_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So it seems that raising the big blind, you always either get called or raised, so it seems to be ineffective.
Even with premium hands, it seems like I just get called down then sucked out on them.
So is it ever good to raise on the BB?

T

TEIS22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing online?. If so then I feel the same. But I try to stay away from limp betting so if they raise I just re raise then they end up backing down

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it seems that raising the big blind, you always either get called or raised, so it seems to be ineffective.
Even with premium hands, it seems like I just get called down then sucked out on them.
Your thoughts on never raising on the BB are somewhat flawed.
There are a number of situations where you would not use the raise strategy such as when out of position; or when there are multiple players in the hand; or on a table with a bunch of extremely aggressive players; or having rag hands.
You need to choose your spots correctly by first understanding the styles of play from the players on your table, and understanding your position on the table and making sure you are not playing with garbage hands.
Final note: depending on the type of game you are playing on will also determine the level of extreme play-back at you, if you are playing in freerolls then you can expect constant play-backs due to they have nothing to lose, and if you are playing on very low states the same comments apply but to a lesser degree.

J

jegv04

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With premium hands you always have to bet, unless you want to cheat your opponent, which in many cases is lost because they link with decent cards, and if you do not have hands, just call and depending on how you hand, you see if you keep playing or you fold.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm bb I'm selective about what I will raise with. It's the second worst position after the flop so I have to hit the flop or have a great drawing hand to make the donk bet (betting in early position). I'm not big on the defending the blind thing either. If you have a junk hand get rid of it.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Depends on what you have, and who's limping or raising into your blinds. A lot of factors to consider.

If you adhere to never raising BB you are definitely missing out on a valuable opportunity to make big chips.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be best to call raises with card selected and get their chips. When they notice you'll be playing them all the time in that position.

guicor30

guicor30

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dear friend today online poker is very advanced and you can not guide yourself from just one strategy ... because there are effective strategies with a certain group of opponents but you have to use another strategy with other opponents.
What I would recommend is to have the largest number of players scored.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to raise against the SB for value or as a bluff. Remember you will be in position the rest of the hand so play as many of these Blind vs Blind battles as possible.,

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would try to raise from the big blind with perineum hands. It is a mistake to let a hand in that is weaker than you and beats you in for free.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not in a position to give an advice as I am loosing too much but I have read somewhere that Holding a hand like QQ KK AA or even A-K on the big blind and being raised by an other player the best we can do is to go all in and pray

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're not raising enough? Eventually the odds will catch up and your best starting hand will win more often.

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many variables to consider.Against a lag player you want to just call with hands that flop well so you dont get blown off your equity with a large 4 bet or all in.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If they are good starting hands I still would raise to get value out of the pot.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I think witht he premiums you still want to get value for your hand and size up as you are more than likely going to be playing the hand out of position.
With the bb already in there you are usually getting a better price to call in the BB and I defend pretty wide in BB spots.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends on the table.When there are a lot of limpers and I want to see a cheap flop then yea I just call. If it is between myself and the sb and I have a hand worthy of not folding then a raise or 3 bet. The small blind is the same way in my opinion.

P

piko_bianko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u have AA KK QQ and everybody limbs you SHOULD heavy bet when on big blind.
In other words when on BB only raise when you have the hand for a preflop all-in.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
everything depends on the cards I have and the analysis I have made of the players, of course, I am also very guided by my intuition, having premium hands does not mean that we will always win, there are many factors and strategies, I have increased the bets in BB sometimes wins and others do not, I always learn from my mistakes

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the position can be used in provocative methods, because in order to choose the right strategy, you need to read the strategy of the enemy's game, namely - raise a bet on the big blind to provoke opponents to action, and throw your hand if needed. .

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there - there is a time and situation for raising on the big blind but i do agree that if you have several callers, loose players or big stack fishes and you are holding a monster, there is an argument to jam to remove the fishes and extract max value from the big stack or other...
I can see your reasoning for the post and it is a good one - there have been many times we have all been in the big blind and may have QQ KK or AA - allowing a flop multiway is dangerous as many larger stacks will fish one pair or a flush or open ended draws..personally im of the opinion that i will make you pay to see a flop..and i am happy with that...

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually do not raise from the big blind except with premium hands. The reason is that I need little to get into the pot not the reason to make these hands more expensive

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes you need to protect the BB ...
but you need to see the effectiveness of moves ...
stupid move - can kill the player ...
:joyman:

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I play the hands I am dealt. If I happen to be in the big blind then so be it.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to raise with great hands and get rid of a bunch of callers. Five callers is a disaster for a hand like AA. You can't just limp with something like that. Try raising 2-3Big blinds plus one big blind for each caller and hopefully that narrows the field.