Play To Win Or To Get ITM?

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just made a move on the bubble and lost, hurts but I was ahead in the hand and would probably do it again. Wondering if this is the right strategy in the long run?

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play to win or get in the money

Depends on your bankroll and what is up to win / loose? Been in many games on the bubble and have learned that other players usually know all players ranking and many times try to bluff you out of a winning hand. Play your cards not your position of being on the bubble.

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your bankroll and what is up to win / loose? Been in many games on the bubble and have learned that other players usually know all players ranking and many times try to bluff you out of a winning hand. Play your cards not your position of being on the bubble.

I just started playing....again, so my ranking is pretty bad. In addition I have no bank roll. Trying to build from 0 and was playing a 50 cent tourney with money from free play....so probably sound advice lol.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
kalipro

Good luck to you building a bankroll. Think I have seen you play on ACR.

Good luck

ACESOVEREZZ

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First break the bubble then fight for the win. I don't see any other reasonable option.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Build a good BR first playing conservatively with the goal of reaching itm, then when BR is over your target buy-in multiplier, start playing to win. I need to heed this advice myself and stop getting tilted by fast fold cash tables. (But they are so easy to make money from! But the "variance" has such vicious swings. Hmmmm.)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started playing....again, so my ranking is pretty bad. In addition I have no bank roll. Trying to build from 0 and was playing a 50 cent tourney with money from free play....so probably sound advice lol.

If you are just started playing and attempting to build the bankroll from scratch, then finishing ITM is very important for you at this stage. With this being said, it does not mean we are just going to throw away a great opportunity to chip up, just so we can fold into a min-cash.

I would advise taking less risks then normal in order to finish into the prize zone, but not to completely shut down around the bubble.

Good luck with building the bankroll :top:

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I don't listen...just bubbled on entry to venom mega10....was like 5th in chips....all I had to do was fold, but chip lead was a donk....and caught an ace on the river.

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ICM Poker very useful thing!!! I advise you to read about ICM!!!

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've recently wiped my poker site accounts clean...with the exception of 17 cents to 35 cents in a couple for the Jackpot free rolls which cost a penny...so for the free rolls where I qualify or have a ticket I found that by doubling up my initial chips somewhere along the way will allow me to coast past the bubble and into the pay schedule 90% of the time. There are some early early morning games where all you need to do is register and you can sit out the entire game and still win a few shekels. Once you have some pennies you can afford to risk/lose THEN start playing button tactics. This is what has worked for me.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are just starting to play and trying to build a bankroll from scratch, then ITM completion is very important for you at this stage. It is better to lose a small pace before the bubble, even if you are far ahead of your opponent and lose him, then what is the use? When you have already entered ITM, you can already play to win.

Good luck in creating a bankroll:fight::pcguru:

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's right, you always need to play only in the calculation of getting at least the final table, and always think only about the first place, in the long term it will pay off with a vengeance

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play to win. MTTs are top heavy and getting the top spots is where the most money is made.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
One step at a time , my aggression triggered after the bubble burst , after that my only target is the final table. In large MTTs 3000+ participants without taking some risks early on you don't have a bright future. You must understand that you should reach the final table with a massive stack in order to ship it.

-BUT-

If the minimum cash is a great boost for your bankroll then OK I will play too for ITM :)

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just made a move on the bubble and lost, hurts but I was ahead in the hand and would probably do it again. Wondering if this is the right strategy in the long run?
That depends on multiple factor.Bankroll,type of opponent,hand you're holding etc...At least if made that call stick with it it will be worse for you to be doubtful in your decisions.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always tighten up around the bubble, but if an oppratunity presents itself I'm not scared to get it in. I do tend to bubble more then I prefer, but there are a hand full of win I have I would have missed out on if I didnt get it in when I could have folded into the money.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the goals you are pursuing. If you play to win, then there is no difference in a bubble or not, but there is a necessary condition for at least 30 tournaments per session. If you are playing with a small bankroll, wait for ITM and only then continue the game, no need to risk the stack for a ghostly hope for the final.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still struggle with this but generally tighten up, too many times though I have nitted myself out of the money because I missed an opportunity and realized I was playing "scared" not truly scared just over conservative. No risk no reward! It's a balance that has to be determined by proper position and evaluation of the hand at play imo

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are on the bubble. with a small stack, you have to pick your spot If your bankroll is low I would say try to get ITM If you get a premium hand go for it.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's better not to burn the steps.in a first temp I prefer to have as a goal to overtake the bubble before thinking to reach the final table.but sometimes I take big risks before the bubble to raprocher leaders and that I'm losing. in this kind of situation. we find ourselves without anything but I think it is an acceptable risk if we take into account the state of our banckroll.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First break the bubble then fight for the win. I don't see any other reasonable option.
I agree with this one.
After bubbling a few times.
I looked at it closer...I pushed QQ AK called. I'm out on the bubble. Should of seen the flop and got away.
Another was a 3 way I could have stayed out of with AK to break the bubble.
So I agree with super tight to make the money. And if you don't.....that's OK too.
Its also a great time to loosen up.
But break the bubble.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the buy-in is big i like to get itm first, but if it's a smaller tournament i go for the win a 100% (Also in bigger tournaments) But i usually play a little more tight than in the smallers gamer i play that day.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All ways to get in the money, then fight for win

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At what stage did you do it,and what cards did you have on the table?...

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Many players consider it correct to play so that they take a place as high as possible, play for victory. But I play for ITM. I try to risk less and play only on a good card. I get a lot more fun when I get ITM every day. Although probably more correct to play to win, more often take risks.