need help late late in game

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hang in there

Thanks all for your input, I found one thing that was happening. I'd get hit by a bad beat and focus on that player. It was like the other players were not there and I'd get crushed. So hope that may help some one.

Just noticed this, going on tilt can be a problem, especially with a troll. Maybe let someone else be sheriff and know that your chips are still there and you can get them back from someone else in the end if you are disciplined.

I

ivandrago

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, i just love bigstack bullies final table. Their range of cards is stupid really. They are the reason you always have a chance, even if you tiny stack. They also think you are weak if you try to steal with a raise, so always all-in, and if you just call, some of them go all-in, knowing you weak. Some say always raise, but an excetion would be calling their blind with premium hands, acting weak. Watch them go all-in and then boom! Had a lot of fun doing this to these special people :)
"No one touches my blinds!" Lol, easy to outsmart.

C

CARDMAN007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally change my play up later in the tournament getting closer to the money. If you have an average chip stack getting really close to the money you should tend to stick to nothing but premium hands. Since one wrong move and your out with the blinds being big stick to good hands.
I recommend not pushing your stack on a draw and be carefull of AKAQ since they are not made hands. If you have to push pre-flop I would recommend pocket 10's or better.
Now when you get to the final table and your short stacked just sit back and wait for a good pocket pair if you can.
About a year ago I came into the final table the shortest stack and just let the players KO each other and I just sat back and waited for good pocket pairs. It worked out for me because I finished in 3rd place. Instead of getting like 50 bucks for 10th I got like 750 for 3rd.
You really have to change you play depending on your chip stack and how close your are to the money.
Thats just my thoughts.

I totally agree and this works as long as your stack is big enough to sustain the blinds for a while and i do this method also. I made it to the final table of a $100 freeroll the other night and was the lowstack at the table and just let the other players drop out and waited for pairs or premium cards and i ended up getting 3rd place but could have easily got 1st i lost with KK against AJ offsuit he hit ace on flop and my turny was over {all in preflop}.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play carefully with high cards u have to raise at least 5bb prelop and countinue betting if u hit the flop if u miss the flop and someone raise u have to fold
Play in late positions avoid playing in early positions

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see ure a tight player in late....thats cool because u willl go deep into mtts but if ure down to 20bb shoves any good cards...premium or position. but also tight game. dont call too much!

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to combine the advice above.

1st, play aggressive earlier so you aren't a short stack later, but sometimes that doesn't happen....

2nd, shorten the table. The value of your hands goes up when you have fewer villains. You should be raising on the button and in the SB all the time, not just when you have a good hand. Adding the blinds and antes will really help till you get a premium hand. Don't play marginal hands from middle position.

This is where "gap theory" comes in. It takes a stronger hand to call a raise than make one. You can raise with 72o but it is difficult to call a raise with 72os.

D

dimnik9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is there any good book explaining the strategy of the late game in a tournament?

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in late game you will need alot of luck. So gl with that.

Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read Harrington on holdem. At least the first 2. They will help a lot.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very basic solution- keep your stack around 20-25 BBs in middle to late phase. Do not shove if your stack is around 20-25 BBs. Play position wise. Stick to Better hands. Do no chase flush or straight draw till river. Eat small stacks when position and hands favour you. You will easily move to the final table.
In final table game is totally different. Here patience, skills, position and hand picking plays great importance.
Here you need to play wise and cool. There is no need of pre flop shoving.
Best of luck.

H

Haanski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I think shoving any premium hands late with 20bb or less is the best play regardless of position.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read Harrington on holdem. At least the first 2. They will help a lot.
Great read. I learned a lot from it. It's very well written. One of the best manuals to learn poker.

Top 10 Games