Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pokerfreak56

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
registering early in a rebuy where u are willing to risk a coupla rebuys is a big advantage because of the typical looseness if the play u have more opportunity to pick your spots and double or often triple up

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration in rebuys

Once I entered a rebuy tourney with about a minute left until late registration ended. I immediately rebought and then added on. I discovered i was less than 1.75 double ups from the chip leader. I ended cashing in third place.
Some of the advantage of doing this comes from not being tempted to over-rebuy and your investment is limited to 3 buy-ins.
I have since decided that this is an effective and profitable strategy for me b/c when I buy-in at kickoff, I usually am the victim of one or more of the aforementioned and dreaded suckouts which forces me to spend more than the 3 buy-ins I spend with last minute registration.
Try it you'll like it. I do.

FITEMAN

K

Kukucska

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I hate playing at a table full of suckers who play terribly. So hard to win when all the players are so horrible.

Do you mean online poker tables or live tournaments? if you talk about the first one, then I suggest you to check out good Poker Room Reviews, so you'll know where the real pros are playing...

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, if you're having problems with early deeper stacked play it might be that you are pushing a bit too hard with top pair/overpair type hands (as indicated by the "early hands are the most damaging" comment).

Deep stacked play is about implied odds, which favors the suited connectors/small pairs hands, rather than the big pairs/top pair top kicker type hands. Obviously the donks will be playing dominated hands like KT and will usually be paying off your AK when a king flops, but those times they outflop you can be costly if you aren't using pot control sometimes with your one pair hands.
+1 to "entering late is a bad idea". It does seem like it might come down to how well you play a deep stack though. If you're -EV above 50bb it might work out to register late. However, I think a superior maneuver would be to learn how to play deep stacks.

I'm pretty comfortable at the early stages of a tournament. I know for sure that I'm almost never going to bust out on those stages. That's part of solid play in those spots, rarely going broke.

Imagine a good player registering on time vs. a good player registering late over 100 tournaments. There are a few broad categories the 1st player will be in by the time the 2nd player registers.

1) Stack is essentially average, perhaps slightly below. Solid early stage play, just didn't see any hands or get good spots.
2) Out. Got into a confrontation (likely with a spew-y fish) and got unlucky. In almost all of these spots the good player got their chips in with +EV.
3) Big stack. Those same confrontations from #2 worked out in favor of the good player and now they have a nice stack.

#1 will happen most of the time, say 50-60% of the time. Of the remaining 40 tournaments the good player will have a big stack far more often than they will be eliminated. Let's just give a standard line of 2:1 favorite as the average equity our 1st Hero had in their all-in spots. So 27:13, 27 times the 1st hero will be double-up or better, 13 times they'll be out.

Scenario 1 is +EV for the player that registered on time. Stack sizes being essentially equal, the 1st player had the time to develop reads and build an image (probably a tight one that will make stealing easier).

Obviously scenario 2 is +EV for the late registering player and scenario 3 is +EV for the standard time player. Overall the guy who registers on time will be way +EV over the one who registers late.

Edit: Regarding Phil Helmuth, he shows up late for major events. Levels take over an hour in those things and players are starting with 200bb stacks or something. Helmuth is walking in with essentially the starting stack and 1st level blinds, so it's very different than an online late-reg.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much haven't read any of this thread, is there anything in here worthwhile? Or should I just lock the thread?

Not trying to troll btw, I seriously don't know if there is any good discussion in here or not, and I'm not trying to read all three pages lol.

B

bigbigbucs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shame on you!.

I pretty much haven't read any of this thread, is there anything in here worthwhile? Or should I just lock the thread?

Not trying to troll btw, I seriously don't know if there is any good discussion in here or not, and I'm not trying to read all three pages lol.
. How can you even post having not read the thread. I hope you are kidding and if not are you just spamming to post?. It was a great thread with many schools of thought posted. And most are valid points. So please go back read it all then come back and post again with your own thoughts. Meanwhile I will post some of my thoughts.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

About every two weeks it gets a bump and is revived. When I read the subject my intial thoughts were, if late registration is your strategy might have bigger concerns with MTT.

Glancing through, there some quotes (good advice) from this month being pulled from last month. Looks like members have more to say on late registration unfortunately.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
. How can you even post having not read the thread. I hope you are kidding and if not are you just spamming to post?. It was a great thread with many schools of thought posted. And most are valid points. So please go back read it all then come back and post again with your own thoughts. Meanwhile I will post some of my thoughts.

Yup, I'm just spamming, I need more poast for freerollz klub!

Thanks, consider it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.