re-entry and rebuy what do you think about it?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too am not a fan of rebuys. I think that it changes the early tournament play. Players knowing they can rebuy can take a lot of risk for doubling up and amassing a chip lead early in the tournament. This type of play forces me to make decisions for a significant amount (or all) of my stack when I may only be slightly ahead. If I bust I don't want to rebuy.
It doesn't change early mtt play that much. What, do you have to fold a few more hands against the quick double up all-ins? Tell me, in a freezeout mtt, do you often find yourself with hands worth calling an all-in during the early levels? Likely not.

And nobody is forcing you to play hands where you're only slightly ahead of a bad players all-in range. You make the decision to play that hand, no matter what the reason. Maybe you want to be table sheriff and bust them out. Maybe it's FOMO seeing all these players go all-in and picking up big pots. Or whatever, you still choose your actions.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like tournaments with rebuys and add-ons, tournaments with re-entries I don't see badly, I think it is counterproductive for the game.
How is it counterproductive? It's still poker, you still play cards against other people, and can win money. Seems like it's as productive as can be.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I avoid these tournaments at all costs. When there’s reentry people tend to play super loose and it’s so much easier to get a bad beat against you. For rebuys, unless you’re willing to do so, you will end up being behind the average stack. I just prefer one shot tournaments where skill is more important.
It's not easier to get a bad beat against you. The probability of you losing x hand vs x hand is still the same, no matter the game format. You need a really good hand to call of all-ins during the early stages when stacks are deep. So, even if you are slightly ahead, calling an all-in for 100+ bbs might not be the best play.

Stop worrying about average stack because it does not matter. Pay attention to your stack size in relation to the stacks on your table. What does it matter if average stack is 40 bbs, and you have 25 bbs. Do you suddenly not have any playability? Is your tournament life over? There is nothing you can do to increase your stack? Of course not. Don't get yourself caught up in things that don't matter.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am on the fence of liking or disliking re-buys and add-ons. I have enough bankroll to do it but when playing a free-buy it doesn't seem like poker until the re-buys are over!!!! I would much rather win my chips than buy them!!!! I play in a private group that has a free;buy Monday - Friday. I usually try not to re-buy but if I do I go with the double re-buy. Most of the time I do the add-on only because I would be less competitive without it. using this method I was at the final table 4 of my last 5 games with 1 win and almost had back to back wins but took second in the game.:D:D
It's still poker. You might have to make adjustments and do things you don't like or don't want to. Maye you have to fold your favorite hand to an all-in when you want to see a flop because you know it's the right decision. Or whatever. But it's still poker. Poker isn't just about getting good hands and winning pots. It's about decision making and making better decisions than your opponent, even if it's hard to do. But once you start understanding that making correct +ev decisions will benefit you more in the long run, it does get easier.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes a re-entry or rebuy is still good, you can sometimes but just be careful. If someone is too angry because they have been knocked out of the tournament then it is better to neglect that tournament.
Otherwise, the fun can be expensive.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the model for two reasons, it increases the prize and players play more "freely" :rolleyes: because of this possibility > rebuy. (but I agree with you that unlimited rebuy tournaments are insane, that particular mtt rebuy model, I don't like it either.)

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you re-enter and rebuy a lot in a tournament and don't get a great result then that's a sign that you should rest your mind and review your plays and relearn how to play because our brains always need a practice before the start.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a big fan of either format. In the rebuys you should probably rebuy immediately and then do the add-on, so you need to have a bigger bankroll to support this format. The re-entrys, I believe are more difficult tourneys....because who re-enters the most usually?.....the better players are probably more likely to re-enter. Overall, I rather play in smaller, faster, tourneys against worse players.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play on Stars play chips at the nosebleed level. It's good to be a baller somewhere!!

One week, a player appeared who I had never seen before, and they did something I have never seen before, or since. Quite an introduction!! hehe

The tournament entry fee was one billion play chips... and it typically gets about 30 players total, with a first place prize of around 6-7 billion play chips... well the very first week I saw this player, they ended up doing SIXTEEN re-entries for a grand total of 17 billion chips (including the initial buy-in). And even worse... they didn't even cash in the tournament. I was astounded to witness it.

I'm sure you're all quite good at math, and hopefully can immediately see the point here - DON'T DO THIS! :D

It is quite rare that I will re-enter, my feeling is that there is always tomorrow... and if I "blow all my funds" in one tournament, then I won't have any for tomorrow's tourney. So I don't allow myself to re-enter. I will make exceptions of course, but it is highly dependent on certain things... if the prize pool is massive but the entry fee is low, then it makes sense to take a second shot if necessary. Usually these are "one-time" events, for example in a Tournament Series like MOSS on ACR. I'm much more likely to re-enter in those, but if it's just your everyday average tournament that runs on a regular schedule, I will almost never re-enter, I will simply wait for tomorrow to try it again.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not care for either format, especially the re-entry that charges an additional entry fee that does not go to the prize pool.

