Are Power Path Steps tournaments more influenced by luck or skill?

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Personally, I don't like this type of tournament and I only play when I win a ticket.

The blinds increase rapidly, putting everyone under pressure from good cards, that sometimes don't arrive, who receive good hands are favored by luck and we know that sometimes this doesn't happen for several rounds.

So the question is: you like this type of tournament or believe that it is a big lottery, what is your opinion?

Last edited:
yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Power Path steps tournaments are more influenced by luck than skills , This tournaments are really hard especially step 3 and 4, One wrong movement and you are out , the problem is The blinds increase rapidly and there is a lot of random players.

joan moreno

joan moreno

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it depends both on luck and on the player's skill, you have to understand that variance affects all players, not just you, you have to face it.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't like such tournaments either and I play them only when I win a ticket. I don't think it's a lottery, of course luck decides a lot in such tournaments, but not everything, our skills and experience also matter.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it’s luck, of course, but if you’re lucky and have filled your stack, then you can play more thoughtfully!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Want to play the European Poker Tour (EPT) and the flagship online tournaments on pokerstars. This is your chance to show off your skills. By playing in Power Path tournaments, you will be able to qualify for the largest live and online tournaments. Luck is always needed, as is skill.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is a big lottery to play poker tournament with this structure

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
fast-structured satellite play. Learn how to adjust.
So many terrible players in these games should make it easier to win but you will also run into the "WTF was he thinking? How does he call with that?"

So many players in these do not adjust and play them as if it's a regular tournament and thinking that acquiring a big stack is their main objective. You don't need to win all of the chips in a satellite.... you only need to have enough that you're still in the game.

Ideally you want to maintain a stack that has a bit of fold equity for the times you'll need to 'push' to pick up the blinds.
Lots of calculations as you near the bubble. Watch some of the other tables. Calculate what the blinds will be when they go through you & if you'll have enough chips to survive the round. Pick your spots to shove > > Observe other players... mark those who seem to be ICM-dumb (ie. calling off too wide, risking off a big % of their stack while sitting on a stack that doesn't even need to be involved in a hand at all).

I've managed to win 3x $109 tickets in this and haven't invested much time in it at all. I sure would like to get another $109 ticket... soon!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I lose it's because of luck & when I win... well that's because of SKILL.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, they don't depend on luck, it's just that there's more variance and you just can't wait for a strong good hand and lose nothing you didn't even do in the game just hope you double your luck and be able to play poker already, and if not, you'll just lose, the main thing is hoping for the best in poker

hexplore35

hexplore35

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I like power path tournaments ,you need both to win tickets and fold on bubble :)

Mr_Cloud

Mr_Cloud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I think it depends both on luck and on the player's skill, you have to understand that variance affects all players, not just you, you have to face it.
Couldn't agree more, I can take them or leave them.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
deferent level of difficulty for sure , unexpectedly it is becoming far too difficult when you go to the 11$ games , many bad beats .

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I got to the $109 level a couple of times. Both times I used tickets in Sunday Million , but didn't get to the ITM.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Players are more aggressive .That's is raisonable games blinds increasing faster so maybe you need luck more to these games

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like this type of tournament, it is faster, it doesn't last too much. I think that it is fast but in balance it has only three players, or a few more. It is like a big tournament in the last stages.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello. I used to think that such tournaments were a good idea, but lately, I have reconsidered my attitude. I don't play in them as often anymore, only because there are no entry fees, and there is a chance to win a ticket, albeit a minimal one. Skills, I believe, are necessary for playing in this format, but it mostly depends on luck.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
These games (Satellites) are extremely good value and the skill level is very low, making them an ideal way to try to win a $109 ticket. You won't find any easier path to a $109 ticket anywhere on the internet (unless someone just gifts it to you (which is almost what these are).

To learn more about satellite player, check out Dara O'Kearney's book 'Poker Satellite Strategy'

ScreenHunter 17065

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are tournaments where the blinds are short, so you have to expose yourself more and make more 3-lights, make more flat calls in position against the villain, in general you have to have more luck and more skill too.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
a lot depends on luck, you can play)) considering that this is a ticket to the tournament and the rake is also raised for it)) if you are lucky with the cards, you will go to the next level, if you are not lucky, you will finish the tournament and in fact you will not lose anything.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am sure that in any tournament, even such a fast one as Power Path Steps, skill is of key importance!!!!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Luck and RNG . Definitely . Skill is not even secondary to luck at these games. Variance or bad beats are crazy , especially the higher the power path level game you play .

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think playing in this type of tournament is the same as playing the lottery. At least they give you the chance to enter a bigger tournament.