Profitability in micro tournaments

L

lucasribeiro85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello i'm new here, What are the best strategies to start being profitable in micro tournaments?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hello i'm new here, What are the best strategies to start being profitable in micro tournaments?
Welcome to Cardschat Lucas,
Knowing the basics will carry you long way in the smallest stakes. Trying anything too fancy in micros is a bad idea.

Have you checked our own free poker course?
This course teaches the basics and you can go through it at your own pace.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best strategy I think is to pay small to see the flop and take it from there. Be ready to fold alot and be sure that sure that you are able to risk what you are betting. If your opponent can take you out than maybe you should play him till, he is feeling weak. Good Luck.

L

lucasribeiro85

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat Lucas,
Knowing the basics will carry you long way in the smallest stakes. Trying anything too fancy in micros is a bad idea.

Have you checked our own free poker course?
This course teaches the basics and you can go through it at your own pace.
Thank you nafor, I'm going to start studying the course, I know I have a long journey of training and studies ahead of me but I want to make a living from poker

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you need to learn to train take a 30-day course in our community, gain knowledge then learn and try to improve yours, then go to poker school where you will be taught, or find materials on the Internet and try to learn on your own every day When playing poker, you need to learn not to be lazy after playing poker, practice 30 minutes or 1 hour to sort out your hands

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Other than taking the course the best advice is to keep it simple and dont be afraid to give up on marginal spots at least for now. Lets say there is a small 2,2BB open from EP, HJ, CO and BTN all call, and you look down on K6 offsuit in BB. Here its tempting to toss in the extra 1,2BB to get a chance of winning a pot of around 12,5 BB. But the better decision is to simply fold rather than joining a multiway pot out of position with a really bad hand, that will put you into a lot of tough and unprofitable spots postflop, when you connect with the board.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Study the game and try to explore your opponents, in micros the technical level of the players is very bad! So trying to evolve and exploit your opponents is the best strategy.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Play by hand, don't try to win every pot. It's better to fold cards that you don't like on the preflop than to make a limp.

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait for the big starting hand in the perfect position and shove your chips in the pot ! Good luck .

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Obviously, study is necessary to evolve. Cardschat's 30-day course is an excellent introduction to the current world of poker...
You can start there and you won't regret it. Furthermore, as your journey progresses you will know which points to attack to improve.

Still, I believe that the greatest weapon for beginners is patience.
Waiting for good hands in privileged positions and the good old basics well done will probably make you a profitable player.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , I learn so much just from reading everyone's comments :)
I'd say the length of the mtt is important, factor this into your strategy before entering.
for some long mtt I have a simple idea
1.keep trying to play until the next break, get through one break till the next break and so on.
2.Be attentive and study rivals style and patterns
3.Be attentive to stack sizes/blinds and always try to keep "healthy", possibly steal upto 20% of your winning pots.
4.I've always felt you need to get lucky at least once to run deep, maybe twice to make FT , so sometimes you may be
need to get lucky , if I knew how to make that happen on demand I would :p
5.Have fun and know that you're a "machine designed to cash" jokes ;) , that's just my idea of fun, win win trap trap boooooooommmm .

koalapanda

koalapanda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
ID
Chips
(y)(y)(y)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are a lot of overly aggressive players playing at the micro-limits, when playing with whom you don’t need to show much aggression because they themselves play overly aggressively and at the same time make a lot of mistakes, they themselves will give you their chips, just take advantage of their mistakes!!! Don't try to bluff, play the card!!!When playing micro-stakes tournaments, you should remember that, as in any tournament, there are stages of the tournament: the early stage, the middle stage and the late stage, and all these stages require different opening ranges and different bet sizes!!! The bet size should be adjusted during the game and should depend on how aggressive or passive your opponent is playing!!!

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
All the best for achieving your goals!
, I'm going to start studying the course, I know I have a long journey of training and studies ahead of me but I want to make a living from poker
CC's course is the best way to start 👍🏼
I also recommend you create a Replaypoker account so you can participate in CC community games. For now you're eligible for the Bronze games there :)

O

Omaha_53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
The difference between winners and losers in poker almost ALWAYS comes down to one skill = bankroll management.
No matter what level you're playing at, mismanaging your roll will kill you, while managing it well will save you.

Playing style is very nearly irrelevant altogether. Almost any type of player can be made profitable if their buy-in approach is solid.
Ignore all the "play this way" comments, and just learn how to manage your bankroll in a way that never allows you to go broke.
Unless you're starting with under $50, this is easily doable in most online rooms.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The difference between winners and losers in poker almost ALWAYS comes down to one skill = bankroll management.
No matter what level you're playing at, mismanaging your roll will kill you, while managing it well will save you.

Playing style is very nearly irrelevant altogether. Almost any type of player can be made profitable if their buy-in approach is solid.
Ignore all the "play this way" comments, and just learn how to manage your bankroll in a way that never allows you to go broke.
Unless you're starting with under $50, this is easily doable in most online rooms.
I both agree and disagree. For sure bankroll management is crucial to have any chance of long term success. A bit like you cant be a safe driver without maintaining your car. But maintaining your car is not enough in itself to make you a safe driver. If you drive intoxicated at 2 times the speed limit, it will still be unsafe even in a perfectly maintained car. And in the same fashion bankroll management in itself will not make you a winning poker player. If you are using really bad strategies, "bankroll management" will only determine, how long it takes to lose your money :)

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
it can be profitable but the earnings are to low

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Micro limit tournaments are filled with inexperienced and novice players. There are more than enough amateur players here. The large playing fields and unusually wild action that are the norm in these competitions can be frustrating for the new poker player.In short, try to bet when you have the best hands, and stop betting when you have the worst hands!

O

Omaha_53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I both agree and disagree. For sure bankroll management is crucial to have any chance of long term success. A bit like you cant be a safe driver without maintaining your car. But maintaining your car is not enough in itself to make you a safe driver. If you drive intoxicated at 2 times the speed limit, it will still be unsafe even in a perfectly maintained car. And in the same fashion bankroll management in itself will not make you a winning poker player. If you are using really bad strategies, "bankroll management" will only determine, how long it takes to lose your money :)
That comparison is flawed, though. Variables applied unequally.

My core statement was "bankroll management is the main thing that separates winners from losers".
It was not "bankroll management is the main thing that separates losers from even bigger losers".

In other words, bankroll management separates winners from losers to a much greater extent than playing style does.
In the way I meant it, that statement assumes a basic knowledge of game mechanics, hand rankings, etc.,
But it actually doesn't have to...

Last year, I successfully live-tested a bankroll strategy based entirely on shoving blind at the first opportunity, on every hand.
The only variables I allowed myself were related to game selection and playing time, with playing time almost always being a single-digit number of hands. I would certainly argue that blind shoving at every opportunity would normally qualify as a "bad strategy". It was only a 5-week sample (perhaps 120 games played), but the experiment finished in the green, and was only in the red for 9 days out of the 5 weeks.

Obviously that's not a sample size you'd want to risk your life on, but given the extreme parameters of the playing style I imposed on myself, I think it's more than enough for proof of concept. I used this experiment to demonstrate the importance of bankroll management to the players I stake - especially those with good poker instincts, but who also have terrible self-management skills.
This was done too recently to show an impact yet, and it was combined with other lessons/examples, but I've had a few players tell me that the extreme nature of the playing style I used helped them cut their losing days down, with one guy saying it "lit a fire under him" because he was embarrassed to realize "a blind-shoving monkey has a better ROI than me".

Food for thought...

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Taking notes on your opponents helps a lot in your decisions. In all buy-in ranges, it is important to apply range concepts, reduce the effects of variance and not play outside your ABI.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Small ball stategy, playing tight and cautiosly. Have in mind that in micros most of the player plays "honest" poker, so theres no much bluffs. Good luck at tables, i hope i did manage to help you a bit. And yeah, if you dont know basics about poker, learn pot odds at first, it will help you a lot in beging.