To raise or limp?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've adapted the "never limp rule". And have adjusted my ranges accordingly. With that said I fold 44- in middle positions, and 66- in early possitions. This allows me to play much wider in the blinds, and set hunt with low pocket pairs with Position....

If I'm in the blind I'm calling almost every limp in the SB, and calling multiway pots in the BB with a very polerized range. By getting away from most of my range early position this allows me to play a lot more hands in the blinds. This improves your pot odds, and even though out of position most the time. Disguises your range, and sets up for a lot of traps against aggressive players that like to steal from late position.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better is raise. There is some specific situations when limp is ok, when some players limping before You, than limp is okay move for set mining because You don't want to build pot in multi :)

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the stack, on the size of the blinds, on the table 6-max or 9-max, on the position, but it is better of course always go at least a mini raise, although I sometimes with a small pair or connectors from an early position go limp, and then look at the game, but if the stack allows

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the stack, on the size of the blinds, on the table 6-max or 9-max, on the position, but it is better of course always go at least a mini raise, although I sometimes with a small pair or connectors from an early position go limp, and then look at the game, but if the stack allows
Depends what site you're playing on too! One in particular I'd say fold the Kings and shove all in with the rags! It works for everyone else there!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the position and playing opponents...

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depend off the stage off tourney ...for me in early stage i fold most of the small pair

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While playing small pocket pairs can be rewarding, remember that many positive elements need to fall into place and that parlay of events is not exactly a common occurrence. So i recommend you to limp.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To raise or limp?
Preflop, is it better to raise or limp with small pocket pairs and suited connectors?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends what site you're playing on too! One in particular I'd say fold the Kings and shove all in with the rags! It works for everyone else there!
The kings on any website is a kings )), and so true, the level of players at different sites are different, if you compare large and small rooms, but still I stand by my opinions regarding the game, the difference of the game may depend on the number of players in the tournament, well, a little bit of the amount of buy-in )))))

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the games I play, it's very difficult to limp except occasionally from the blinds. So, I always raise if I'm going to play a hand. I find that as long as I stick with a good range, it works well since my hand is disguised. So, even if I'm raising in middle position with something like 77, I can still c-bet a flop that has face cards. Obviously, this changes if somebody has already acted in front of me. Maybe it's easier to limp in micro stakes games or free rolls, but not in the games I play. All it does is alert the other players that you have a mediocre hand and invites a big raise.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lots of good advice already...

I would add that the question might be do you want to play them at all on any given hand?

when yes:
vs bad players
when you are deepstacked
beg. of MTT (at the end you shove with them if short stacked)
when you are in position (this is the most important because it is only when you are in position that you will be able to extract enough from your opponent to make the play worthwhile)
with an eye toward semi-bluffing (you must be able to win even when you miss the flop)

When No:
middle of MTT when you have between 8-14 BB, better to save chips for double up and it is too early to shove with 10-14 BB
when you are playing vs tight smart players
when you arent getting enough of a read to be able to semi-bluff properly

just some thoughts, hope that gives you a new insight maybe

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play limp, with any cards. I think that a better option is to raise it irrelevant whether it's a small pair or a stronger card. They need to have their own style and always raise. It all depends on the situation at the table and there are still many factors, but my recommendation is to raise always in such situations.

R

RB89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, is it better to raise or limp with small pocket pairs and suited connectors?

This is all dependent upon position / chip stacks etc. I would always raise it up with 55+ and fold to 3-bets with 55-99 and call with 10+. and limp fold with 22-44 and suited connections. Again entirely dependent on situation and position.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a little on how the villains are playing and my position but generally I try to limp and see the flop .

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Small raise. If you don't connect go away.

FerSilva8100

FerSilva8100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play these hands in the late position, which does not prevent me from making small bets in the early positions and deciding in the flop the best way to play.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely try to play limp, according to the TAG strategy it is better to play a raise, more profitable at a distance. But if you have problems with postflop small pocket pairs, it is better not to play them at all preflop.