Laying down QQ pre on the bubble

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call and play to win. You put yourself in a better position to finish 1st then to just "place". I don't get dealt QQ's often enough to be folding to a shorty's all in or specially against a person I want to double against.

R

rawone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have two thoughts on this one:

One side is this: The small stack, unless a true nit, is likely to have a pretty big range for their all in call. At their level, they are pretty desperate to double up or at least steal some blinds and make it another turn of the table. So you are looking at almost any pocket pairs down to the 55 or 66 range even, or big suited connectors and stuff. In a vaccum (with no other action) it's a no brainer for you to call with your QQ. Putting the big stack in changes things quite a bit, because it's likely the number of cards or hands that can bust your QQ just doubled. Even if you are ahead of the small stack (not a given), the big stack may be playing at least one over card to you, maybe more. Their range in this is even wider than the short stack, because their loss isn't going to hurt them as much. Under this circumstance, folding your QQ seems painful, but probably not the worst play. Worse yet, even if you are not all in against the short stack, the big stack can push you after the flop and put you all in, which would be painful.

The other side: You are in a good position, getting pretty good odds for your call here. There are only a couple of hands that are absolutely ahead of you pre-flop, and you are getting good odds with two other players in. You have to remember that even if the big stack only called the other guy, you are still in a hand with the turn and river to bet as well. But the rewards here would certainly propel you on further, picking up at least 24BB is likely enough to carry you up the money and perhaps even further. I suspect a lot of people think that folding here would be you accepting to get a lower cash out in the end, because you missed one of the chances that the cards gave you.

BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the Big Stack's style and how he plays along with how much bigger of a stack he has than you. If he is loose, then I'd play because the big stack may fold if you are to shove depending on how he perceives you. Also, the chances of you losing to 2 hands with QQ if the Big Stack is to call is not likely. The small stack (depending on how small he is) could be going in with anything from an Ace/rag to a small pair which in either scenario you are way ahead. Only 2 hands better than QQ in my book and that's AA and KK!

D

DeadlyAim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It dependends on your strategy and the opponents.

If you got a read on a tight player going allin and its 3 handed then you got reason to fold.

If a big stack calls any short stack with J3, 108, Q4 garbage... call without hessitation basically heads up with short stack.

I'm really good short stack. I been last place for 1 hr... and I would never fold QQ unless you got a read on someone with an A or KK, AA rare... and assuming u don't fear Aces... it is heads up or at worst a desperate allin.

I'm starting to notice a trend short stacks tend to go allin desperation right before or when they get bb so you should shove in those instances or you notice a bully big stack.

In turbo... I hate turbo those are like Aces... hell 88 is like Aces sometimes.

If your goal was only to cash min... u did the right move. If u want to get double or more the min cash bad move.

Only times going allin QQ bad idea 2 tight players called you. 4+ handed or u did a super read and got some one on AA.

U seem to be good at cashing so stick to it... but just pay more attention to bully chip leader or desperate short stacks and play appropriately.

If you lose QQ oh well KJ... A3 at least u lost with the best better then being running out of chips and being forced lose with J3.

Hell, if u want people to fold tell them what u got lol. Don't be like Phil Hellmuth up there.