Late register on purpose?

Would you late register a deepstack tourney on purpose?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • You idiot, play the whole tourney or don't play

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

Pinokio_385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried playing the tournament since the beginning ... because I think that later on I can play just for luck

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always late register and have success in MTTs doing so.

If it's a RB/A, I register as late as possible, take the re-buy, then play uber tight until the add-on.

If it's just a re-entry, I late reg with ~20 BBs and don't re-enter after that.

I'm completely find starting with ~20 BBs and playing a super aggressive game to build a stack. Most players at the microstakes are really weak in the mid-late stages with average stacks and are easy to exploit. Yes, luck plays a huge factor when starting with such a low stack, but if I am able to take advantage and run well in key spots, I'm good.

The main reason for doing this is because my style is to play uber tight at the start and uber aggro at the later stages when a lot of players tighten up as they get close to the money. Since I'm not going to be playing many hands early, instead of bleeding chips, I just late register and it's basically the same thing.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To my mind , late registration is not so good, because, I think if you register late , you need to have really very good hands during first minutes, and as we know it is not so often!!!!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nope

dont understand why you would dodge the fish by waiting until they are out to register, fish are the worst players and tend to go out first

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like levels but not too many number of levels in one tournament but more I like tournament which dont have late level registration because then I dont need to wait late registration to end to know how much players left on table.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few tournaments that the first few levels just are not worth playing until the ante kicks in.

Anki_KB

Anki_KB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always register in the last minute to the League tournaments. I am in Elementary level, and if I register after 9 minutes of play usually there are 2000 fish busted out already... And exactly, if I have to choose between bleeding out because I don't want to shove all in with anything and just waiting till most of fish are gone I choose the latter.

I agree about late reg in elementary. There are many all inners there and many players gets eliminated early during late reg time. often many all ins in the same time, making it riskier to play even premium hands. Higher up in the league (at least university and especialy in masters) there are less all in gamers. the structure of the game makes it harder to get points and its an advantage to start earlier to not get shortstacked to soon and miss those 15 percent that gets points /itm. But your playingstyle can affect when its most profitable for you to get in the game. You need to find out for your self when its best to start.

Last edited:
Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm talking about this specific situation. I don't mean events where you're just getting people playing badly. I'm talking about when you have a disturbing number of people shoving on basically whatever in what is meant to be a long tournament. If being knocked out by bullshit bad luck in the first three levels of what should be a like 12 hour tournament doesn't bother you, and if you're willing to take that kind of risk, then yeah.

It all has to do with how you approach risk management in poker. I prefer to small ball things so that I'm not risking outrageously on a single hand, many prefer to play pure odds regardless of the size of bets and just take their lumps when they get unlucky. I believe both approaches can work, this is just what I prefer. And from my play against you TeUnit it's obvious you prefer the other way even without you responding to me. So let's all get along, lol.

EDIT: This was supposed to multiquote TeUnit and Anki_KB. The multiquote function appears to not be working. Off to the SQA Thread!

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
dont understand why you would dodge the fish by waiting until they are out to register, fish are the worst players and tend to go out first

I agree about late reg in elementary. There are many all inners there and many players gets eliminated early during late reg time. often many all ins in the same time, making it riskier to play even premium hands. Higher up in the league (at least university and especialy in masters) there are less all in gamers. the structure of the game makes it harder to get points and its an advantage to start earlier to not get shortstacked to soon and miss those 15 percent that gets points /itm. But your playingstyle can affect when its most profitable for you to get in the game. You need to find out for your self when its best to start.

Testing multiquote, seems to be working in Firefox

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/late-register-purpose-329517/post-3760057.html

Linking post seems to work aswell, maybe an issue with Microsoft Edge

P

P3RF3CT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Later is better half ppl lost there chips

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Registration should end in 2-3 minutes after the start of the tournament. I always had this opinion

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play my premium hands very strongly early stages because you are more likely to get called even all in by weak hands who don't seem to care about rebuying. You've got to take risks in poker so what better time than when you are being selective about cards you play and others aren't?

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u are a good player you should play from the start of the tournament so you can capitalize on the worse than you players(the majority of the chips you will win will come from these players).
You should keep in mind that when deep-stacked the hands values changes, suited connectors and small to medium pairs have more value than hands like AK because of the huge implied odds you will be getting with these types of hands.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know, play deep is all what a good player would want. Look wsop for example they are deep because the ability is what should rest on the November 9.

When you register late you are taking high blinds and start playing push and pull what is for me more risk than play early with you best selected hands.

Although each one of us as your own style and likes to play your game.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I play one table, then I'm more of a supporter of playing from the very beginning, this gives me the opportunity to study well rivals before the blinds grow up

vinnyvee

vinnyvee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
late reg chips are more valuable

The later you register, the more your chips are worth. your chips represent a percentage of the prize pool, so the more folks that bust, the more your starting chips have in equity. Many pros know this and jump in very late getting bang for their buck. Online deep stacks are great for this. I have joined tourneys on the old bovada that were very close to the money with a few minutes left late reg. I jump in on money bubble with 10 bigs and shove with appropriate hands. A lot of weak players fold too much on the bubble and I have managed to build a stack and get in the money of a tourney others have spent hours playing in. I dont have a ton of time to play poker and this late reg push?fold strategy really pays off sometimes. its def never boring or a grind. Your either out, or in the money with a short field.

I

IamRevich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the author. It saves a lot of time and you do not need to sit for an hour in the low blinds. I tried the late registration several times, minus the fact that some players have already stuffed a big stack, and it will be difficult for you to compete with them in the late game.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You are denying yourself the ability to take advantage of as many hands as possible. the only reason why you would think this is a good idea is if you are so doubtful in your poker ability that you fear making mistakes, if you are this scared then you shouldn't be playing at that stake in the first place. :)