Limping UTG with Monsters....Late

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a good idea limping in can be called by anything not worth the risk I have seen too many caught like that

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you need to limp from UTG. But for the balance, if you already playing a few hands in this way.

P

Pigonas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you think that you have more chances to win whith AA or another pair, when you are 1x1 or 1x5??, sure is 1x1!, so DONT LIMP!!

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have players that are likely going to raise I would limp aa utg, if everyone has been playing limp call poker I would just shove my entire stack usually any ace queen or any pair will call you.

D

David Rima

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some fascinating reading...

My take is simple, there is no guaranteed winner pre-flop. If you haven't shoved A,A and lost you haven't played enough poker to have an educated opinion.

Since no combination is a guaranteed winner you can't be wrong. To me the real answer hasn't been mentioned. The real reason to limp UTG with A,A is based on relative stack size. If your a big stack at the table and one or more players are short stacked than a limp will either warn them off or encourage them based on your image.

If you've been a bit of a bully or are viewed as a LAG than you might very well catch someone looking to shove thinking your looking to see a flop with suited connectors etc...

I do agree with the OP that it's more common than not for either HJ, cutoff or button to raise and more common than not to get a 3bet and potentially a 4 bet from the SB or BB...

So the real question is do you prefer to try and isolate 1 on 1 initially or are you OK with the possibility of going 3 ways (or more) based on stack size. I've been all in 4 ways more than once limping AA (mostly cash games but twice in live tournaments).

To me the bigger your stack the more you want to cut someone from the herd and the smaller your stack the more valuable it is to get multiple callers...

A

abbershey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes i like to limp in as it leaves me in stealth mode

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let me offer something even more mind blowing up for you to digest. Limp early in tournaments with AA in early position. Here is my rationale. Early the blinds are very low. People are calling behind to crack your ass. If the blind is $100 and raise it to $300, you will get 3 to 4 callers...how do you navigate that? How many times have you witnessed AA get cracked for a big pot early, crippling the initial raiser. I say limp with AA...if you get 5 other limpers, then play accordingly...its only a pair and its early. If someone raises late...make a VERY BIG BET....that will clear the crumbs and put you out of position with one player with a big hand too! I welcome the discussion

OMG WOW!

... I'm at a loss for words

Attachments

• blown.gif
    blown.gif
    178.7 KB · Views: 33
S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Vey good discussion. Popular opinion is really to almost never do this. But I've done it and been very successful before... I've also done it with 35 bbs and after a flop bet and an opponent raises, I sometimes have to lay it down.

If you can play well post flop and be willing to let it go, then I can see limping. However, you limp and the flop comes 478hh, and you check, opponent bets, another opponent calls. What are you doing with AdAs. Are you reraising, and if you do, you better lay it down when someone raises you!

Sometimes its good to play different than the way most players are playing... But a min raise will either pick up a pot (sb / bb and all the antes) Any pot you when late in tournaments is great... You wan action, but Never, I mean never go broke in a limped pot. Especially with 30-40 BBs. If you have 15BBs, then you can decide you are getting it in on any flop, that's okay i think.

Good luck peoples

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think this is villan and stack size dependent, dont think you should do this with deep effective stacks

M

MREM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with it early in? Don't really like it.
Limping with it when the players in blinds have shallow stacks and you feel like they will go all-in very often with worse hands to try and steal it pre-flop if noone raises? Probably good sometimes as long as your stack is big enough.

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i once limp a pair of Aces UTG, then in the flop the cards was 3 5 6, i raise BB call, turn Q, i raise again BB call, river 10 i go all in, BB calls, he got a 3 to 7 straight so from now on i never ever limp a top hand

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I need to rearrange this a bit. How do you play?? That is what you need to ask yourself. Do you open 3x UTG with 75s T9s, 66, etc...is your raising range balanced? Probably not..

Early in tournaments 3 x raises EP usually mean strong hands from most players. Very few players are balanced.

I'm always calling those players with my T9, 56, etc...my stack is so deep and it makes sense to try and get them to commit lots.

