Gian Totaro

Gian Totaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What do you think ? For me the answer is yes... that makes you different from everyone, because anyone plays with cards, and I believe that you can't just wait for the best cards, like AA AK KK.
Obviously sometimes they go wrong... but it's necessary! If you do well you can win a tournament thanks to that. I share this because I had an experience recently. A very big mistake of mine!

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I had this pair of AA and my opponent just raised my stake to the end, as a result, he had 23))))))

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game theory says that bluffs aren't to make money in the long run, they are supposed to be break even. As your bluff will usually not get through every time.

Value bets is what makes you win. They drive your value.

So I'd go with 'No' on your question.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In regular tournament, if you don't bluff, you have a small chance to win so much, obvious you can win sometime, but never gonna be constantly

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you consider all pots I think only about 20 percent would be won by bluffing. A pot that is won by a player bluffing with the best hand isn't included.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What do you think ? For me the answer is yes... that makes you different from everyone, because anyone plays with cards, and I believe that you can't just wait for the best cards, like AA AK KK.
Obviously sometimes they go wrong... but it's necessary! If you do well you can win a tournament thanks to that. I share this because I had an experience recently. A very big mistake of mine!
No...and no

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a statistic that is hard to gather, but definitely bluffing is a fine skill in poker which can determine the game of an invidiual.

T

TheDealer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no poker without bluffing, but that's why we love this game, because everyone plays it the way they want, for me AK is the hand that I play very hard whether I have contact or not!

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on how you see it, if it is true that most of the time it is more likely not to connect something on the table and to win you have to bluff

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think every hand is won this way, when you're in a pot for a large sum each person tries to play their best cards. for small and medium boats it could work.

PokerEdge

PokerEdge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
It depends on many things. Where is the tournament, amount of stacks, position, opponent, the texture of the flop-board.....
I think that in the long run, if you want to be successful, you have to bluff, so that it doesn't just depend on the dealer.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to learn to bluff, because I don't do it often.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is necessary to make a bluff, I don't know how many hands I win because I have the best hand and how many after a bluff, I didn't take into account such a thing, but the bluff is indispensable in my game

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is important to play not just by opening certain hands, but by playing with ranges

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Let's just say that without bluffs, your value bets won't be as profitable. There is an optimal bluffing frequency that results in the best payouts for your value bets. Even with a simple example from the solver, you can see where the spectrum is taken in a simplified form: hands AA + part of the hands 72o, - and it is shown that EV is higher with bluffs.

P. S. Sklansky also has a calculation in the book, which shows how EV increases when adding some bluffs. Or maybe Moshman had it in the book on HU, i don’t remember exactly...

B

Bettingsocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GR
Chips
I think the whole point of poker is bluffing

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game theory says that bluffs aren't to make money in the long run, they are supposed to be break even. As your bluff will usually not get through every time.

Value bets is what makes you win. They drive your value.

So I'd go with 'No' on your question.
In theory bluffs are profitable, if you can find spots, where people overfold. However in micro and low stakes online games such spots are rare especially against recreational players. If someone put up $5 to have some fun, they are typically not interested in making big folds. So in general bluffing is not very important in online micro and low stakes games, and definitely not nearly as important as getting max value from your good hands. Or for that matter being good at snapping off other players bluffs while getting away cheaply, when you are beat.

However if you never bluff, and your opponents catch on to this, then they can exploit you by never calling, unless they beat some of your value bets. So in theory the purpose of bluffing is to force people to regularly call you with bluffcatchers. And if you play against the same people all the time, typically in cash games or SnGs, then you probably should throw in some more bluffs against the regs to avoid getting exploited.

Finally its important to say, that flop and turn bets are rarely pure bluffs, since we usually have at least some equity when called. And if we are C-betting with A high, we sometimes have the best hand, if our opponent missed as well, and we can even get called by worse, if they are drawing or floating. So the classic flop C-bet in particular is not really a bluff most of the time.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is impossible to play poker without bluffing, of course, this is part of the game, but as for most hands, is it possible to win - I think not, just because your bluff will lose sooner or later, because when bluffing, you need to play your hands aggressively and easily fall into a trap

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if you want to win a tournament you must have everything. Well playing, good bluff and luck.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Bluffs, like value bets, cannot be judged by the result. Just because your bluff was shown in a hand doesn't mean it was bad. Villain may have one of the best hands in his range in this hand. You can't bluff with very small bets. Those of you who play the micros have probably seen fish betting 1bb all the time at least once. It looks, of course, very funny, considering that sometimes they do it with complete garbage. Now, this doesn't work. At lower stakes, you can often determine the profitability of a bluff on the flop and turn just by looking at the texture of the board and the number of opponents. You don't have to know much about your opponents, or even look at your own hand. The real strength is the texture of the board.

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should see bluffs as a part of the game but as the way to win most hands. Just sometimes it can make a difference but in the long run you will loose will bluffing.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for sure since most board don´t hit anybody

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I don't know...Maybe hands with small bets, but really big hands are won with good cards. That is my experience.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands