Preflop Raise Sizings in MTT with Ante

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me start that a big factor will be the stage of the tournament and M-Ratio of your stack and of others.

Also, I'm a cash game player wandering into the realm of MTTs :icon_scra. With that out of the way.

General practice in MTTs is to open-raise for 2.5x BBs, to conserve precious chips. Early in the tourney when deep the OR would be 3xbb or even 4bb, which is very similar to Cash games.

I was messing about a little with the maths and found out interesting facts.

When the pot is unopened (not limped) 2.5bb bet is very effective when no ante present. Giving to the next caller only 1.6:1. 3bb bet would give 1.5:1. To give you perspective, when you 3bet someone 3x their raise you're giving them 2.25:1. If you 3bet them by pot, you're giving them 2:1. So my conclusion is that 2.5x is really a decent bet. But that is vs 1 person. If we open early, we might get a few (too many) callers thus needing a stronger detterent at times. But that's not what I want to discuss right now.

Things get interesting when ante is introduced. Say the Dealer pays ante equal to BB. Our 3bb bet now gives 1.83:1. Our 2.5bb bet gives 2:1. Still okay. Now let's have a look when the pot has 1 limper and we raise:
  • No Ante 4bb gives limper 2.16:1
  • No Ante 3.5bb gives 2.4:1
  • Ante 4bb raise 2.5:1
  • Ante 3.5bb raise 2.8:1
So Ante and 1 limper make quite a big change. Even without the Ante, the 3.5bb raise vs one limper starts to be weak and enticing to other players.

Wouldn't it be better to raise the pot vs limper (or more limpers) and give him/them 2:1? Especially if ante's involved from the start of the tournament. They get juicy odds! Againts our EP and MP opening range.

Another example. We're on the button. Game with Ante. EP, EP1, MP, MP1 all call. We raise standard 2.5bb+4bbs for limpers. Giving them 2.36:1. Isn't it better to raise the pot and give them 2:1?

I understand that there's certain point when stacks start becoming really shallow and weak drawing hands will start to lose their imply odds, probably below M-30 or 30.

Was wondering what your thoughts are...