If you play a re-buy, its best to go in with a plan. How many rebuys are you willing to commit and under what circumstances are you willing to rebuy or call it quits. Sometimes you can get unlucky at a weak table and a rebuy can be a good value. Other times you may be at a tough table and better off not continuing. Just don't let tilt make that decision for you. And again, know if you are at a re-entry which will also likely re-seat you.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's still poker. You might have to make adjustments and do things you don't like or don't want to. Maye you have to fold your favorite hand to an all-in when you want to see a flop because you know it's the right decision. Or whatever. But it's still poker. Poker isn't just about getting good hands and winning pots. It's about decision making and making better decisions than your opponent, even if it's hard to do. But once you start understanding that making correct +ev decisions will benefit you more in the long run, it does get easier.
I agree!!!! I do make the adjustment!!! I do quite well in these games even when I don't re-buy or add on. In the ACR free-buy $25,000 I did no re-buys or add-on and finished 97th out of over 4500 players for a prize of $25. It just gets old when the players with BIG bankrolls simply play bingo no matter how many times you knock them out!!!!!!:D:D

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jason Bralli. I play in those type MTTs, because I use the rebuy, which I do from the start, as an advantage over players that can't make a rebuy. However, I have this rule. If I don't make it to the add on stage, then I'm out. I see players rebuying 5+ times and all I think of is that they are adding to the prize pool, and they will have to at least get to the final table in order to get their money back. GL to you

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not easier to get a bad beat against you. The probability of you losing x hand vs x hand is still the same, no matter the game format. You need a really good hand to call of all-ins during the early stages when stacks are deep. So, even if you are slightly ahead, calling an all-in for 100+ bbs might not be the best play.

Stop worrying about average stack because it does not matter. Pay attention to your stack size in relation to the stacks on your table. What does it matter if average stack is 40 bbs, and you have 25 bbs. Do you suddenly not have any playability? Is your tournament life over? There is nothing you can do to increase your stack? Of course not. Don't get yourself caught up in things that don't matter.

Yes your stack matters vs average stack. If you are the shortest stack at the table you have less room to make plays. If you get into a monster pot and lose, then your tournament is over vs still having chips.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes your stack matters vs average stack. If you are the shortest stack at the table you have less room to make plays. If you get into a monster pot and lose, then your tournament is over vs still having chips.

Not if its a R+A event, because then you can also just rebuy, like the other players did. Or in most cases even dubble rebuy, since the typical rule is, you can rebuy as soon, as you have below the starting stack. So its just a question of understanding, what kind of game you are signing up for.

I will say though, that if you are only prepered to fire a single bullet, then R+A events are not a good choise. But if you are only prepared to fire a single bullet, thats kind of like saying, you are not properly bankrolled. And in that case the real problem is the lack of bankroll management rather than playing a R+A. If for instance you normally play up to 5,5$ MTTs, then with R+As you should only play up to 2,2$ events, so that you have money for some rebuys and add-ons as well as the initial starting fee.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And nobody is forcing you to play hands where you're only slightly ahead of a bad players all-in range. You make the decision to play that hand, no matter what the reason. Maybe you want to be table sheriff and bust them out. Maybe it's FOMO seeing all these players go all-in and picking up big pots. Or whatever, you still choose your actions.

This is really good advice to everyone, who hate wild and loose play. Just because other players are out of line, does not mean, we need to go out of line as well. It is allowed to stick to fundamentally sound poker and our standard stack-off ranges for a certain stack depth. Sometimes this will result in us folding the best hand, when 2-3 goofballs have already moved all-in with random hands. But thats ok. Our goal in poker is not to never get bluffed.

J

Jonhop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
SE
Chips
Rebuy tournaments encourage large teams of players to form. They dump chips to their go to players. They corrupt floor people. They corrupt dealers. I personally know of a very large team of over a 100 players that has made millions and they continue to grow! You will never catch this team playing in a freeze out tournament. There is no advantage for them in single buy- in tournament. They wait to the very last minutes of the rebuy or entry deadline and flood a couple tables with their team members and dump their chips to their go to players. In those few minutes their go to players magically are right there in the pack of chip leaders!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that it depends on the stage of the tournament and the number of blinds relative to the average stack, and especially if your stack grows by 20 percent or more

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think re-entry, ribeye and late tournament registration aren't fair. Not everyone can afford to take part in the tournament again.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I am used to playing tournaments without rebuys and re entries so I stick to that.I think it is easier to know that when I knock a player out or empty his stack the player is out of the tournament and can not reappear at the table.

ms_attack

ms_attack

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm not a fan of rebuys and reentries, I like the classic tournaments more, like the CC freerolls. No long latereg and when you're out, you're out. Otherwise I think there's too much gambled and the participants play far too many bad hands.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m not a fan of rebuys or re-entry tournaments. It gives players a chance to play bingo rather than respect the cards/chips they have in front of them. You see donkeys shove all in with garbage until the add-on period begins- all the time!! Lol

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like tournaments with unlimited re-entry, some players just want to go all in to increase their chips with any card. I agree with you, some people can lose their bankroll wanting to make re-entries.