Limp

Fernando Lopes

Fernando Lopes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I've always heard from many pros that playing Limp is totally wrong. I acctualy desagree. ( But I'm a new poker player, and I need opinions on this.)
I don't think we should take it to the extreme, but I think there are rare occasions when limping can be viable.
Sometimes, I limp when I'm in middle position, and with a questionable hand.
Is it totally wrong to limp, or can we have specific occasions that are viable?

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course like all Poker decisions, Limping depends upon your stack, your position, your opponents and of course your cards, however I have found repeatedly that Limping when holding a strong hand is usually non productive as you let weaker hands in cheaply and of course the variance comes in and the worst hands win...I have seen AA limp and wonder why they get beat by 78 or such, Limping open in my opinion is not a good strategy, however you know what they say about opinions "they are just like A-holes, everyone has one". good luck

DegenerateSheep

DegenerateSheep

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BE
Chips
I've always heard from many pros that playing Limp is totally wrong. I acctualy desagree. ( But I'm a new poker player, and I need opinions on this.)
I don't think we should take it to the extreme, but I think there are rare occasions when limping can be viable.
From a strategical standpoint, the problem with limping is that if you only do it with questionable hands, people will figure out that when you raise, your hands are strong, and when you limp, your hands are weak. So to not get run over by observant opponents you would need also limp enough strong hands to protect your limps with weak hands, which reduces the amount of money you win with the strong hands.

That makes limping overall not a great strategy. There are a few exceptions however:

- Limping on the Button is a viable strategy, and you can probably find limping ranges that work online.
- If limps get permanently raised because your table is very agressive, you can limp-trap with your big hands if you feel like people will fall for that. It could lead to huge payouts on your big hands, but who knows, you could've gotten paid out as well while raising. Do not limp with weak/questionable hands if the table is actively attacking limpers
- When you have a very passive table where many people limp behind, you can limp your pocket pairs (e.g. 55), suited connectors (67s) and your low suited Aces (A5s) to speculate and try to hit a big hand vs many opponents and hope to stack someone.

All in all, I prefer not to limp unless someone has limped first and my hand plays well for seeing a cheap flop (the 3 hand-categories mentioned above).

Good luck

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As a general rule, many new players like limping a lot with speculative hands because they think that the hand will hit and they will wing big pots, however that's not the case (most of the time it won't hit, or it will hit something not good enough to win, neither weak enough to fold, putting them in tough situations)

However, even when you explain why limping much is not a good strategy, many players will keep limping more than they should (because of the idea of hitting a nice flop).

So if you're having trouble abandoning the idea, what i would recommend is limping small pairs and suited aces when other players already limped before you (that way you get some nice pot odds, and can easily fold when the flop doesn't hit, while still winning big pots when it does

Fernando Lopes

Fernando Lopes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
From a strategical standpoint, the problem with limping is that if you only do it with questionable hands, people will figure out that when you raise, your hands are strong, and when you limp, your hands are weak. So to not get run over by observant opponents you would need also limp enough strong hands to protect your limps with weak hands, which reduces the amount of money you win with the strong hands.

That makes limping overall not a great strategy. There are a few exceptions however:

- Limping on the Button is a viable strategy, and you can probably find limping ranges that work online.
- If limps get permanently raised because your table is very agressive, you can limp-trap with your big hands if you feel like people will fall for that. It could lead to huge payouts on your big hands, but who knows, you could've gotten paid out as well while raising. Do not limp with weak/questionable hands if the table is actively attacking limpers
- When you have a very passive table where many people limp behind, you can limp your pocket pairs (e.g. 55), suited connectors (67s) and your low suited Aces (A5s) to speculate and try to hit a big hand vs many opponents and hope to stack someone.

All in all, I prefer not to limp unless someone has limped first and my hand plays well for seeing a cheap flop (the 3 hand-categories mentioned above).

Good luck
Thank you, that's was very informative and helpful

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't know a single poker pro who says limping is totally wrong. However, there are many factors that often make other choices more profitable. In particular, when you flop medium strength hands, they are naturally more profitable against a few opponents postflop than against many opponents. For this reason alone, you should often not try to go into multiway pots, but instead thin out the field early on. In addition, aggressive play gives you initiative, which can benefit you after the flop if your opponent doesn't hit - regardless of whether you hit yourself.

However, it's not fundamentally wrong to limp in from time to time. The situation has to fit. Against weak opponents, for example, you can do it with strong starting hands because they don't recognize the trap. If the odds are right, you can also limp speculative hands from a late position (small suited connectors, small pocket pairs). If you flop your monster here, the odds are relatively high that with four, five or even six opponents, someone else will have a playable continuation and pay us off over one, two or even all streets. Position is very important here, though, because you don't catch these monsters very often and you want to avoid a medium hand behind you checking back or folding to a big bet.

As others have written, new and inexperienced players tend to rely on this longshot strategy, which makes it easy to predict. They pay too many raises after their limps, in the worst case even out of position, then hit the flop far too rarely and have to give up. And when they do hit, they suddenly have to become active, which is a signal for the good players to fold their good to medium hands. Ergo: The permanent limpers do not get their fat hands paid out.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is wrong for some may be right for others. In fact, the main thing is your results in the long run. Your results are also your statistics that will allow you to determine what is best for you and your style of play.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Limping is not the best strategy most times . That does not you should never.. in specific situation can be can be very profitable. The problem is many people who limp in all the time and many hands that aren’t really playable. If limping lots of trash. All you’re doing is saying yourself up to lose more often than not but that does not mean you should never do it. The thing is you must pick and choose the spot time and hand. To be honest, I almost never limp.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling a limper from better position with low to mid suited connectors, or low pair, is okay early in the game when cheap. The idea being you might hit it big for cheap w multiple callers. Otherwise, punish the limper(s) with a bet, or fold. What I learned from the 30 day class at least.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament, when the stack is big and I can limp late, but when it's less than 30 bb, I stop limping in-game

iveta777

iveta777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp is very bad play in early positions because you always get raise from later positions,when you raise and gets call or raise you can now opponents cards

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Using "Limp" as the opening of a hand is a strategy... and the only way to determine if it is right or wrong is if through that strategy you manage to be profitable and consistent since at the end of all that is what matters... .

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The question should be:
Why are you entering from middle position with a questionable hand?!

There must be some reason behind pros or even good players not doing this, right?!
But we also have some examples like Pluribus (AI poker bot) that make many lucrative sb limps.

Of course, like everything else in life, the answer also always comes with it depends.
On a passive table, perhaps.
But why not wait for good hands... or simply be the aggressor in the hand?

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think the more poker you play you will realize in general that limping is not a good play with a questionable hand from mid position. What is the plan when you get raised? This can be a real chip burner in tournaments. I think if you are on a table that when someone raises and you get 6 callers then raising does no good so you might as well limp but not with a bad hand in mid position. Save your chips for a better spot. Good luck!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that limping occurs when you enter the game when there is already a limp before you and you are in a long position with a speculative hand,