Late reg players piss me off!!

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate Late Registration too... Shorter ones better than long...

I hate Add-on and Rebuys more...

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This goes both ways. I would play from the beginning if the registration period was only 3-4 levels. However, where I play registration is typically 6 or more levels long. The first time I played there, I showed up at the start. There was hardly anybody there. Most tables were empty or had 1-2 players at them. I've learned to show up somewhere around level 3-4 and this has worked pretty well for me.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, many times it is too long but you have to be honest before signing up for a tournament you know the conditions and if you register for the tournament under those conditions it is because you are accepting them, it also bothers me a bit but I try to continue playing my style of play without allowing this to influence, I understand your frustration but the conditions of the tournament were there and you were the one who decided to play it you must accept them and play the tournament with them

M

Meeshu71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose in a way I'm guilty of this ....

I actually give it 30/45mins before starting to play in HORSE tournaments on Stars as it gets rid of calling stations as this is a limit game.

Thanks for advice and info guys

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be frustrating in the moment, but maybe review the hands and look at how you played them, did the late reg player throw you off how you'd typically play those hands??

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I actually prefer entering late, it makes the decisions a whole lot easier when you are the small stack

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who do not like late registration, there are tournaments where it is not;)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have joined late reg games and have used the add on as a tool to get ahead but I understand the frustration with the tactic ! It is very frustrating to grind away and get ahead a bit then someone joins and starts going all in and maybe doubles up on an average hand. Can be very annoying .

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give me a plain old high stakes tournament. No deep pocket rebuy maniacs. Good luck.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like those players that late reg are easy money. They're coming in behind the 8-ball already and they want to make aggressive moves to build up to where we got to right away. All we have to do is pick them off with stronger hands.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it mainly in rebuy tourneys. I don't like to get in rebuys early, I usually end up using up a lot of buyins and decimating my bankroll.

On the other hand, my biggest win so was late regging into a 6k gtd at the last minute and taking it down. So I think late regging can be strategic in certain situations.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to play hands with the the fish, the fish are usually the first players out, if you register late you miss the best fishing.

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to play hands with the the fish, the fish are usually the first players out, if you register late you miss the best fishing.

Good point this is often true. To go right along with that, if its a rebuy tournament you have an even greater chance to build a healthy stack early. Rebuy plus "fishing".

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it can be very frustrating that a player who has just entered takes half of your chips going all-in with 22 and beating your kings or aces. So in the last minutes of the late registration I think it´s better to play very tight, almost only premium hands. Sometimes you will lose, but the minority of the time.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree 90%, short late reg. is ok, 20 or 30 min. if the Registration is only open for a short time. The ones that start registration 4hrs before should have no late reg. I realy hate the site that has a 3hr late reg.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should be no long than 20 minutes and no more unlimited rebuys they also ruin games.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I love late registration but hate how ridiculous they have become. 2 hours and sometimes more online just makes me no play them. Even live its becoming to much. Tournaments that play 7-8 hours with late registration is to much. Last one I played only had was like that and it really is to much. 20-30 minutes online and and hour or maybe 2 live would be fine.

geitenkamper

geitenkamper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the course language guys but it really does.

After being in a tournament for almost 2hrs I get a guy buying in and beside me and takes me out in 3 hands.

Is it a good idea to late buy in and try to double,treble up rather than grind it out?

I was up and down in chips but feel unsatisfied playing this amount of time just to have late buy ins come in and go all in every hand then get out drawn

What's your take on late registration?

Late registration can be very usefull especially with high add-ons and or rebuys.
The other site, when you are a decent pokerplayer and you register early, you can see more hands and take your chances.

At partypoker, satelites from $1,- i like the late registration, when there is only few players registered f.e. 26/40 left and 15 tickets.

With the high blinds i make from 1o $1,- tournaments at least 3 $5,- tickets, so always profitable.

For me 3 hours late registration or even longer should be forbidden, way too long. :vroam:

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

After being in a tournament for almost 2hrs I get a guy buying in and beside me and takes me out in 3 hands.

Is it a good idea to late buy in and try to double,treble up rather than grind it out?

I was up and down in chips but feel unsatisfied playing this amount of time just to have late buy ins come in and go all in every hand then get out drawn

Your problem is in bad maths. I'll calculate the equation basing on provided info.

1) Late registration for 2hrs+, so the starting stack is 200-300BB and average tournament duration is approx 8 hours.

2) You've been on tilt during first 2 hours.

(Why you've been on tilt? Well a)you've lost whole stack during 3 hands against the same player b) you've typed this post being unhappy with status quo. it's take it or leave it, you can't change anything about the late registration.

3) Instead of being happy about loose short stacks at the end of the late registration who will more likely increase your stack, instead of thanking and smiling - you're saying that you're dissatisfied with time spent.

So it looks like you're loose/aggressive player with wide range of opening hands, who looses often and can't have objective look at his subjective problems and state of mind.

Good poker also means good discipline. Writing such posts like this one of yours is like walking 100 miles on your feet carrying a small stone in your pocket just to throw it at a mountain cause you don't like that mountain. And this means that your discipline is weak. There is nothing you can do about late registration, but there is a lot of upgrades you can do for your body, logic and mental state. Sorry, I might sound rude, had nothing offensive on my mind, just wanted to help.

G

Gr1ndah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once i registered in the last minute a Turbo Tournament and I won it. Yes, of course it is more a gamble for the first minutes but when you get your stack fast you have chances

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I hate late registration and the poker sites that allow it for 5 hours. I don't hate the players who do it. I took option 1 and quit playing MTTs because I have a life outside of online poker but option 2 of doing something you hate because you can't not play remains.

macha2003

macha2003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like to start fresh like you. I like the whole idea of grinding and play poker :)

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it aswell sometimes since i think i play better when the blinds are a little higher than instead playing straight away,

cause when you get a decent hand people are less likely to stack off their chips so soon,

So thats why i late-reg in a few tournaments so i have more of a chance of people staking the chips off with hands like aj/aq off then they would early in the tournament, but everyone has their favorite time of playing some at the start some in the middle and some the last second
For me the middle works the best. :)

Amen. Some folks go nuts early and deepstacked. It's like a minefield.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People that register late will play with a smaller stack, and if you manage to get a big stack early on you can put in a tough position these players. I like to think that most (not everyone) players that register late are only increasing the prize pool, and giving away chips.