Ok, gimme all yer strats for winning this thing

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gl dmorris68. Hopefully I see you at the final table as I will be playing this too. Won a couple of satties to the WCOOP.

Good luck.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DM-

I shipped two of those stars extreme sattys now myself and have a $215 and a $320 ticket each - so perhaps I'll see you in the tny ;)

FYI you can reg for any $215 with your ticket - and they are running 4 $215 NL tourny so take your pick - there's one each sunday I think for like 4 straight sundays - though only one is a 2MM gty and that is 9/5. THe rest are 1.5MM gtys. (However, note the start times, some of them start a LOT earlier in teh day and that might be beneficial depending on your timezone.)

Bon

p.s. Brag: shipped the $215 satty for $11 - and was playing pot limit 5-card draw, which I have never played before. I figured out the rules as it went lol!

A

anonimousplz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I havnt read many of the replies, so if this is just repeating them then I apologise!

Firstly, great job on the shipping the seat!

Probably the best adivce for this type of tourney is not to be intimidated by the buyin and let it affect your play, this is a huge series and therefore this will attract a lot of people taking shots and a lot of sattelite players so the competition probably wont be as tough as you think!

I would say because of the long structure you need to be taking a lot of notes, starting with just copy and pasting there stats from opr so you can differentiate between those MTT beast and the fist that registered with his last 215$. I think however you need to go a bit further than this and note down tendancies e.g. "limps in pre with premium" just things like this as its going to be a long tournament and any extra information you can collect is going to help!

Lastly I saw someone said videos, if you dont want to pay for this you can get free trials at some sites like pokersavvy for 7 days so this could be a good free option to brush up on your mtt game :)

ohhh yeah and lastly......run good!!

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats Bon and tpb, here's hoping CC be representin' at the final table. :D

Yeah mine was not an extreme satty, so I can unreg for $215 in T$ and actually use it however I want, which was my dilemma starting out.

I may look over the times on the other events. I've started watching a DTB video series from Bas on a $215 WCOOP 3rd place finish, not sure what year but it's obviously at least a couple years old -- starting stacks are 3000, levels start at 10/20, and the field was only 4500. It took 17 hours *shudder*. Last year these $215 events drew 10-11k players, and stacks were 5000. So this year I expect a *really* slow tourney.

And LOL on the 5-card draw brag. I haven't played 5cd since I was a kid. I remember the rules but don't think I have any real clue about proper strategy.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, 43 minutes to start and 3500 players registered and rapidly increasing. With another hour of late registration and I expect we could easily hit 10k or more.

I guess I'm gonna go for it. The T$215 wouldn't be a huge boost my bankroll or anything, and I've never played a big tourney like this before so I have to try it. If I go out in the first level, oh well.

Good luck to my fellow CC'ers who are in this one! All I ask is that if you run into me, let me win. :p

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Update: Nearing end of 3rd hour, I'm just below avg stack. Sitting on the left of Andre 'acoimbra' Coimbra, a Stars Pro/SNE from portugal. Yay. Total field is 10492, with 6730 remaining atm

Started out pretty badly. Trying to be patient but getting cards that I guess I'm not good enough to fold, lol. At least I played small ball and no big pots, but got sucked out on a couple times on the river (as expected, there are some pretty bad players), lost with JJ twice, a couple of dominated aces, etc. Was down to only 4k chips at one point, but swung it back up to 14k. Currently at 12.8k with 100/200 blinds 25 ante. So 64bb. I'm still in it at least, and there are still some real fishy players...

EDIT: I'm jinxing myself. :( As soon as I submitted this update, I raise QTc 2.4x from hijack, get called by button maniac 52/35 who just the hand before nearly busted acoimbra with AA vs A9. Flop comes K high 2 clubs given me 2nd nfd. I cbet, he raises about 2.5x, I call, he shoves turn on a blank and I have to fold or risk my life. Down to a little over 8k now.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, back to 10k. AA 3-way with a set on flop but 3 to a flush, was sweating when I cbet pot and both went into the tank before folding.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sweet, just doubled up with AA > QQ. 20k now, just above avg. 5681 remaining, so nearly half the field gone. This is where I have to buckle down, lol.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol acoimba tried to bluff a busted fd (73c opened from CO) against my JJ otb, getting me up to 32k. Then the next hand he shoves 30bb (steaming?) with A6o against the aforementioned maniac who calls with 66 and busts him. Bye bye Andre.

Definitely some strange plays at this level...

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great, now sms9231 takes acoimba's seat to my right. Guess it's better than to my left. He's only got a below avg stack, but he knows how to use it ($1.8M winnings according to OPR).
LOL, same maniac takes out sms9231 as well. I *so* want to double up through this guy, but have to force myself not to tangle with him without the stone nuts. He's been too lucky and can bust everybody at the table.

Meanwhile my run of good cards has ceased, and I'm whittled down to $26.3k, just above avg. Still 53bb, so I'm being patient again. 4159 remaining as we start the 5th hour.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sweet, called a pf 3bet with QQ, flop came TT8 and I c/r AI. He tanks and folds with only 19bb behind. I'm up to 32k and 57bb. 1088/3704. If I can just hang on I might cash this thing. Payout is 1350 places.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And..... I'm out at 3183. Thanks to the maniac and my spewy desired to get back at him, lol.

He raises from MP, I flat from the BB with AQo because I know he'll call/raise any 3bet and I want to see a flop as cheaply as possible.
Poker Stars $200+$15 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t300/t600 Blinds + t70 - 8 players - View hand 921613
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: t33065 M = 22.65
UTG+1: t27885 M = 19.10
MP1: t88579 M = 60.67
MP2: t21586 M = 14.78
CO: t29838 M = 20.44
BTN: t25801 M = 17.67
SB: t10268 M = 7.03
Hero (BB): t27631 M = 18.93

Pre Flop: (t1460) Hero is BB with A Q
2 folds, MP1 raises to t1800, 4 folds, Hero calls t1200

Flop: (t4460) 3 8 Q (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets t3600, Hero raises to t9600, MP1 calls t6000

Turn: (t23660) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets t16161 all in, MP1 calls t16161

River: (t55982) Q (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t55982
MP1 shows 9 A (a flush, Ace high)
Hero shows A Q (three of a kind, Queens)
MP1 wins t55982
Some great lessons here about deepstacked poker, I'm sure. The monotone flop sucked, as did the 4th club on the turn. I still have 30bb behind, less than half avg stack, if I folded the turn. Short but survivable. Thing is this guy being the maniac he is, my obsession with getting back at him after watching him run over the table and suckout time and again, and me looking at being pot committed on the turn, I couldn't help myself.

And as soon as I c/r the 9600 I knew it was too small, but now, knowing he had the nfd by then he would have called a shove there, given his history. Overall I think I played pretty well. Even here, I don't think I was too far out of line -- with about any other player I would have given credit for the flush, but this guy was just nuts and getting lucky everywhere, I figured he couldn't possibly keep hitting.

But hey, for my first deep tourney at this level, and considering all the pros I outlasted, I'm proud of my top 30% finish anyway. I'll definitely play more satties into these big events now, as I won't be quite as intimidated going in.

A great experience overall.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he is calling and raising any 3 bet. I am 3 betting with the hope of getting it in preflop. If he is a maniac AQ is way ahead of his range and worst case situation you are flipping. And you obviously spew on the turn but you know that already.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he is calling and raising any 3 bet. I am 3 betting with the hope of getting it in preflop. If he is a maniac AQ is way ahead of his range and worst case situation you are flipping. And you obviously spew on the turn but you know that already.
Yeah, I realize I should have been happy to get it in pf, and most of the time I would. I think it was largely me just being new to these deep tourneys and wanting to stay alive as long as I could, and not having the nerve to shove pf with AQo. Had I not hit TPTK it would have been easy to get away from, even if I had a read that he was bluffing/drawing, because this guy had been sucking out all day. And lol on the turn spew -- that's exactly what it was. As soon as the 4th club hit I smacked the desk and told myself "give up, give up, give up." My mouse hand had other ideas, though, and I let this guy rope me in like so many before me.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats why I dont play with a mouse. They are evil and never listen to you.

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good to hear you lasted as long as you did. Sounds like we have related mice...I know there were a couple hands that I should have folded last night but the mouse insisted on going AI.....yeah...that's it!! :p

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he lasted a lot longer than I did too! lol I played the first $215 and lasted ten hands. PLayed for stacks with KK

UTG raise to 150 - 1 flat, I make it 460 from BB with KK

UTG makes it 1400

I make it 4000

UTG shoves allin for 10k total.

I call knowing I'm probably beat, but sickly I have the right odds to call at this point.

Dude has AA obv and to make it worse flops the aceball.

my mouse was not happy after all that clicking ;)

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get bored. Don't get creative. Textbook play is the answer until you're in the bubble.

Then ICM decisions factor in.

Or so I'd wager.

Also: Run well.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Don't get bored. Don't get creative. Textbook play is the answer until you're in the bubble.

Then ICM decisions factor in.

Or so I'd wager.

Also: Run well.

I'd have to disagree with some of this.... (of course, lol)

a) the tourney has come & gone.... finito.. over.. done. If you'd read thru the posts I think you'd have realized this?

b) as far as the style of play > 'textbook/don't get creative'.... umm.. I'd have to disagree with this as well.

c) pretty sure ICM decisions wouldn't need to be considered unless we're on the final table with some SS's still in it

1part I agee with in your post... 'run well' (< except for the fact that it'd be.. 'ran' well... not 'run'... seeing as the tourney was completed already ;) )