TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think this is villan and table image dependent

if you know villans will attack limps or squeeze then sure, but if you have been playing like a nit, limping under the gun should throw up alarms

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
generally I agree, just a word of causion: "dont outplay your self"
to much limping with AA,KK,AQs... can klet hands like J8o limp in to and ... get you beat down wit some wierd street or set

Z

zawvc1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you shouldn't limp because there is an old saying the more people you let in the higher probability you will get beat.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not nice idea against passive table and opponents, who aren't aggressive preflop. You mentioned the example with 5 limps after you. If you have some big stack aggressive players, it's great idea to hit them.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do this sometimes when im seated at a table full of ppl i know-or have played against for years-like someone said they have a nit image,thats me as well so i normally raise with aces pre-when im seated with the ppl i know, i limp occasionaly so i can take advantage of the image they have of me-in a reg mtt with unkown ppl i think its a mistake to limp aces,letting a villian with a crap hand see the flop cheap can only lead to disaster-im not against a small raise pre with aces hoping for a push all in or someone after my raise re-raising me-it def is villian and table dependant

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Profitable in the right situations, but do not get over attached to your hand post flop. Have the ability to think thru hands well and the discipline to fold a "big" hand when you're beat. But this is advice for any hand you play.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me table dynamics and position is really important. If I don't have a handle on the players at the table yet I am raising 2x-3x blind and looking for someone to push me if I am in early. I am happy just taking the blinds, but this is due to my perception that if I limp there will be too many callers and my strong hand will get cracked, whether that's my reality or just my perception I am not really sure. But I do find myself playing as you suggest limping at odd times with big hands the reward can be worth it for sure

hyrum

hyrum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for all of the different opinions; will try some strategies and see what works best for me.

T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously if the table is very aggressive limping monsters can be very profitable if you can predict them shoving over your limp lightly. With that being said you always have to proceed with caution with this type of strategy. If you are not balanced in your range and decide to only limp monsters you will be exploited by good players who will limp behind and outplay you postflop.

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me offer something even more mind blowing up for you to digest. Limp early in tournaments with AA in early position. Here is my rationale. Early the blinds are very low. People are calling behind to crack your ass. If the blind is $100 and raise it to $300, you will get 3 to 4 callers...how do you navigate that? How many times have you witnessed AA get cracked for a big pot early, crippling the initial raiser. I say limp with AA...if you get 5 other limpers, then play accordingly...its only a pair and its early. If someone raises late...make a VERY BIG BET....that will clear the crumbs and put you out of position with one player with a big hand too! I welcome the discussion

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a hyper,a turbo mtts is profitable...but in a mtt with 15 min blind is not...

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is very dangerous play to be honest. Weak hands may end up in the hand, and what then? Say - you got your AA on 10 9 6 rainbow, and you are facing a big raise, what to do?

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I know some limp with AA , I know against specific players and carefully played can be very profitable , but I don't have the necessary experience to try it .

Until now how many times I tried to limp or slow play AA I lost big time and I don't want to taste this defeat again , I mean my AA or a monster hand offered so easily to the villain to get it cracked , better raise big , till I learn sth better .

Saying ''AA limping from early position can be profitable '' means nth , we need examples , hands played , some references on youtube plays , maybe .

C

crdalchemy93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will not say that it is a horrible play. infect I remember around 2003 this use to be used quite often. My question is do you also limp with other hands UTG or do you open raise 99% of the time and only limp AA?

But what do you do when you get five people to the flop? do you check fold your AA check call lead out and fold to a raise. I know your answer will depend on the board but I feel like you are losing value in that spot whatever you do, i.e. you fold the best hand or you call when your crushed.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know some limp with AA , I know against specific players and carefully played can be very profitable , but I don't have the necessary experience to try it .

Until now how many times I tried to limp or slow play AA I lost big time and I don't want to taste this defeat again , I mean my AA or a monster hand offered so easily to the villain to get it cracked , better raise big , till I learn sth better .

Saying ''AA limping from early position can be profitable '' means nth , we need examples , hands played , some references on youtube plays , maybe .

Ok you want my personal experience......
its not a rescent one, i was being coached on MTTs and it was late stage of the tournament, my coach says "i have notes on player x, he likes to limp his AA / KK"

a lil down the line im on like 12bb, he limps and im sitting on a pair of 10s
even though my notes told me he limps from UTG with that hand, my agressive shoves at this stage of the tourny sent me all in and he called with his AA

the situation that i needed my double up meant more to me then my notes, and when i was knocked out my coach said "i told you a limp UTG means monster, at least i know my notes are up to date"
the morale here was even with notes ppl will shove at this stage that were refering too

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would never limp with that, always raise/reraise

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think this is a villan dependent move, and if you have been playing tight it will probably set off alarms if you limp utg

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you don't get married to your hand post flop (deep stacked).

Limping strong hands should be a low frequency though. Say raise it 2 out of 3 times and limp one time.

B

besece

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a valid strategy. However there is always the risk of somebody getting lucky.

So besides the table dynamic, your position in perspective of the dealer is also relevant.

I personally like to do a min raise. That will trigger off the medium hands also, but also will get the lucky draws out.

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping

I would never limp with that, always raise/reraise

I think its dangerous to be ""always" in anything. Balance your range. Most of the time late in a tourney I am raising any playable hand 3x EP. This keeps my range balanced. Early in a tourny, however, limping AA can be very profitable. Raising AA will get at least 3 callers and look out!

S

Stonwy1991

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with limping utg. Just have to keep small pots if your hand is worthless. Can't stay married to a hand

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhapse, balance is the key. Anyway, online AA hand can be very bad hand after limping.

hyrum

hyrum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate all of the good advice. I'm learning a lot. I think I "limp" too often.

C

chng1t

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping with hand like AA is a possible play. When somebody shoves over you - this is great. Sometimes you will win huge in multiway pot. BUT
what do you think people will shove over you? mostly top hands, and a bit more, so almost the same effect as if you would raise and call re-shove. AA are bad in multiway pot and you will not win enough of he times. I believe the result will be a little worse in the long run comparing to open raising and with higher variance. And in tournaments we want to avoid high variance

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping was once upon a time a playing trend and it was profitable. However since the playstyle has changed it is not around frequent. Anw this play style is pretty useful if you r considered as a TAG player on the table.