Now I'm sure I will get people to say I love playing against you and welcome your call....can you say you haven't been crushed by a set or 2 pair on a seemingly great board for ranges? :) Be very wary brothers and sisters...I'm out to get your stack ;)

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deep

think this is villan and stack size dependent, dont think you should do this with deep effective stacks

Te...I think this is the only time you should do it.
When you are short, a shove means you have any pair, suited connectors, suited gaps, and broadway cards. You are getting looked up...so shoving AA gets its desired result. Limping or small raises send off all kinds of signals!

When you are deep stacked, you raise 3x...2 callers...board comes T84 rainbow...you bet 1/2 pot...middle guy calls, and Button shoves for half your stack....fold? What if he just pots it? Fold? Doubtful...

Now my scenario... Limp with AA, MP calls...Button makes it 4x...you get the idea..
Next scenerio...Limp....MP calls, Button calls, SB completes...BB checks..same flop...you bet 1/2 pot...2 callers...turn is J...2 hearts on board. You check...checks to BB, he bets 1/2 pot...you check raise...he calls. You can check call here, check fold...take any line you want...but you do have a good idea that you are probably toast...move on

I doubt you lose half your stack or anywhere close to it.
Its been a while since I've had PokerTracker and been able to see results in all positions with AA. I'd like to see someone else's stats over a large sample and see what your results are both raising in EP and limping.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still prefer raising AA. The object is to get as much money in the pot ASAP PREFLOP with AA. More money you can get in the pot preflop, the easier it is to get your whole stack in the middle with AA post flop. (Stack to Pot Ratio : SPR)

Limping AA just sounds ultra nitty if you're playing scared money post flop.

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ultranit

I still prefer raising AA. The object is to get as much money in the pot ASAP PREFLOP with AA. More money you can get in the pot preflop, the easier it is to get your whole stack in the middle with AA post flop. (Stack to Pot Ratio : SPR)

Limping AA just sounds ultra nitty if you're playing scared money post flop.

I hear what you are saying but it doesn't usually work that way. If you are open shoving you are guaranteed to be facing maybe only one player to the flop. That play seems ultra donkish btw. Mind you we are talking in early position with AA...I'm not talking in position against other players.

Let me use your SPR explanation to further clarify:
You are UTG and you limp..blinds are 75/150...you have the starting 20k stack ...5 people see a flop...Pot is 750....

You raise UTG 3 x (450) and get 3 callers ...Pot is 1800....

What is your continuation bet post flop on both?

I would argue that both have potentially disastrous consequences early in the tournament. I would argue that both scenarios each player probably has the same hand. How do you navigate? When you limp, no one knows your hand. I was taught to ask with your chips. I think it is more likely that someone in late position will look to pick up dead money with a nice raise when you limp early in a tournament ....more often than when you 3x early and have callers. If JJ+ and AK/AQ are on the button or behind you...you will get raised whether you limp or you raise.
If I raise in LP with AK, AQ, JJ, QQ...and the guy that limped reraises me...I am not immediately putting him on AA.....if he 3x's...and he reraises me, KK/AA has to be in your wheelhouse!

PS. I am in no way trying to convince everyone that you should adopt this. I'm just trying to broaden your thinking.

Secondly, I have never been called a nit...so I doubt this is an ultra nit play

Sil3ntness, I would love to know how much you have earned in tournament play. You can PM me if you'd like

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't calling you directly a nit. No need to limp monsters when you get set over set.
---

Merge, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $89.59 (89.6 bb)
BB: $91.42 (91.4 bb)
Hero (UTG+1): $100 (100 bb)
UTG+2: $55.01 (55 bb)
MP1: $100 (100 bb)
MP2: $119.98 (120 bb)
MP3: $174.76 (174.8 bb)
CO: $32.63 (32.6 bb)
BTN: $79.77 (79.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K
heart4.gif
K
club4.gif

Hero raises to $3, 6 folds, SB calls $2.50, BB folds

Flop: ($7) 3
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $3.50, SB calls $3.50

Turn: ($14) K
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $10.50, SB calls $10.50

River: ($35) 7
spade4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $35, Hero raises to $83 and is all-in, SB calls $37.59 and is all-in

Results: $180.18 pot ($4 rake)
Final Board: 3
club4.gif
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
K
diamond4.gif
spade4.gif

SB showed 8
club4.gif
heart4.gif
and lost (-$89.59 net)
Hero showed K
heart4.gif
K
club4.gif
and won $176.18 ($86.59 net)

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late in Multi Table tournaments when the blinds are huge limping big hands can be very profitable.

Here's the thinking, limping bloats the pot even further and induces action. Players will see this as a weak play and shove mediocre hands to try to steal the pot.

Before everyone starts to chime in, I am not saying you should limp always and I'm not saying early or middle stages this is a good strategy.

Also if somehow you are at a very passive table with 2 tables left in a 500+ person tournament and 5 people limp behind when you limp AA then you will probably not win the hand.

If anyone in this thread says it is a horrible bad play then they either don't understand the point I'm making or are just an ignorant fish themselves and are incapable of having a meaningful conversation abut poker.

I could see your point. Later stages are a shove fest at times. Especially lower buy-in daily. You know someone is going to shove, why not wait and see who it will be. And it depends on stack sizes. If there are a lot of short stacks you know they're going to pick that random ace and play it. I wouldn't want to see more than three players in the pot though if I had a big monster. At a certain stage I wouldn't say it is a bad play at all.

NBDownOng

NBDownOng

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never limp from UTG, maybe from UTG+1 or UTG+2

DontAskWh

DontAskWh

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well , if you will limp AA from UTG , and then 4-5 opponets will call you , and hitting the best combination with J9 or 47. I think this won't be a profitable game , but they can think that you didn't have anything , and they will decide to make big raise to steal the blinds ;) I think this will be a nice profitable game , but its depends how will play your opponets , but I think most of them will make a raise ;) This is a nice idea to play a monster hand with limp from UTG, anyway sometimes you will think why i didnt make raise =) when they will join on the bank with limp as you , but sometimes you will think this is nice he making raise , and you will have two options to re-raise or to call.
Thanks.

Gustavix320

Gustavix320

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes worth assume somes risks against ur hand than making a raising on a passible table who probably all folds

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When "late" in a tourney (in the money/final table) I make a point to vary my game widely, specifically to throw people off and trap.

I find early position limping is very effective late, since blinds are high and stealing is alot more important.
Be VERY careful if the SB/BB get into the hand unraised as there is nothing more tragic then a raggy flop that hit 2 pair+ for the blinds. I dont worry about other positional callers, but a free BB flop can be any 2 cards.

I find most often its that dynamic that leads to an unhappy endings.

S

Steve_StudAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I can't even get my AA to hold H2H, fck that limping sh-it. But I see your thinking. I have won some pretty big pots with AA when my PFR was not big enough to get it H2H and I had a few callers. I tend to fire on the flop then. Those rockets tend to catch people by surprise. But I have also been many times caught by the flopped set or the 8 5 flush draw that may have folded PF.

The strategy IMHO wins few big pots, does win lots of small pots, but loses monster pots.

What cards do you think are calling the big bet you speak of? 2 pair, flopped sets, 4 to a draw, made hands IMHO. Now your AA is nothing but a 2 outer and the villian might already be ahead, or sitting with 19 outs with 2 cards to come.

AA IMHO must be played heads up. I'm not looking to take down the pot PF with AA. I'm looking to make a bet big enough to remove the junk but get a caller with a speculative hand or a big pair. Should someone 3 bet, well they get my entire stack back PF, then they hit their 2 outer and I'm searching for another tournament usually. But that is how I play the rockets. It's a loser play, but that's what I do unless I'm 12 BB, then it's just shoved.

Just 2 cents from a losing player, so take it with a grain of salt of course.

Last edited: