Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man, i think o never won a JJ hand, always a Queen, king or ace Beats me, is there a good way to play that cursed hand? :jd4::jd4:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
JJ is not an easy hand to play because if you bet too much, only very strong hands will remain in the game and if you bet a small amount, weak hands will enter the pot and can hit the flop !!! When playing JJ, you need to have a well balanced bet depending on the stage of the tournament and the players at the table, and also be ready to fold if something goes wrong !!!

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have a love-hate relationship with JJ.
Basically, I want to see a flop when holding JJ. I don't really want to get it all in pre-flop, espaecially early in a tourney. There are too many people who will call off with any ace.

I do want to bet pre-flop to reduce the field and build a pot. But if I've got 20 bigs or more it usually won't be a shove.

That said, it of course depends on a nuber of things:
1. Position
2. What was the action leading in to me.
3. What are the tendencies of those left to act?

For example, if there are LAGs left to act, I'll want to raise it a little higher to build the pot.
For TAGs, I'll still raise, but a little more conservatively.
For Nits left to act, a small bet into them is preferred. They'll often fold to the slightest show of aggression when they aren't holding premium/made hands. And since they're likely to come back over the top with a strong hand, I can easily fold or call depending on the villain.

When the flop hits, I'll often want to C-Bet, even if there is a queen, king or ace on the flop. I'll then be looking at a person's FC stat here to help me understand what a call might mean as well as their 3B stats to guage any re-raise.

But with a dry board, free of QKA, I'll be betting at least half-pot, but more likely closer to pot size. Basically, if villain wants to see another card, theyr'e going to need to pay a premium. (Usually, you'll take the pot down here...which is fine).

Late game with 10BB or less, JJ is an easy shove pre-flop or a shove on the flop with a dryboard with no QKA.

Do look out for QKA plus straight and flush draws on the flop. Wet boards can become very grim, especially if playing multiway.

But at the end of the day, JJ is very vulnerable. Lots of people will say "there is no correct way to play Jacks" (and there is a funny video of it being played "wrong" in a dozen scenarios (all of which *seem* right, pre-flop).

JJ should be treated as typical pocket pair, but the urge to shove should be resisted from early position and with > 20BB.

Cheers,
JT

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's probably everyone's least favorite hand, although I can't say that about jacks, but it often happens that you have a pocket pair, you are all in and he has queens or higher. Although he himself recently went all-in on aces and lost 5 5

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only play this hand on the Flop if I have 1-2 players against me, and that's assuming there are no dangerous cards on the table!

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I also have a love/ hate relationship with this hand and JJ it's definitely not an easy hand to play regardless of your position(of course it helps to play it from late position and/or be last to act postflop), so that's why I usually take a 'safe' approach and I never try to 'blow' the pot up preflop and try to make a decision depending on the flop and my opponent/-s... Of course if it's a mtt and you are short stack(around 10BBs) you have only 1 option: shove or call a shove and hope for the best - Doug Polk used to say "my 4th favorite hand", like it or not JJ is still a very strong hand...

GLGL all at the tables BlessRNG

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a great hand! She plays a good plus for me! Maybe you're not playing it right?

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Impossible to have never won with JJ this is mathematically impossible.
JJ is a good hard to play indeed. She is strong but fragile.
The best way is to dose the gameplay with it and have a balance.
But JJ is very strong!

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
aces are in the lead in all card games

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're not right . I have this card no worse than other pocket premium pairs. You just have to play each card differently.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to claim that you are unlucky with JJ and you constantly lose with them, first download your hands and look at the draws, perhaps you made mistakes in the hands.

G

GORA1979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ia JJ a cursed hand?

no more damned than AA KK AK JJ QQ is all superstition

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey, at least it's only pocket JJ. Don't push too much. Many hands are better then JJ.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me,
  1. AA wins me 1200bb/100.
  2. KK wins me 1100bb/100
  3. QQ wins me 560bb/100
  4. JJ wins me 297bb/100
  5. TT wins me 96bb/100
  6. 99 wins me 190bb/100
It is quite clear that we have to have a different strategy for all of these hands. KK/AA are really in a class by themselves. Once we get to QQ, we have to work much harder to play correctly. The strategy generally revolves around the flop. Bet to isolate, but get to a flop cheaply. Which really means we need to know when to let them go and fight another day.

Good luck and God Bless.

001Jaguar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate playing with JJ either in my experience I think you need to play with JJ good certain amount bet to make bad hands fold and if someone call anyway you know there is something tricky so but if the flop under J I directly go all in otherwise just to read hand and play strategy but so far it’s been one of the worst hand for me maybe I do something wrong too!!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's a cursed hand, I think it's a overrated hand. I often see many players calling all in with 2-3 players with JJ and against more than one player it's not that good hand.

B

bj999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jacks

Jacks are like fishing. Lust because its hooked doesn't mean you get the fish. I play them aggressive. Info is more important. Flop comes and no over cards its time to put pressure on. I'm very aggro player.

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how the other players are betting. Just because the flop is AKQ doesn't means you're necessarily beat. You do want to keep the A5 K3 hands out though by betting pre-flop. Limping and hoping to see a low flop is generally not going to work in your favor.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, i think o never won a JJ hand, always a Queen, king or ace Beats me, is there a good way to play that cursed hand? :jd4::jd4:
At a 9-max table, 12% of the time someone will have a pocket pair higher than jacks. So with deep stacks, don't rush to go all-in with JJ. Sometimes it makes sense to raise by calling and trying to catch a set, which will happen 11% of the time. Or play jacks carefully post-flop, especially in the case of overcards on the board. Calling is also optimal if you open with a raise and someone raises. In raise-reraise pots, the power of jacks is greatly reduced. And if you 5-bet all-in and your opponent calls quickly, your hand is more likely to be dominated.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a strong medium hand, it starts the cycle of the strongest hands in the game, it's like you said it loses to Q K A.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
JJ is a quite complicated hand for me, and I also thought that they are cursed lol, but more seriously it is a difficult hand to play, I have won and lost with them a little more than with any other pair, but for sure there is one proper way to play it and I'm still in the process of learning how to play them in the best possible way

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Acadien07 pocket jack !

I will say JJ too is a hard hand to play! Depend on what type of player your playing against some player care and some don't so you have to be careful with pocket jack ! I would put a fair bit and see what the other players do and you study the other players move hopefully depending after the flop you will move all in or fold!:deal:

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your struglle with JJ, play it like its 77

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah to folks that can't put others on hands, know what they like to play or raise with or know how to read the texture of a board.

They either play it too timidly or they go overboard. You'll figure it out when you get experience playing it with the same type of folks at the level you're playing at and know when to bail and understand when you're going to be a 55/45 underdog and when you're going to be a fav.

Study how to play it and get some experience on the level you're at. Don't go by what some commentator going over a tourn online or on TV says to play it. Study it and work on it within your experience, preferences, knowing how your opponent plays and keep your plays in your comfort zone.

You should have a spreadsheet or something to track how you play certain hands and if Jacks is one of your problem cases then figure if you're playing it out of position, are you opponents donks calling with trash hands and hitting the K with K8 or are you going all in with a wet board or two over pair on the board, lol,

I mean you have to figure out what you are doing wrong. A lot of time you can make adjusts so you don't lose so much with hands and that's actually winning, believe it or not and is very important. Not losing a big hand or putting yourself at risk of losing a big hand when you're behind is part of being a winning player, ABC123 stuff.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands