dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
JJ starting pair can be compared to pocket AKs: it looks good, but it's hard to win a lot with it. Jacks cause a lot of problems for beginners who analyze their game: how to play, how much to bet, when to fold, when to bet all the chips. The main and common mistake is that players overestimate the strength of a pair of jacks. Preflop this is a really good hand, but already on the flop it becomes very vulnerable. In addition, it is extremely difficult to strengthen such a combination. These two factors mean one thing: you should not put all your chips into this combination. Pre-flop you will often be called with an ace, king or queen, and any appearance of such cards on the flop will put you in an uncomfortable position. Getting out of it tied to the bank with high rates is almost impossible. Therefore, even preflop with JJ, you should not act too aggressively.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know how many tournaments and hands played, there were few times I remember, having won a victory, if I have JJ hands, I will play and bet, hoping for a victory, but I always take it easy.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For 264 thousand hands 170bb, it depends on your position. From an early position, it is played more often in a minus or a weak plus. It's a creative poker game, jj can win against a weak player with AA and lose against a strong player with 55. If you're in position against a player with KK and there's an A on the flop, the chances of winning are pretty good.

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the word trash in my mind sometimes i take others down sometimes it is really cursed

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think the biggest difficulty in playing this hand is the middle stage of the MTT. At an early stage, with the right drawing, we will not lose a significant part of the stack, but at the later stage it is quite simple (usual push/fold, taking into account the icm situation).

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket JJ

No different than any other pair. Improve to a set or play as an over pair to the flop.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is the cursed hand, some BIG dreams have been crushed with preflop all-in with Kings when i have been very deep in tournaments when i have been shot taking

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's almost that, but we can't forget that JJ is considered a very strong hand that can be played even with starting hands lol:D;)

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u just gotta play it carefully

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
every hand has its own potential, even AA has only 80% to win, so the higher the hand the more times you will win in the long run, a lot depends on the skill of the player and on luck

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often get a set of jacks. And, in general, I think that jacks appear on the table more often than other hands. For example, Jack 3 or with another garbage combination successfully beats any combination of A with a garbage or a good card on heads up. Well, this is my personal observation, maybe I'm just so lucky, and my opponents, respectively, are not.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket jacks are hard to play for me seems like every time the flop has a A K or Q have trouble playing them after that.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are just another starting hand, better than most but they might be worthless after the flop, like a monochrome 8 7 6....With action coming to you they are worthless...
Just don't get married to them preflop because you haven't seen a playable hand in an hour and a half.

Jim

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Jacks might seem cursed but they obviously can easily be beaten by a higher pair. So people overestimate the strength of a pair of jacks too often, especially on a dangerous board. And sometimes you arejust unlucky and you are up against a higher pair preflop.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Therefore, even preflop with JJ, you should not act too aggressively.[/QUOTE]

I call this the curse of jacks. I've started a couple of threads on it. Jacks play well heads up but as you say, after the flop your hand may be dead.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
In long term stats JJ still being regarded as premium hands,cos let’s be realistic in numbers. Only QQ plus is better than JJ, so why it should be called cursed hands

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Jacks

like you I can't remember the last time I won with pocket Jacks. See other people ply them and win but not the case for me. Not sure if they are cursed or not LOL but just not 2 cards I have much faith in .

GL :D

C

chako_pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are for me... I´ve been busted with ridiculous runner runners having a set of jacks more times than i can count and last time i faced pocket jacks it busted my pocket kings.. so yeah.. in my case its like they are against me

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that when you play pots with a lot of chips generally Aces, Kings and Queens are in the game. You need to play JJ with caution specially when you are deepstack. with 20 blinds or less its like a hand that play itself.. we know what we gotta do and thats it.

Jwl8092

Jwl8092

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, but they can be depending on how you play them

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
By the way every very hand can be cursed, but you can only feel it because of the current state. Yesterday I lost with JJ against AA, but I don't think it is a cursed hand, next time it will be profitable hand.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Pocket Jacks are dependent on how the board flops. Over cards and connected cards diminish their value, especially when there is a lot of betting. You have to be prepared to fold one pair hands on wet boards.

iveta777

iveta777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like JJ in preflop i try limp or fold if there big raise

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
JJ , QQ , I do not like these hands , so many times I run against KK or AA when I have JJ or QQ . Other times AK gets lucky . Really JJ or QQ makes me nervous , at least in online poker . The only time I played SM at PS , second hand was JJ , I got called preflop against AA lol

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is very good for catching a fish (hooks... get it? ahem).

Unless you hit a set or better, JJ or fish hooks can be extremely vulnerable to overcards. Keep in mind that big pots are for big hands.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands