Multi-Table Tournament Strategy

Hackerosito

Hackerosito

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly, we should all be aware that we must evolve while playing a tournament at different times, My break point is when I'm in the money in the first 5 places, I change the strategy and I take more risks and I tend to be more aggressive, many players Maybe they thought how they were playing, they are shocked and confused when they saw you changed the way they played.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I agree completely with the article and Ryan's professional additions!And I am trying to follow all the concepts during my MTT games.

The only different thing I am applying, regardless how strange it looks, is that I am constantly observing my stack size. If I am above average stack size, I am used to play more hands, chasing some luck. If I am at the average level or beneath it, I am keeping TAG/ nitty style :)

jhunnyorcruz

jhunnyorcruz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
awesome article, alot of info that can help, in situations i had tough time, thinking of what to do, this cleafred some stuff up a bit.., thanks for the article

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice article!In a multi-table tournament's hardest is survive bubble. Stay focus and try to understand movement's of your opponent's. Just be better! :D

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this article! "A tournament is a marathon, not a sprint" - it`s really the main concept of all MTT! If you want to play such kind of tournaments, particular calculate the duration of this tourney. For example you havn`t enough time or want to sleep, in that case is very bad idea to buy MTT entry. It`s just wasting of your money! Always count your big blinds (or use soft, that shows them), it would help you to follow the advices from the article.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This article is true for most basic (non-turbo; no rebuys) freezout tourneys.

However these days the sites are mostly promoting high variance tourneys with unlimited rebuys, long latereg periods and a structure with few spots paid.

I mean choosing the tourney to play is a very important aspect of the game and it will dictate the style of play to have a chance to win some cash.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the article is a good outline for players who are just beginning to play mtts For players with more experience with deep stack play you can play your strong hands aggressively and build pots to maximize the amount of chips you win in the early stages. This allows you to withstand variance later in the tournament. You should only employ this strategy for the early stages if you’re comfortable playing post flop.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The objective in these long tournaments MTT is to advance as much as possible and have a little patience. When advancing the tournament you can find among the players with the highest stack or those with the lowest stack and that will depend on how you play in that stage, when you reach the bubble with a short stack you must wait for the right moment to act, in order to have an opportunity to stay alive in the tournament.

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's impossible to write a worthy article on this topic. There are many strategies. Let us share them conditionally with the old and the new school. In both styles there are successful players. It's impossible to predict everything in poker, so you should always understand, at least, what you are doing in this hand and why. In time, you will begin to understand as others think. Not the style wins tournaments, but the master.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before reading this article, with the great summary chart, my MTT play was rather haphazard, alternating between Stanley Kowalsky and a deer in the headlights. Not the best approach, because both can get their tushies kicked. I enjoyed the article, and I know that it is not gospel, but guideline.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article thank you :D I read it few times and I totally agree and it was very helpful for me .
We have to focus a lot about the patience part because it's really so important for poker players and it's a necessity if you want to reach high levels and get great results .

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for this guide. This is a very nicely written article and is incredibly informative.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing how to play at different stretches of a tournament is an necessary skill if you want to be a good player. Even if your game is super solid in one or more fields of a MTT, if your game is lacking in just one field you are going to run into trouble. I find that its best to look at your HH and determine when in tournaments you are losing the biggest % of your stack. Once you find this out, you can correlate that back to this guide and figure out if you should be playing different.

I really enjoyed the strategy summary chart, as it is easily digestible and quick to reference back to at any time.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To play in mtt, you need to have a lot of patience if you are planning to finish high.
I try to choose tournaments without long late registration and without add-ons

D

dawgin2k16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Strategy

The MTT guide is fine for players who can adapt to that kind of playing.

MY chips are gold....i want to use them wisely. I have n problem waiting 20 hands for a good decent hand. Im pretty much a TAG player thou i feel comfortable with that style.

S

Shanek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can strongly agree with this play style for the most part,,,but I feel when the bubble is bout to pop,thats the time to bully and steal blinds no one wonts to be the bubble guy or girl so last likely to call when bulling ond bluffing.. mabey its just me tho?

B

Badbunny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never before could someone make a living playing 10¢/25¢, but you can bet your bottom dollar there are more than a few people 20-tabling "the quarter" now for a tidy monthly sum.
Many people - mostly live poker nits - believe that multi-tabling is a waste of time.
Their rationale is that when playing multiple tables, it's impossible to give each decision the required amount of thought.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the article.. Phil Laak once said you should add 10% to your stack per level live games

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing truer in tournaments than being able to lose a tournament in the early stages and unable to win. But accumulating a big chip stack early on certainly puts you in a much favorable position. Although encouraging 20 or so big blinds to tighten up at the bubble is interesting and I’m not so sure it’s ideal. Shoving 20 bigs can definitely be profitable in many situations, especially in position. Do you guys tighten up at the bubble if you have 20 bigs?

K

khimij25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how best to start playing? go to vabank or moderately