_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok this is a weird feeling, as OP and I Google "when to raise on big blind" 2 years later and I get this post as the second result
AhIeq0k.png

Last edited:
schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can try to go all in if you have big hands. probably you will find some drops.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that I have already 1 million times, even always give the same answer to these questions you are with this subscriber for the first time at the table you lost at least 10 minutes with him what are you talking about if you do not have marks on the style of his game what questions do you all ask us you are probably just an Amateur for each player with whom I play I have notes you need to understand the style of the player's game. I just don't know what else to say to you, you probably just recently started playing poker my opinion is?!!!!!!

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So it seems that raising the big blind, you always either get called or raised, so it seems to be ineffective.
Even with premium hands, it seems like I just get called down then sucked out on them.
So is it ever good to raise on the BB?

You get the same thing if you just call BB, with the only difference that in the first case you can take the pot right away, and in the second you give the villain a free card and the opportunity to make a good combination even with a garbage hand. If the flop doesn't suit you at all, you find yourself in a very difficult situation.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well you get to see the flop for free. If you have premium hands and don't connect with the flop you might regret not being more aggressive, but it depends on your opponents. There might be some people at the table who would just call anything, and may get lucky with the community cards. Or someone else may have been limping in to slow-play a premium hand of their own - either way, it will cost

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dangerous

It seems that this question depends more on whom you are playing against and how aggressive they play. Will they fold on a large raise? Will they shove if you raise with a ‘teaser’ raise? If you don’t raise with a good hand you run the risk of that 7-2o becoming gold after a terrible flop?

Z

Stay Safe

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

I believe that all advice of this kind cannot be taken seriously. Poker is so situational that every decision depends on the specific circumstances. Any hints outside the game are nonsense.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, if you have a good hand protect it from limpers. but remember people already have chips in the pot so they are more likely to call any raise so make the raise BIG that way only good hands really call. then depending on the flop you can act.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So it seems that raising the big blind, you always either get called or raised, so it seems to be ineffective.
Even with premium hands, it seems like I just get called down then sucked out on them.
So is it ever good to raise on the BB?

I don't know what they write about it in books, because I don't read any books about poker. I always focus on the current situation at the table. Therefore, in the same situation, there may be different reactions. I'm not a robot.

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its good to raise top 7 hands in BB position

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
With premium hands you always have to bet, unless you want to cheat your opponent, which in many cases is lost because they link with decent cards, and if you don't have hands, just go and depending on how you play, see if you keep playing or fold.:angel:

K

Kenorgcom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never raise on big blind because you can just limp in unless you have AA to keep a smaller hand from winning.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no axioms in poker , any development of events is possible here! And any draw line has the right to life!

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep in mind who is calling or raising after you have bet from BB. Is this normal for this player to bet or raise consistently? Have you seen their cards from previous hands when they did this? Is this person a rock? Have they folded most of their hands preflop?

I have seen some players do this with the worst starting hands ie 72o. If it is a player like this and you have a premium starting hand, it may be worth a 3bet or shove. All of this is circumstantial and it's always possible to lose with AA to 72o depending on the community cards. Even with that possibility, your chances of having a better hand is a lot greater than theirs.

AA usually goes south for me when I play, but QQ I usually win the hand (this isn't from any specific position). I might be playing QQ better than I play AA, but that is how it goes for me. That is the reason QQ is my all-time favorite starting hand.

You should keep in mind the other players position as well. The further from the BB position, the better their starting hand should be if they are even considering playing that hand.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's ok to raise from the big. The way I see it is that you'll always be OOP so that's a disadvantage.

I

Indigo33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can raise if a call with a worse hand is expected.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends of situation. In small stacks(10-15bb) usually no reason to raise more then minraise.