Has late registration gone too far?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of late registrations are now going on for 3 hours. How long do you think these should be. Years ago you either did not have them or they were limited to an hour.

Now you have no idea how many players will be in a tournament except a rough guess by the guaranteed amount. It can also create a funny situation where sometimes players have not has to play and last the first few hours of a tournament, late reg just before it closes and while entering extremely short stacked can enter at a point when sometimes more than 50% of the remaining field are paid.

Should registrations be shorter?

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the Cash Tourneys I see usually only last an hour. freerolls I've been seeing crazy amount of time for late registration. In reality though by the time the last person can come in the blinds are so damn far that if they come in and jam it doesn't really affect anything , just the Overall Prize at the end of the tourney.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
long late registration is made to cover the guarantee of the tournament, so that we blocked the initial prize of the tournament with our inputs,it is clear for a long time,there are many tournaments with late registration at 1 hour, mostly hot tournaments

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All the Cash Tourneys I see usually only last an hour. Freerolls I've been seeing crazy amount of time for late registration. In reality though by the time the last person can come in the blinds are so damn far that if they come in and jam it doesn't really affect anything , just the Overall Prize at the end of the tourney.

I am currently in one right now that is 3.5 hours of late registration. I suppose that's how they guarantee so much but I find it to be so many now with lengthy late registrations. I do not mind the hour ones too much but I find 3 hours excessive.

I rarely enter very late but I have done it before just before it closes and cashed. I cannot remember how many blinds I had, I think maybe 8 but go lucky and doubled up a couple of times quickly at the start and because the antes are large at this point your actually more than doubling up. You do need more luck when so short but I did feel like it was a different tournament for me than those that started at the beginning.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's still hard enough to progress in a tournament if you too late to register especially if you do not win the first hands play. for bounty builder tournaments it's even harder to progress because everyone will want to take a bonus more thanks to you.hesement he has tournaments only 1h or 30 min late for registration.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah long late reg does my head in. Last night played in a tourney with 3 hour late reg. By the end of the late reg it had gone from 130 players to 466 players. I think an hour of late reg is fine anymore than that lengthens the tournament too much.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I have played in a tournament that is 3+ hours of late registration.

And when the period ends there are about 600 players in it, and the pay out is 575 players :):)

I love playing these as 99% of the time you will cash.

Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, that's what I am finding and needing to wait hours before you know the final amount of players. I think I would rather they don't guarantee quite as much and finish the reg earlier.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played in a tournament that is 3+ hours of late registration.

And when the period ends there are about 600 players in it, and the pay out is 575 players :):)

I love playing these as 99% of the time you will cash.

Thanks
Manoj
Bluffzone68

So at what point do you enter? I assume pretty late trying to get into high percentage payout points. Would you be more or less inclined to play one of those from the beginning compared to a normal reg tournament?

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I start from the beginning as it’s a free roll 0.01$ entry and a rebuy is 0.22$
So I have to be alive and kicking to make the cash.

[Q UOTE=pjokay;5030537]So at what point do you enter? I assume pretty late trying to get into high percentage payout points. Would you be more or less inclined to play one of those from the beginning compared to a normal reg tournament?[/QUOTE]

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I start from the beginning as it’s a free roll 0.01$ entry and a rebuy is 0.22$
So I have to be alive and kicking to make the cash.

[Q UOTE=pjokay;5030537]So at what point do you enter? I assume pretty late trying to get into high percentage payout points. Would you be more or less inclined to play one of those from the beginning compared to a normal reg tournament?
[/QUOTE]

Good it's a cheap rebuy, long registrations with rebuys can be very expensive!

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah sometimes I have seen long late registration periods that I have believed to be too excessive and should be shorter. In my opinion they should limit the late registration to two hours at most.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a situation where the house is making that call or are there players that are asking for it?

Re entry bugs me too. My opinion is you shouldn't have to beat the same player twice. Once you bust somebody, you've beaten them for this event. Seeing them again feels like fighting a ghost back from the dead.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah sometimes I have seen long late registration periods that I have believed to be too excessive and should be shorter. In my opinion they should limit the late registration to two hours at most.

I agree, I hadn't spotted the one I m currently in is 3.5 hours plus re-entries although that's my bad. 3.5 hours is still almost double that and I think two hours is plenty. Oh well just another hour to go of the one I am in, hopefully it will fly by!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Yes, I also think the rooms are kinda exaggerating it meanwhile with this late registration period. I liked it also more, when there was none or only one hour.
And I also think so, that it even becomes worse when there are still a lot of re-entries.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like them and,don't play them.:)

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I also think the rooms are kinda exaggerating it meanwhile with this late registration period. I liked it also more, when there was none or only one hour.
And I also think so, that it even becomes worse when there are still a lot of re-entries.

The entries are a pain and on 888 it does not look like they count them as additional players when calculating the amount of players paid (I think pokerstars do as you see the reentries listed separately) which seems unfair as the player has been knocked out and come back as a new player. It's also irritating if you get a super aggressive maniac you manage to knock out and they jump back in. It can be difficult to knock these players out as a lot fold to them. But again if they have a re-entry it should really be 1, but to allow 5 in late reg is ridiculous.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One hour is long enough in my opinion. With 3 hours u just feel like it is a never ending battle.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the tournaments are ridiculous like 13-14 hours if you get deep with 4 hours of late registration

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR has 5 to 6 hours late registration which basically makes the first 5 to 6 hours of play irrelevant and dangerous.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR has 5 to 6 hours late registration which basically makes the first 5 to 6 hours of play irrelevant and dangerous.

Unless you are one of the ones building your chip stack. On the other hand I agree.. the excessively long late registration is a pain in the rear. I've spent hours building a stack only to be done in towards the end as the betting gets looser and 'bad beats' knock you. A lot of newcomers play aggressively to get a couple double ups before it closes. (they can also build your stack with this play) Most of the time I try to hit the happy medium of missing a lot of the 'late registration' but not so late as I'm totally under the gun when I enter. An hour.. maybe two in bigger tourneys is where I believe late registration should be set at.

Just arbitrary thoughts from the peanut gallery.

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally won't enter a tournament unless my starting stack is at least 20 BB... I think this has grown because of the impulsive nature of this day and age. People don't want to commit to a certain time or date and the sites want to get as many people as possible to just log-in and start playing. But it's been going on for a long time, many years now. It really makes online a different game.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally won't enter a tournament unless my starting stack is at least 20 BB... I think this has grown because of the impulsive nature of this day and age. People don't want to commit to a certain time or date and the sites want to get as many people as possible to just log-in and start playing. But it's been going on for a long time, many years now. It really makes online a different game.

You have a point. I used to get in as late as possible, in a lets say 20$ tournament buy in, and then I hope I get a good hand within first few hands and double up. The blinds are big alreafy so I can steal some chips by all-ining preflop with semi good hands. And if I double up, there I am with an average stack, well into the tournament, with a fresh mind and well rested, surely an advantage.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it should depend on the type of a tournament and stuff like that, it would be cool if u could late reg just before it closes and get a piece of a prize :)

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of late registrations are now going on for 3 hours. How long do you think these should be. Years ago you either did not have them or they were limited to an hour.

Now you have no idea how many players will be in a tournament except a rough guess by the guaranteed amount. It can also create a funny situation where sometimes players have not has to play and last the first few hours of a tournament, late reg just before it closes and while entering extremely short stacked can enter at a point when sometimes more than 50% of the remaining field are paid.

Should registrations be shorter?

Hi There
Fully agree with One hour only for late reg
We should make some kind of movement to request this limitation
I´m in for it
Rgds