Playing against recreational players

nachopaulo19

nachopaulo19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips for playing against recreationals? Because only today were pair of aces broken all in preflop for marginal hands, trips broken when the opponent's card hits the river. There were so many bads that I don't even know if I'm the one with bad luck or the recreational players who are very lucky.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In these situations, if you just had bad beats and your call were good, just keep paying inside your bankroll, and you'll be fine understanding the swings of poker it is par of the game, you can check Cardschat Course if they don't make those calls against the odds it would be harder to win at poker table remember the odds in all hands, even if you go all in with 95% vs 5% that 5 percent will occur more times than we believe, because we tend to think that the small percentage of times we will lose will happen only one time in life, but actually it's going to happen more....

I was there once until I studied more about the odds, hope this info relief you

serj537

serj537

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Just put up with it. I almost always fly out with my best hands

viniavelar2

viniavelar2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Recreational players make poker a game with less strategy and skill, since there is a hand that a professional player wouldn't even beat in the end, while recreational players go all-in even with bad cards, they try to win tournaments with a higher value but in the end it will compensate because the probability of winning is greater.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You made the right play, and as someone else said, you can lose even when the odds are heavily in your favor. "Recreational" doesn't mean that a player isn't knowledgeable about the game, if just means that they don't play it for a living.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Any tips for playing against recreationals? Because only today were pair of aces broken all in preflop for marginal hands, trips broken when the opponent's card hits the river. There were so many bads that I don't even know if I'm the one with bad luck or the recreational players who are very lucky.
Sooo. You're playing for a living? Because if this is not the case you're also a recreational player 😉

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
look in some software how many percent to win preflop with AA, and in general are you sure that you are a pro player? you need to understand that in poker in tournaments the game is quite dispersive

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Long term you will be winning against recreational players as long as you let yourself tilt when variance go against you. Just keep the grind.

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Most CC forum members are recreational players, which I include myself, but I have the same dilemma as you, because I lose with AA about 35-40% which is more than expectations. No matter how much I bet before the flop, some players just follow up on anything and beat me. I am trying to find the optimal solution to reduce the loss with the strongest cards before the flop, so when I find it, I will definitely share it with you.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
we all lose with strong hands against weak hands because poker today lets you win tomorrow to someone else, and if you always win and others lose then you'll stop playing the same way poker gives everyone a little bit of a little bit today tomorrow and so everyone thinks he wins but everyone loses and there are more people:) this is the system:I CAN'T RYE:

J

johnadams1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly dont overthink it. If you have it bet hard if you dont its not good idea to bluff them.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think we should always play correctly, like going all-in with pocket aces. But that does not mean that we will always win, but we will always win more than we lose and that is to be profitable. For these recreational players in the long run they will be losing money.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play more linear ranges. Avoid playing big pots with marginal hands.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear ya, I have been there so many times I am beginning to believe the logarithms of the RNG are against me. But in reality it is just the turn of the game and I know it is hard to accept when you continually get outdrawn by garbage...one can only hope things will turn around..by the way I am what is called a recreational player...

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've noticed that most rec-players are lucky because they aren't trying to win, necessarily, w/an, ahem, poker strategy. They've got more $ than brains/poker-sense and they're just passing the time. I mean who can blame them, right?
Most of the rec-players I come in contact with are more of the gambling type anyway, so they just want to see a flop. I have to pick my spots a little better, look for tells and betting patterns a little closer. Plus, they're more likely to play their favorite hand. These usually consist of the odd but "I get it" starting hand combos like 10-4 and J5 and 8-3 and 6-2, suited it seems but still raising utg w/this crap? You betcha they will.
Have you ever noticed that the better hands suffer the worst beats by lesser hands? Why is it that we haven't noticed that it's these crap hands that are beating the better starting hands? In other words, embrace the crap hands. I know it's hard to do but to beat a donkey you have to think like a donkey. I have to believe that there is some logic to that.
Long ago I performed an experiment on PS's. They had a 360 plyr sng/trny for $.10, or as I nicknamed it "the Dime 360". It was a fun little trny, especially if you were down on funds or just felt like donking around, like I did on that day. Anyway, I made my mind up that whenever I had at least a J or better that I would shove all-in, no matter my position or stack size. J2-AA was my range. I made it to the ft the first time and went out in 2nd or 3rd. The next time I won. I did it again like 3 more times and "cashed" in all of them. I wouldn't dream of doing that in a real trny but then again, I understand bankroll management and check-raises and floats etc.
So beating a rec-player may take a little more patience than normal but then there lies another, so-called, poker challenge. It can only be good for our game, in theory. Agree? :unsure:

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Every time I find myself playing against recreational players, I take a more adaptive and patient approach. I recognize that recreational players have a more unpredictable style of play and less based on conventional strategies. Therefore, I seek to closely observe their actions and try to identify patterns or trends that can be exploited. Also, I avoid doing too much reading or trying to apply advanced concepts that might not be understood by recreational players. Instead, I try to simplify my game and focus on playing solidly, waiting for good opportunities and making informed decisions. I also keep in mind that recreational players can be more prone to making mistakes or making impulsive decisions, so I try to capitalize on those situations when possible.

D

Da_Bogeyman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I guess you would have to lump me in the same boat. I end up playing just as bad as they are playing, except I do have good cards and like you and alot of people get burned on the river. Recreation is what it is these people like, it does not matter how you win or how you lose. They just need stories to tell their co-workers at the cooler, LOL