Punishment for sit out players in tournaments?

Punishment for sit out players in tournaments?

• Total voters
nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I dont see why its a problem if you pay the tournent you can do whatever u want if dont break any rules maybe people have to go out or someone come to house or lot of things can make people sit out. he is losing chips for not playing thats more than enought

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it changes table dynamics with sit outers regardless whether it is a 6 or 9 max table.
Some players tend to play extremely aggressive with any holding to get those "free chips".
It harms normal play.
So this is related to the commonly heard complaint, that there is to much wild gambling in freerolls or microstakes games. People go all-in preflop with random hands, and it "ruins the game". Well first off as many have said, you need to accept, that others can play, in whichever way they want, as long as its not against the rules (like collusion etc.). And second WYPIWYG (What You Pay Is What You Get). So if you are playing for fun and think, its more fun to play in a game, where most people take it serious and try to play well, then forget about freerolls or penny games and play for instance $11 MTTs instead. Yes this will likely cost you some money, until you potentially become a winning player in $11 MTTs. But many other hobbys also cost money, so why is that a problem? You can give yourself a budget of for instance $100 per month and then go from there.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think about it?
Sit out from the start to a push and fold stack size is not a fair move, in my opinion.
A poll and a discussion since sit out players esp. in online poker tournaments are annoying.
My ideas to punish them and with that punishment get them earlier out of the tournament.
Players that sit out, or better non players, have to bring in the double big blind regardless if it's their turn to play or not.
This makes the pot more attractive to the actual players.
Will give more action and will eliminate notorious sit outers earlier.
I know this is a deep cut into the general poker tournament rules.
But in online tournaments, they can gather round for round information without risking very much of their stack.
You cannot know the reasons why a player is not at the table. There are different situations. My electricity is often cut off due to missile strikes by russian troops. You propose to punish players without knowing the real reasons for their absence. And in general, in my opinion, it is everyone's personal business how to play, when to play or not to play. Your suggestions for punishment are not quite adequate.

S

stank12345

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No big deal let someone sit out in the long run it won't make a difference

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I clicked don't mind because the OP needed to have another option of 'with good reason' or something similar.
Fashionable sitting out, should have the player removed, at least after a time limit of 30mins perhaps?
The good reason, is as others have said; lost connection, etc....
I will say that players who are marked sitting out in TEAM leagues consistently, should be punished by only being put in a team next season, with like minded players. That way, this practice doesn't get in the way of other team members efforts as a whole.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not in my opinion. The beauty of the individual league was your being able to play at your convenience. The seasonal league places you on a team, and you are expected to play on a certain day and time. That means you have a responsibility to be there for the team during the thirteen or whatever number of weeks it is.
I agree with you Emily. It matters when you are playing in a league, because of the points process.
In this situation, I am fully for some kind of penalty towards such player(s)
I think 3 times absence for emergencies, work etc....after that, it's just mickey taking imo.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How would you propose the 'sitters' be punished?

Whether it's a freeroll or a real money game, we cannot enforce anything. Like @Andyreas stated, long gone are the days of removing sitters after the first two levels so, we must work around this issue the way it stands now, regardless if it is a CardsChat tournament or not. I'm sure it is annoying (you are not alone) however, this is a part of online poker even if we don't like it.
Perhaps 'known' sit outs, particularly in Team league games, is something that could be addressed from the organisers? For instance you sign up for 13 week league, KNOWING you will be on holiday for at least 3,4 weeks of those.
You've registered ahead of time, so you will be viewed as sitting out to your team. Not everyone lets the Captain know their plans, because we are all individuals that don't necessarily practice CC good housekeeping.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
I think this is absolute nonsense :)
You want to punish the players, despite the fact that each of us has the right to choose for ourselves how and when to play. Do you really think that someone can agree to this?

UnderDawg5501

UnderDawg5501

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I don't see any reason to punish someone who is tossing blinds away. What difference does it make to you aside from less competition? At the end of the day, if its a winning strategy (why else would you complain) then simply fold every hand yourself, same thing.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not agree with any punishment, a player can be absent for many reasons and some of those reasons may be due to circumstances that cannot be controlled, for example: a sudden power outage in the area where the player lives, medical/family emergencies , problems with the internet connection, I have had many of those problems and it is not my fault, they are things that happen and sometimes there is no way to solve them, I think people become very obsessed with the absent

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Dear author of this post, I think this topic is inappropriate. Because you don't know why a player doesn't participate in the tournament. Let's say the lights were turned off or the Internet disappeared, maybe you even sat with the phone at work and called for a fire, and what should you do with such players and discipline them? For what? Anything in life can happen, so don't judge for yourself and don't be selfish, it's their right not to play at first, play with people who are online, on the contrary, it's good that these players come into play late, their hands are the most readable. Regular players play card chat tournaments and their range of hands is generally more or less readable.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The player paid to enter the tournament and it is his right to play or not!!!

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Я думаю, что ваша идея смехотворна. Игроки, у которых истекает тайм-аут (я думаю, это то, что вы имели в виду в своей викторине), имеют все основания для этого. Это часть игры. Это тактика игрока. По той же логике накажем рыб, которые звонят условным 72. У каждого игрока своя стратегия на ту или иную игру: кому-то нужно только выиграть турнир и он готов вдавить пузырь, а другому игроку не хватает условного 1$, чтобы вывести деньги, которые ему нужны только на покупку еды. (н):неуверенный::сумасшедший:
I absolutely agree.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do hate sit outs but its just part of the game. This is also why I hate seeing regisrations to far in advance being allowed. To many players sign up early in case they can play and some may not really tthink they will play but if its a CC freroll it dont cost them. Can we punish they? I don't really believe we can, One way to stop it is probaly going to be an issue for many as well as some do sign up run to a store and jump in quicky a level or too in si if registration was ony 10 Minuts priot to the start they could miss out if there is no late registration.

_L0ntana

_L0ntana

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Podría haber una razón simple por la que los jugadores no participan en un juego. Lo primero que me viene a la mente es la conexión a Internet. Yo mismo he perdido la conexión muchas veces en el pasado y si crees que es molesto para los demás jugadores, ¿qué pasa con los jugadores? que no pueden volver al juego por algo que escapa a su control.
Los cortes de energía también me han afectado en algunos juegos, otras veces he tenido una emergencia familiar y he tenido que sentarme para responder, ¡la vida no se detiene porque estás jugando al poker!
Dame una mesa con 8 asistentes y con gusto tomaré sus fichas, si es por algo que escapa a su control o eligen hacerlo, entonces esa es su decisión, pero solo porque algún jugador se impacienta porque tiene que esperar la Es ridículo que el banco de tiempo se agote. La paciencia es parte de jugar al póquer y si no puedes esperar a que salgan, ¡aprende a ser más paciente!
Totally in accordance with your previous reasoning, I suffer from it myself, I don't think we're the exception, my Internet connection is lost and on many occasions (every day) I suffer from electrical blackouts.

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dont think punishing sit outer would be a great idea :x its pretty normal

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you entered the tournament, paid for the money or you did something to participate in this tournament correctly, you play the way you want and you want, you can even go to the whole tournament and come later you know there is no punishment for this such rules of the game, we're not saying that someone wins with bad cards and now let's take them out of the game too:)

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't think punishing players who are absent from a tournament is a good idea.
The reasons for absence can be different and do not always depend on the player himself.
This happened in my case on 09/09/23 in the monthly freeroll of $1000.
I'm currently on vacation in another country and I completely lack the ability to play from my laptop. pokerstars disabled my account and the ability to play for money in both tournaments and cash games. Even freerolls are not available to play, including those in which I was registered individually through Cardschat. The support service explains this by saying that as long as I am not in the country where my account was registered, I do not have the right to play.
So I personally don't support the idea of punishing absent players...

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think online players shouldnt be able to play a hand if they werent present when the hand was dealt to all the players preflop. for example if you are in cutoff, and utg and utg +1 folds and then you join the hand then you shouldnt be able to play the hand, in fact poker sites should auto muck sitting out players preflop hands from the start( unless they were disconnected at the start of the hand) to avoid sitting out players gain an unfair advantage over the rest of the players.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
To be honest, I do not understand the problem and the question discussed here seems quite strange. On the contrary, I am not against the fact that even all my opponents at the table were in a sitout and I took the main prize :)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Perhaps 'known' sit outs, particularly in Team league games, is something that could be addressed from the organisers? For instance you sign up for 13 week league, KNOWING you will be on holiday for at least 3,4 weeks of those.
You've registered ahead of time, so you will be viewed as sitting out to your team. Not everyone lets the Captain know their plans, because we are all individuals that don't necessarily practice CC good housekeeping.
As one of the Team League help, this topic is not new for us at all...we do know how annoying and frustrating it can be to teammates when there are consistent sitters but hope that this doesn't happen that often. Unfortunately, we have yet to find a good solution. However, if you have any thoughts or ideas on how to solve the problem of sitters, please let us know. We can't force people to share their future plans or their intentions of playing the Team League(s) but it is definitely appreciated when plans are shared out of courtesy before we begin the draft.