cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
all the instructions are really very valid, but what always awakens me the attention to the issue of having a lot of patience that is key to success
I have always had a lot of trouble putting the theoretical teachings into practice, this kind of article has helped me a lot

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice thread!
Only problem I have:
- play as per the article
- I fear to become too predictable when playing a strict strategy
I think from the MTT's middle we need to use the collected info on opponents and pick the fights carfully, this:
1) brings us chips
2) make us less predictable

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a llike to play multi boards, but I think that the key factor is to play patiently and wait for moments and premium handswhen you will increase the stack .. and stay calm if you lose more chips in one hand (30-50%), many players after one such lost can lose patience and very quickly lose the remaining chips.. And when you have the bigest stack at the table you need to play cautiously and do not play too much hand and waste easy your chips..

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All right. Unfortunately, in many rooms of online poker there are fewer "correct" multi-table tournaments with deep initial stacks. When the player has >100 BB in the beginning and there are even a few dozen hands of the game before the stack drops to 30-40BB due to the increase in the size of the blind. Much more often you can see tournaments in the poker rooms with short stacks and fast or even very fast growing blind. This strategy is not applicable to such hyper-turbo tournaments, and the game itself turns into a lottery where success will depend on how quickly you get a good card, and whether your pair of aces stand in multi-pot against 3-5 players in a hurry to play.

isaac

isaac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This article is a pretty basic rundown of your average MTT starting with 5000 chips. I agree with some of the points such as how to play at the beginning where you have the freedom to limp practically as much as you want due to the blind to your stack ratio being so small. However, I disagree with tightening up during bubble action. I feel like since most players are playing premium hands only, and are scared to see too many flops, now is the time to earn some bonus chips and stick it out for the long haul. Steal those blinds and don't be afraid to push, after all just making the money and winning the tournament are very different amounts of cash on the line.

Just my two cents.

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the article, everything is described logically and correctly. To double my stack in the initial stage of the tournament will certainly be pretty good, but I try to maintain my stack in the average value for all players of the tournament. This allows me to be a threat even to the chip leader and at the same time I do not have to do any unnecessary movements.
This strategy allows me to save strength in the late stage of the tournament, which really happens to be protracted. When everything does not go according to plan, then you have to survive even with a minimal stack. The style of the game in this case resembles the stage of push-fold.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The overall opening premise is good, the early stage play section is fine, the rest of the article leaves a lot to be desired.

Mid and late stages your chips are valueable, and you do need to play carefully, but you shouldnt only be playing premiums. The only time you should be is when nearing the $$ bubble with shorter stack.

Also the rule of only opening hands that can call 3b is wrong, this is only true on an insanely agressive table.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The overall opening premise is good, the early stage play section is fine, the rest of the article leaves a lot to be desired.

Mid and late stages your chips are valueable, and you do need to play carefully, but you shouldnt only be playing premiums. The only time you should be is when nearing the $$ bubble with shorter stack.

Also the rule of only opening hands that can call 3b is wrong, this is only true on an insanely agressive table.

Thanks for the input and clarification Ryan!

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the MTT tournaments one of my favorites, at the beginning of the poker I played many MTT as I lost in the first levels ... in my opinion these tournaments have to study the players depending on the entry see them so aggresive they are or if they are very conservative, since the idea is to get to the prizes and always stay in the middle and wait for the right moment for when the villains make a mistake there to steal their chips .. in short the idea is to be conservative and play premium and even cards depending on the bets.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nice article.
I think it's important for the poker player to completely master these concepts before venturing to imitate that super aggressive player he saw on television or a Youtube video.
A solid game is the key to making a profit in the game. What I always see in tournaments, especially in the early stages, are weak players making overbets, rasing almost every hand and trying to be the big man on the table.
I hardly see these players in the list of those who got ITM.

