PKO vs MTT Tournaments

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

I've just recently dabbled into PKO tournaments and found the bounty hunting aspect of the game pretty fun. I must admit my normal style of play in regular MTTs doesn't focus on knocking out players, other players seem to do that for me and I pick them off later in the tournament by chipping away at their stack.

My first PKO resulted in me reaching the final 18 with the lowest bounty, but I was able to knock out 2 large bounties to get to the final table.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is of this type of poker, is this format better to play than regular MTTs?

And is my style of play beneficial in this type of tournament where I get little knockouts until the late stages of the tournament?

Thanks for any responses and gl at the tables

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Just play your game in peace, the knockouts will come by themselves. I wouldn't chase the knockouts and risk being kicked out of the tournament. First increase your stack and then if you throw someone out of the tournament while you are collecting chips, so much the better for you. At the beginning everyone has the same knockout on their head so you have more profit from it anyway if you knock them out later.

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These ko tournaments are played with great desperation to eliminate rivals and thus earn rewards, try to play as safe as possible, and avoid looking for the ko, they will come alone, because if you chase them you will surely lose most of the time.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer MTT tournaments...

PKO i play few times...

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I also do not do well in PKOs as I am usually slow to build my stack and hate getting tournament life on the line with all ins, as anything can happen and often does it seems. So I collect very few bounties too. But when I do have a deep run then the payout schedule is so much lower than normal MTT so I'm always disappointed with my cash amount in a PKO.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play what you enjoy most. If you choose PKOs though, you do need to make some adjustments and be more willing to get all your chips in, when you have the chance to win a bounty. This is after all half the price pool, so you cant just let it "take care of itself".

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play your game in peace, the knockouts will come by themselves. I wouldn't chase the knockouts and risk being kicked out of the tournament. First increase your stack and then if you throw someone out of the tournament while you are collecting chips, so much the better for you. At the beginning everyone has the same knockout on their head so you have more profit from it anyway if you knock them out later.

These ko tournaments are played with great desperation to eliminate rivals and thus earn rewards, try to play as safe as possible, and avoid looking for the ko, they will come alone, because if you chase them you will surely lose most of the time.

I agree with you Mina and Aleomar, I've only played one PKO so far but people seemed so focused on knocking people out that I'm cruised to the late stage just accumulating chips and knocking out a couple of large bounties that dropped in stack. I'm wondering if this is a common theme, going to try a few more PKOs this week and see.

Just play what you enjoy most. If you choose PKOs though, you do need to make some adjustments and be more willing to get all your chips in, when you have the chance to win a bounty. This is after all half the price pool, so you cant just let it "take care of itself".

I agree Fundiver, I'm definitely a lot less aggressive than the other players out there who are focusing on collecting bounties during early/mid tournament. I'm not afraid to play for stacks when the cards are right, but I noticed people shove a lot looser in PKOs than in MTTs and because of this, climbing the payout ladder seems to be easier than in regular MTTs

S

SnatchNRun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do t know how to send.pics but if my works it'll show me at final table.of.a.PKO game after reading and watching the poker video and info on this site I've made it to the.final table for.once lol thx guys.

https://twitter.com/KavelmanScott/status/1421098007639044103?s=19

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO tournaments have an additional bonus that pays for the elimination of players and gives you direct value to your cashier constant and sound money:D

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
They are two formats in which you must play differently. In PKO tournaments you must be more aggressive although if it has worked for you to be a little more cautious you should continue to try this way

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Look at the payout structure for the PKO tournament that you are in. That's my biggest advice. Some of these you just can't play like a regular MTT. Many of them are not worth playing like a regular MTT. I would also say that rebuys are more acceptable in PKO for the same reasons.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
such tournaments attract more players, and it is more interesting to play in them, a couple of knockouts and you play a freeroll

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Puzzlefish has it right. Definitely something to take into consideration if you play a PKO. Sometimes getting ITM in a PKO is about equal to your buy-in cost. So it definitely favors the more aggressive players and you likely need to get at least one PKO to make it worth your time.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO depends on luck even more strongly, than regular tournaments, because it has a lot more hunters (or crazy players), you feel pressure much more often and get more aggression in any position and at any stage of the tournament.. One tournament shows absolutely nothing, if you want, you can play and see, how it is and what it is, and after 50-100 tournaments you will have a good idea about it and without any problems you will evaluate your statistics and look at the result of the game.

In general, PKO tournaments are very specific relative to any other tournaments and it is wrong and impossible to draw parallels between them. 80-90% play for the bounty and can't think of anything else, unfortunately, so your tactics and strategy can be destroyed very quickly...

Making a knockout in these tournaments is not a problem, a big problem save the pot and get to the big prizes, because other players do not want to play (sit and wait), the purpose is to leave quickly or get a bounty quickly...

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All,

I've just recently dabbled into PKO tournaments and found the bounty hunting aspect of the game pretty fun. I must admit my normal style of play in regular MTTs doesn't focus on knocking out players, other players seem to do that for me and I pick them off later in the tournament by chipping away at their stack.

My first PKO resulted in me reaching the final 18 with the lowest bounty, but I was able to knock out 2 large bounties to get to the final table.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is of this type of poker, is this format better to play than regular MTTs?

And is my style of play beneficial in this type of tournament where I get little knockouts until the late stages of the tournament?

Thanks for any responses and gl at the tables
The number of PKO tournaments has grown dramatically, many players now have more than 50% load. There are also a lot more expensive tournaments, and almost all of them are held with reentry. Now you can download a lot more money. Expensive tournaments with very good line-ups have almost completely disappeared - in fact, this is a consequence of the introduction of reentry.Conventional multi-table tournaments are dying online, giving way to PKO [Progressive Knockouts], and offered the following answers: - They go too long - Lots of reentries - Less guarantees than PKO :(

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first discovered those type of tournaments I initially aimed to rack up as many bounties as I could as early as possible but all that does is put a bigger bounty on myself so my new approach is to play my own game and if it happens great any marginal situations I get in I always lean towards the more aggressive line because of the added equity involving the bounty however if you make a deep run regardless of your bounty first is double second in most cases so just play solid and good luck!

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You understand where I'm coming from DonkArmyFish. When you have a small bounty on your head compared to the field you're less of a target. Getting a few KOs early on to freeroll the tournament is good. I would then prefer to build a stack safely through the tournament rather than forcing KOs. Once you get deep in the tournament the natural KOs will normally give you a good bounty anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm focusing on the quality of the bounty rather than the quantity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but I noticed people shove a lot looser in PKOs than in MTTs and because of this

This is, what you are supposed to do, if you can win another players bounty, and especially if that bounty is significant compared to the amount of chips, you need to risk. The bounty value can be converted to chips, so if a player has moved all-in, and you cover, its like a big ante in the pot sweetening your pot odds. And for that reason you should look to isolate the all-in player with a wider range, that you would in a normal tournament.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I preffer MTT but someone likes more PKO tourneys.

In classic MTT youu need to be a more tihgt in total. At Pko Your'e range will be wider. You will play more all in pre flop because from bounty You can get extra money.

Its fun beacuse even You dont make a cash in tournament a bouny can give YOu something like "safe and free entry" :D