. Which means the originally raiser can only call us with a hand at the top of his range and hope the other guy behind us doesn't call when he is being offered 3 to 1. We don't ever know what the callers stack size is in this hand, that would factor into our decision as well. More times that not when you squeeze, if the opening raiser doesn't call, the guy that just called the opening raise isn't going to call either.

We can also go deeper into this if the opening raiser was loose like we assume and the caller did have a hand, why wouldn't he isolate the lose player with a three bet, and play him HU? He would be in position against a loose player with a premium hand, which is exactly what you want. So again, we don't know what the callers stack size was, but he could be calling with suited connectors or a small PP and hoping others just call behind, in hopes to hit a monster flop. The caller never shows any aggression. But again, we would want to know more about this player. Is he tight or loose himself? Has he three bet before or does he not three bet? ect.

Admittedly, this is a tough problem due to the fact the OP didn't give us much information to base decisions off of. So we had to assume a lot. But I told you what my assumptions were and I gave concrete reasoning to why I would do what I would do. Which is all that PC69 was pointing out.

Last edited: