nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi all!
I have seen many players at the tables at the lower limits who make the same pass, which does not lead to anything. I will try to explain my thought.
When you try to bet more preflop against the short stack when there are 1.5-2 blinds left. The player can now be in the big blind and only have 0.5 blind left or a little more. Does he fold? What for? Does it make sense to fight further when your stack is not capable of anything, is it better to try calling from 1.5 blinds, or am I wrong?

There are also situations in which you put 10-15 blinds into your opponent, when on previous streets they gave more than 20 in the hand. The player has 5 blinds left and he folded his cards. Again, for what?

I just do not understand the logic of such a game))) Share your opinion.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I agree, probably in such situations, such behavior looks rather strange. However, everyone has the right to play as they see fit. Perhaps such players make decisions based on their intuition.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I agree that if you're short stacked, it's either push or fold but obviously not everyone plays this way. ☺️

Additionally, if you put in more than 30% of your stack into the pot, then you commited to it and cannot fold.

At least that's how I play my hand and if I bust, then onto the next tourney. 😄

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it can make sense to try to fold your way to a min-cash or a payjump, when you are very short. But it does require, that there is a realistic chance of someone else busting first. So in your example with someone being in BB with more than half their stack in the middle, a fold would pretty much only be a good decision, if another player is already all-in and at risk. Like if its on the bubble of a SnG, and it goes jam, call before you. But other than this the most likely explanation is, that people are multitabling and not paying attention to stack sizes. Or they are so bad, that they dont understand the concept of pot odds.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all!
I have seen many players at the tables at the lower limits who make the same pass, which does not lead to anything. I will try to explain my thought.
When you try to bet more preflop against the short stack when there are 1.5-2 blinds left. The player can now be in the big blind and only have 0.5 blind left or a little more. Does he fold? What for? Does it make sense to fight further when your stack is not capable of anything, is it better to try calling from 1.5 blinds, or am I wrong?

There can be a money/ladder jump ... hand can be so bad that the player that dont like it, player can see some more hands,... and hope for a hand the player likes...

There are also situations in which you put 10-15 blinds into your opponent, when on previous streets they gave more than 20 in the hand. The player has 5 blinds left and he folded his cards. Again, for what?

I personally fold when I think I am beat... I could be on a bluff, or next table card is very bad or plays well with in opponets range. and theres no rebuy ;)
there is no reason to to keep fighting, if you know your beat even if I I have investet a lot in the pot,.......and maybe I play better short stacked ;)
and maybe I just dont want to show my cards to the table to give info on my play-

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When you see how Giuliano Bendinelli won the EPT Barcelona 2022 after having a single blind at the final table, that's where you realize that anything is possible.
Cheers;););)

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once got to the final table with a stack of 1.2 bb and won the tournament, so as long as there are chips, there is a chance to spin to victory

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They’re thinking a chip and a chair!

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
They believe in a comeback or already experienced a similar comeback.

Also a lot of players don't use big blind system, they can measure stack to the one they begin with. So for instance, they start with 5000, they lost some early in the tournament and then built it back from 3000. Some time later they got 3000 again but they don't really know the essence behind the blinds increasing and their stack decreasing actually, imagine, some people are like that. So they wait for another double up, which make their stack a playable size in their heads.

And of course, there are such factors as pay jumps, possibility of getting in the money, so preserving of a tiny stack may make sense.

Also some people won't give up even with crumbles stack, and might even on purpose stall every move just as a form of tilt, to get back at their opponent(s) this way, since they probably won't be able to get back other way.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

I do it sometimes, and my reasoning is as follows:
  • when not involved in hand: there is bubble or bubble is coming and I see a chance to wait it out to itm, when chances of few doubles ups are thin,
  • when involved in a hand and I strongly suspect I'm beaten: folding gives one more chance
Having that said, I made a final table few times from less then 6 blinds. I kind of am professional shortstacker.
Also, I don't recall now name and tournament, though there was this famous legend about a hero who found 1 more chip after thinking going all in live and made recovery to win it.