Poker Satellite Tournament Guide: Everything you need to know

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually I don't play a lot of satellites, because I DO think you should be rolled for the buy in as I set the buy in somehow in relation to the skill level of players. And as you don't see ROI until you win 1-? tourneys more, I haven't tried it a lot. But I'm a great fan of these steps things as the 1cts on 888 and the greatest is the free VENOM on ACR. I always try to grab this extra money, but they'll always give me a ticket :aetsch: Until step 5 I make 6th place of 5 paid ..
I'll keep on trying, but if anybody knows other satellites that are really worth trying, I'd be glad to see them posted here.
Besides this a great article!!!

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that this article can be adjusted with info about hands range for different stacks and positions.
- How to play with 5bb stack during the bubble and how to play with 10bb or 20+ ?
- How to play with A7os with less than 10bb stack at BB with 20 players left till the money?

Players want to see more of this:

shc01.png

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting article. I would like to hear from the players, is there any point in this? After all, if I win a ticket in a satellite tournament, then I will have to play with more experienced players. Who was able to win a ticket in the satellite and make a profit in the target tournament? I would risk
because in tournaments with 1000 or more players it is very difficult and such tournaments take a very long time, which is inconvenient for me.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
satellites have gained me many entries into bigger tourneys, i have found the hyper ones can lose you money faster but but if played properly will win a ticket easier and in way less time
Other sattys can often wear you out by playing for 2 hours ,winning your tic and then being entered into the main game already running. makes for a long day

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone who has decided to take a few shots at getting into the Sunday Million, I do agree that satellite poker is not a profitable venture. They play differently, they payout differently, and they generally do not pay out to the top 15% - it's more like the top 10% or less. Say for example a $22 satellite into the Million required 11 players for one ticket. Even worse are the $11 satellites that double this.

So if you are skilled at poker that is not as much skill as you are lucky, then this could be a cheaper option for you. But ultimately I agree that satellites are not worth the price of admission.

And I wholeheartedly agree that this is the one scenario that folding pocket aces preflop makes sense. If you are 9th out of 10, you want 10 to bust. You may have to fold AA to ladder one spot up to get into the money. It seems stupid, but you're better off shoving crap than calling with AA.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I really like to play 888 Poker satellite step tournament.
Most time I begin with step 1 : $0.01
I won some $30 and $55 ticket with those satellites.

Never I will pay $30 or $55 to get an entry.
Step by step I can reach bigger tournament :)

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
These are nothing more than luck contests and should be avoided at all costs, unless you have money to burn and time to waste.

This is the one statement that Everyone should pay attention to ! I believe poker can be a lucrative career , and tournaments can be very profitable. But I think it takes a special kind of control to play them.
These players have a lot more determination then I have or stamina - whatever it takes to spend hours, days to play.
Kudos to them.

Time is the big thing here is time , and that is an issue for me most of the time. Maybe if I was in a live game and not at home where there so many distractions I could do better.

Strategy for any tournament , I agree you need to adjust your methods and if you start playing to aggressive you will find yourself low in chips to early and if you play to tight - then you will end up being eaten alive by the blinds ... so you really need to pay attention when starting these tournys.

Then the thing you need is LUCK . So good luck to tourny players as it seems that every hand is like a lottery .

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself really enjoy the Venom freeroll tournaments at ACR. The step ones are played 6 times a day at 3, 7, 11 a.m. and p.m. Central time. I played one day for like 7 to 8 hours straight and ended with a ticket to play in the final satellite to get a ticket for the main event. The satellites kept forcing me into the next rounds until I got to the final satellite. I have not played my ticket as of yet. They don't force you into the next satellites anymore. They have changed the way the structure is set up. I prefer it this way. Best tip I can give you on those style tournaments is to survive. Pick and choose yours spots wisely and see if you can take out weaker players and build your stack up high enough that you don't have to play another hand in this tournament to win the ticket and just start milking the clock. I have seen a lot of players who were a shoe in to get a ticket and let their ego get the best of them and got eliminated from the tournament. Happens all the time. Now in tournaments where everybody is not given the same reward than using the clock is not really the best road to travel at that juncture.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the bit about folding ACES pre flop.

I bet there are loads of players sitting there reading this going...NOOOOOOOOOO, i simply cannot do that. And others that say they can, but when push comes to shove, they shove....and get beat by 94o hitting two pair on the board. BANG...their satellite life has gone.

It really is about weighing up the cost and benefit of your actions, and especially in relation to how many satellites you play before you start losing. I like that aspect of this advice as it really does focus your attention on cost.

Great Article...now go and play some satellites and see how you get on and how far you can get.

Good luck

BB
When I began play poker some years ago I took part in satellite tournament in iPoker net.
The prize pool was a few tickets for the Mine Event, each worth $1500. On the bubble, I get a QQ on the button, a SB villain with a stack just like me, on the BB a short stack. Before me, everyone folds, I go allin in order to pick up the blinds.
To my surprise, SB also goes allin. BB fold, SB opens AA. I'm flying out on the bubble.
Thinking over the situation later, I came to the conclusion that I made a mistake myself, but also villain. Today, in his place, I would have fold pocket AA.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, I came to all this myself. Here’s how I don’t have the desire to read articles. I’ve read it but didn’t find anything new for me. Although the article agree useful.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article as a whole is very good !Satellites brought me a lot of entries to larger tournaments, the biggest entry for $ 320 .I won by paying only$10.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Satellites is a kind of tournament I rarely play. I prefer to buy-in. I have tried them for defferent buy-ins and I have earned some tickets. Now I usually play satellites for more expensive tournaments and usually in the weekends. Even for the more expensive tournaments, I prefer to play to a cheaper mtt and use the earnings to buy-in in a more expensive!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Interesting article. Although, at least for my opinion the percentages for buy-in in MTT and Satellites are a little bit high. I usually buy-in maximum for 1-2% already for the normal torunaments. Well, I guess, it depends how aggressive your brm is.

Actually, I play rarely satellites. Well sometimes, some freebuys or so at 888.
But I don't like them so much, especially when you need to play a satellite for another satellite and so on. It takes pretty much time.

I think, what is also very important to your choice of a satellite, is when will the target tournament run at all. Will you have time to play this at all or when it is a live tournament, can you attend it at all.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the type of satellite, the strategy and the factors to be taken into account may vary. But my advice, is to play them in the same way that you would play a normal mtt, because after all, that is

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everyone say that satellites are a good way to get your hand on a big prize , by going step by step . But from what i have read in the guide , the profit for the site that s offering the satellite is very big , and the average and chances to win the ticket are small . so if i can afford it then i should just play the main tournament without trying to win the ticket in satellite that will cost me time and maybe i will play the ticket that i want to win only in rebuys and addon . Thank you cardschat , a very useful guide , i learn many new things i didn t know about .

Speaking about the high profitability of tournaments for poker rooms, there are a few nuances to consider. First of all, what is the starting buyin for the first, initial satellite. Some rooms have satellites, which are essentially freerolls - i.e. generally have no participation fee (but may have re-buys and additional inputs at higher levels). There is an opportunity to go to the top level on all steps of the qualifying satellites - for free. Talking about the profit of the room in this case is difficult, because you have not paid a cent for participating in the main event. And in the same way there will be many more players who have paid only part of the price.
This undoubtedly improves the occupancy of the tables in the main event - a tournament with a large guarantee, but in fact, part of this guarantee will be paid for with tickets from players who come from satellites. So everything is not so simple with a profit - only the accountant of the poker room knows the exact numbers. ;)

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have already won a few more satellites from micro tournaments, I currently play a satellite of an expensive buyn tournament would be very risky, more players with a giant bankroll, can no doubt try a vacancy, following the certain strategies of this guide, it is really very lucrative .

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is that to play on large satellites you need to be a professional player. But professionals who have money will not play satellites. Then who plays them? I think that only goal-oriented and patient people can play in these tournaments. In addition, good luck is needed, because the slightest mistake can lead to failure. For me it is very difficult and time consuming.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I almost don't have any experience when it comes to satellite tournaments.

I think they are awesome for winning tickets for other bigger events, and they have their own unique strategy. I know a bunch of solid satellite MTT grinders. I agree when it comes to the format of the specific MTT. If the tourney is at turbo or hyper-turbo format, then you have to play aggressively, whether you like it or not.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very interesting article. It is interesting to see the chances to win and that you are better than average.
but it doesnt depict in my opinion that there some people who try to get a big win with an small payout.
i would like to try it out as of fun an see who well i do againt other strong players

Sss888111

Sss888111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent and informative article, thank you!

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellite Play Guide

In a turbo satellite, the guide gave good points:
  1. Adjust to a more aggressive style
  2. Stay ahead of the average stack before push-shove starts
  3. Be at the beginning of the tournament, not buy-in later.
  4. Be aware of the prize levels and how many folks are left
  5. If you have a big stack, protect it. Don't take unnecessary chances.
  6. Avoid Multi-Pots, if possible.
Another point was the folding of a pair of aces to protect your prize position. I have been there and this information can be very true. Phil Hellmuth has shown "a little" anger over such episodes when a trash hand is played and beats a top 10/15.

Good article, interesting points.
Dan'O
:stupido: :secruity: :mad:

Last edited:
GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article is good, but for myself I decided not to play poker satellites anymore since it takes a lot of time and nerves and it is not known how much more you spend on ribai or adon for example. I prefer to immediately register at the very beginning of a regular non-turbo or hyper tournament and play quietly

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Being mainly a free-roller and small(tiny or even minuscule) buy-in player, I often play satellites I consider within my bankroll in order to win entries to an event I consider outside of it.
I think they are a good way to increase a tiny bankroll, if you do trust your skills and if you don't get the jinxes.
Very helpful article.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Satellites offer the opportunity to win a seat at an affordable cost. It is worth trying if you have for the satellite, be risky and cautious when you touch it. If you're lucky, the reward would be great

Poker Tells