I

igoraht

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good article. I would add a luck factor. it happens that all you do is

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
certainly the article perfectly explains all the stages. well, every player for a long time of playing psychologically can not stand and complete all the strategies. in this case, my advice is to soberly assess the situation and not be led on provocation.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, MTT tournaments I play consistently, some players do not like them who prefer Cash or SnG, I play the first 2 hours (if I can) a small number of hands and if there are 2-3 players in hand (together with me), I rarely play ollin right now, when I have good cards I'm going, 3-4 BB, only after the end of the registration is completed and I get to know the players (although this is rarely, as you move them constantly) I'm going to pick up the roles every time I'm in a position to attack, and when I'm close to entering the prizes I do not attack big stacks, I tried it so I dropped a few times when I entered the prize.:rock:

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks CC for this interesting article!
What I would like to mention additionally about using HUD during a tournament, it is also interesting for me to see the percentage of limps of a player and the attempst to try to steal a pot. As well how likely one will fold to an attempt of steal. But I guess, this is a topic for itself how to use a HUD and take infos of it.

What is a little bit missing in this article, is the play at the final table itself.
If I am not completely short stacked there and have a medium stack, I play often very tight during this phase.
Once I heard, it is recommendable to stay at least among the last 5 players, because there is compared the most money left.
Therefore, I often wait some time untill others eliminate them each other, before I turn on more aggression again.

K

karlperron88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i liked the article.. and read it twice..

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think that patience is key in all the tournament, not only in the money.Early, when the blind are small, it can be easy to lost patience.

milencenov

milencenov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does your playing style differ from the Strategy Summary Chart in the article?

In MTTs, my playing style is almost the same as described in the article.
The only difference is the Early stage.
I don't feel myself comfortable with speculative hands and I avoid playing them. Also, I make the mistake to not keep the pots small, and that costs me dearly sometimes.

However, the above mentioned is only valid for tournaments with buy-in.

In freerolls, especially the CC freerolls on PS, I play like a hybrid between donkey, fish and poker troll. :D

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to play more hand when you are in position and when you are out of position its better no to raise even with an aj for ex because you feel bad when you miss the flop and you can be in a tight situation

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article! Describe well the phases of a tournament !! as they say, with focus and faith and discipline everyone can get there.

6D62

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
early limp, minraise, setmine i also love to shove w pocket aces or equiv.

Anyways, cause confusion where you dont have to pay much, if youre early super loose aggr and then tighten up you still confuse the hud players and whoever tries to read you. The deeper it gets, the more tight aggressive, on bubble theres only fold or allin. after bubble rinse repeat early towards ft. Well, depends a lot on the game and players how this varies but afterall, have seen some ft's this way.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This article is very important for players who plays CC Club freerolls cause the simplicity in thus article can help in gaining not only one-time success but do good deeprun constanly.Every body can check forum leader board and top players there play the same game as it is in article.Very interesting and useful information!

kena3000

kena3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy MTT the most. The articles is giving good advices of how to survive them but what about to win?. I mean there is sometimes that you just not double but make at the top 10 of chips leader. Lets say the tournament begin with 1500chips as CC Freeroll and you have made 2 double up and few hands win and lose some, so your chips are 6000 by level 3 when is 25/50. Now your BB are 120. In order to the advice of the article you should play more hands with small pots. Since the tournaments it is really long yet to be at the Bubble, i have used the strategy of being the bully of the table buuuuut even the weakers players got lucky so my advantage start to be my weakness. And the pile of chips goes smaller and smaller. Lets say i lost 1k now i have 5k as the blinds goes up lets to 50/100 now i only have 50BB. If 2 levels frome here I havent made it and i have lost another 1K, i'm short as blinds are 100/200 and with 3k i will have just 15BB.I would like to play better and take those 6K and grow them not lose them. What should i do? I would just play as i have the starting 1500chip?

Last edited:
demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Another nice article .MTT need patience early stages are easy ,you dont want to risk for nothing your stack, blinds are not worth it .Bubble time and ITM when you are short stack needs premium hands .I have to work better on the ITM stage ...

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Considered all round, this is a very useful Strategy Summary Chart in this matter. At least for me. I like this one: Success in a multi-table tournament demands that you are a master of several different playing styles. Smartly said! Wouldn't you think?
Bringing into comparison my playing style with described concept, obviously i can say that when i have achieved a final table that is my way to go! Fall short of ITM, whatever the reason, pretty sure that didn't put enough efforts and didn't get lucky. It's very good for the game in tournaments to have his own strategy but I focus extensively for every separate deal at the table and care about it for right now. Giving full attention to each time while playing hands, you have to consider whole gathered information at the table - position, stack size blinds, and depending of this you need to find much suitable way to earn or save chips.

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a bad article, for newcomers accurately.