tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
You're in the bubble. Ten get paid, there are eleven left.

You're in 5th place, which gets paid $125. First place gets paid $1,250, and 10th place gets paid $25.

You're in the small blind with pocket aces. The tournament chip leader is a tight aggressive player with 175 blind, calls all in, the short stack with 30 blind folds and it's your turn. If you win the hand you are placed in first position but if you lose you do not get paid. What would you do ?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I call 30BB I will see the flop and I still have 95BB so there is still room to play. Not all will be lost yet.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will pay, If you are not ready to pay with AA perhaps poker is not your thing. :ad4::ah4:

sulzerrt

sulzerrt

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

You're in 5th place, which gets paid $125. First place gets paid $1,250, and 10th place gets paid $25.

You're in the small blind with pocket aces. The tournament chip leader is a tight aggressive player with 175 blind, calls all in, the short stack with 30 blind folds and it's your turn. If you win the hand you are placed in first position but if you lose you do not get paid. What would you do ?

If you don`t have money at all you fold, if you play without any tension there is no any point to fold AA, need to play for the 1st place anyway.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would totally play it. Probably kick myself after but I would do it anyway.

bilva1984

bilva1984

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

and in my case it depends on the tournament, if it is a tournament for a lot of money, I think about it and fold. but in a tournament of little money he sent me headfirst.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is not enough data in your question to assess such a situation. But I will try to explain my point of view. The short stack will probably not risk it and the all-in range will be strong up to 3%. The chip leader can afford to enter the pot with a wider range, but then he would also make an all-in, eliminating a random participant who will enter and win the pot. So the leader's range is also strong around 5-7%. In this case, your chances of winning are 72% versus 14-14.7% (for 2 participants in the distribution). If you are a regular, play a lot of tournaments and the results of the game are positive, then you can take a chance. If, as an amateur, it is better to throw off even AA.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I would never fold AA, as complicated as the situation is, folding AA is the same as giving up on reaching a final table.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I will consider folding KK, but I will don't fold AA, this hand is too strong. Although ITM is important, my goal is always to reach the top 3 when I play tournaments.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on you - if you want to get into the prizes - pass, if you want to win the tournament - the best solution is push!

C

Crazykilla4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You call. And hopefully the CL checks down the hand for 2-1 against the small stack. However if you hit your Aces you can always Jam at the CL to Isolate the small stack and knock him out with out the CL hitting his straight or flush, OR you reraise preflop for all of it and hope the CL folds his 30 BB he already invested.

C

Crazykilla4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I misread that I thought it said the CL call the all in of the short stacks 30 BB.... Well in this case HU you call that CL and hope your AA makes it through. This is what we play this game for, why tuck tail and run when the cards your dealt are the best

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live tourney, in that situation I don’t fold AA.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Jump up and down in excitement and call every time! :)

This is similar to a question like: You have a friend who is willing to flip a fair coin (head or tails) and offers you 2 to 1 odds when you win (i.e. $20 paid to him if you lose and $40 paid to you if you win).

Sure you might lose, but the odds are heavily in your favor and show the best results the more often you take the flip.

Always, always, always!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on you - if you want to get into the prizes - pass, if you want to win the tournament - the best solution is push!

No, folding is a major mistake!

The focus should be on the long run, not on just the current MTT.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is not enough data in your question to assess such a situation. But I will try to explain my point of view. The short stack will probably not risk it and the all-in range will be strong up to 3%. The chip leader can afford to enter the pot with a wider range, but then he would also make an all-in, eliminating a random participant who will enter and win the pot. So the leader's range is also strong around 5-7%. In this case, your chances of winning are 72% versus 14-14.7% (for 2 participants in the distribution). If you are a regular, play a lot of tournaments and the results of the game are positive, then you can take a chance. If, as an amateur, it is better to throw off even AA.

You have strangled yourself in your own logic.

In the book "The Tao of Pooh" you would be described as being too much of a Rabbit! Over analyzing, planning, reanalyzing, making sure your thoughts are correct, questions, analyzing again, triple checking, etc.

Don't over analyze the obvious answer.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have busted out a few times doing this on the bubble. My focus is to make the final three players and from there it's up to karma and aggression to get the win. The only way to even remotely consider this is if I were short stacked and had no chance to make the final three. Crack the whip and go. As for me, with the rarity of getting pocket aces, I want to get all I can out of them every time.....It's like my big brother told me about girls -----a date you turn down is a date you don't get.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Gottta call. You play all night for a hand like this.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have AA's this is the moment you've been waiting for all day it's all-in it's now or never.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
going all-in with AA and KK

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In general, i think it depends on your bankroll and buy-in size. For example, if your remaining bankroll is $5 and the buy-in is $1, you can fold :D

But under normal conditions, you need to use icm and with AA in this case, in most situations it will be correct to go all-in.