Late Registration in Tournaments

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with late registration at all!!! Players who register late add the same amount of money to the prize pool and start with less big blinds. I mainly play live tournaments and it is very commonplace for people to buy in with 10-60 BB...Originsl poster says it's not fair? How so?

WebWebber

WebWebber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had also registered at the last minute at a tournament. I then started with only 3 blinds. In the end, I finished the final table. Although only as 9th ....

WebWebber

WebWebber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But I do not like it in general. Would abolish it ...

Z

ZaXXoR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
I think in tournaments with late registration is not honest for player, who has started game from the start and somebody is starting in 10th level and won.

What do you think?

well these tournaments should be played different than tournaments with no rebuy, and the rebuy should be kept in mind when buying in to the tournament to be honest.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
I think in tournaments with late registration is not honest for player, who has started game from the start and somebody is starting in 10th level and won.

What do you think?

I just jumped into a tournament at the last minute and cashed without playing. Is it poker? Nope. Is it money for my bank roll? Yes!

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion on late registration has varied over time. Used to hate it categorically, but now I believe that in the case of 10-30 minute or so late reg, it's a "necessary evil." Like, sometimes shit happens, you get home from work late, or maybe you forget that you were gonna play this tournament today, or maybe DST shenanigans just happened and when it starts isn't when you think it does. Used that way, it can give people chances to play who don't really truly deserve to be denied the tournament.

But in the case of some clients (I'm looking at YOU Carbon Poker) they extend it to absurd levels, like 2 1/2 to 3 HOURS, and that, to me, has a 100% negative impact on poker's metagame--in a game where metagaming is very, very important.

Me I think every one should start at the start. If they can't then they should not be allowed to registered late. But I also think that people that just sets out should be kicked out of the tourney has well.

People who are sitting out for more than minutes at a time ARE, for practical purposes, out of the tournament. I agree there should be some sort of penalization for people who build a monster stack and just leave for an hour or more then come back after the bubble burst or something. That's not good sportsmanship.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot of people here do not like late registration, and to those people I thank you because without you the tournament would never start lol. I prefer registering later, because the game is much looser, and blinds are much bigger. early is so boring and you are not missing much value.

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Due to late registration, you have time to jump in last car of a departing train.

And all the rest...- burn it all with fire

Fratchen

Fratchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in tournaments from the start and try to forget, that there is a late-reg/rebuy period.

A

Alex12122312

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is quite fair, since the players who register immediately have more time to play chips. And those who went to late registration are not, and they have to take risks. To each his own))

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dont think its a matter of what is fair or not but more about strategy. Sometimes it is frustrating to play for 2 hours and see the same amount of players as when you started but the payout is usually significantly more. There are usually plenty of tournaments throughout the day that dont offer late registration to choose from.

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

What do you think?

With the correct game, during the registration you can raise your stack several times, and to the player who came to the game late, it will be hard to increase the stack. Since the blinds will be high, it's even good for you, you can put pressure on it with a large stack.

F

folkadelic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a nice way to try to win a tourney. But sometimes you just have no other option than a late registration

Claude Chiasson

Claude Chiasson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter to me. the important is how you play your hand.

J

JuicyJoeS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg is awesome in certain scenarios.. Have u ever been trollin the acr lobby looking for a game to play and ran over a GTD tour that hasnt reached the gtd, couple mins from out of late reg, with say f.e. 110 people left and 99 are getting paid.. I know I have and as long as my BR will accompany the move to a close extent. Then just hold out til ITM and once ITM just for the gusto.. if u fail then oh well u just earned urself a small return on a few min lobby troll.. I spun into a $6 that hand huge rollover possibilites on ACR.. I spun in for .18.. Guess where i ended?? anyone?? Well I ended in 7th for $80.. this was just last week and u can verify the win per sharkscope(my sharkscope not great for acr lol, this story is true) So late reg isnt always bad in my opinion.
The reason for me telling this story, is cuz it was the $6 r/a 2k.. it was near 1k with less than 20 mins left late reg.. i decided to try the spin in for $1 or less before i tried one barrel for $6 cuz my br was only at $40 at the time and didnt really want to risk.. the player left according to how many paid were very close.. it was a gamble that paid off because of the late reg.. I also took no rebuys and no adds.. only the .18 spin in

Last edited:
J

jboney

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's not unfair to late reg., everybody starts with the amount of blinds they are comfortable with playing. Somebody likes to see the action from the very start, some join later on and have to cope with shorter time to increase their stack to survive. "It's question of taste", said the dog licking it's nuts!

nyteowl352

nyteowl352

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites have their share of R/A tournies due to the fact that more time= more people registered= more money+ more places paid.

D

Dinnelkilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the late registration. It's not fair lol

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 2hr late reg is great for bounty builder tournaments though. You get a wave of players registering at the end of late reg with like 10bb and they're shoving a pretty wide range. Great oppourtunity for a deeper stack to pick up small pots AND bounties!

Yes it benefits both parties. Those that wish to enter late do so and infuses the tournament with extra cash. Then the bigger stacks can call wider and earn some extra bounties. Creates more action!!

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Registration

This is something that's really got me scratching my head. I see people joining tourneys that have been running 2+ hours and was just wondering if that's smart or not so smart. Especially in like a bounty tourney. Usually the avg stack is at least 3 times the starting stack.

So is there some sort of strategy here? Or is it just a case of people jumping in when they can? Isn't it best to just be there from the start?

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it seems to me that logging on late registration is not a good idea, I think that this is calculated for impulsive people who have a strong desire for revenge

Stepgov

Stepgov

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the players are too late to register to win a few cents.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When I'm late for the start of the tournament, I use late registration. But I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournament.

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late Registration???

When I'm late for the start of the tournament, I use late registration. But I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournament.

What is late registration, and how does it work? I've seen something about this on BoL, but never followed up on it.:confused: